Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 11:21 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,212 times

Advertisements

I have a good friend who actually got a bad case of shingles. She had been in the study for the first shot and received the shot. As part of being in that study they were supposed to pay for any expenses related to shingles, and she had to actually fight to get her coverage. I guess it was a couple years after the shot that she got shingles. So, at least for her, that first shot didn't work.

I just got the pneumonia shot (the 2nd one dr. called a booster). My arm was sore for a week and I felt like crap for a couple days.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:38 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Ah, I wondered how long it would take for the conspiracy theories and corporate greed gripes to appear.

Yep, someone has to produce the vaccines. Do the many years of blind and double-blind studies, testing, and acquire FDA approvals. This is not a cheap or short process. And yes, profits will be made for their efforts. That's what we do in this country. Make profits. That's the whole point of capitalism.
They need to raise the price then, so they can finish studying the safety:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, Shingrix may be given any time more than 8 weeks after Zostavax.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...grix/faqs.html

"How long after a person received Zostavax—the shingles vaccine in use since 2006—should I wait to give Shingrix?

A: Studies confirmed that Shingrix was safe and immunogenic when administered 5 or more years after Zostavax.

Intervals shorter than 5 years have not been studied. However, there are no data or theoretical concerns to indicate Shingrix would be less safe or effective when given less than 5 years after Zostavax.

You may consider an interval shorter than 5 years, especially if your patient was >70 years old when they received Zostavax. Wait a minimum of 8 weeks after a person received Zostavax to give Shingrix."
I mean; given the cost, you would think they could offer more than “no data” & “theoretically safe”.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:46 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,449,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
$170????????? I'll take my chances.

Take it from someone that has seen many people deal with Shingles, you would sell your soul to be rid of it if you came down with it......praying you are fortunate enough not to have to deal with it in your life time if you are so cheap that $170 is more important to you than weeks of suffering......

Old 05-27-2018, 06:34 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
They need to raise the price then, so they can finish studying the safety:

I mean; given the cost, you would think they could offer more than “no data” & “theoretically safe”.
Exactly.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:00 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,080,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Take it from someone that has seen many people deal with Shingles, you would sell your soul to be rid of it if you came down with it......praying you are fortunate enough not to have to deal with it in your life time if you are so cheap that $170 is more important to you than weeks of suffering......
My mother-in-law had shingles a few times, and it made her uncomfortable. She always had to ride it out because by the time she was able to get to the doctor it was too late for any effective treatment they always claimed. I don't recall her offering to sell her soul or it lasting more than a couple weeks, but I have no doubt it effects people differently just like everything else does. Also, she did not have it more than 3 times in her lifetime. My grandmother only had it once in her lifetime, and it seemed to be more painful for her. There was no vaccine available to have prevented the one occasion that my grandmother had it.

My MIL still didn't think it was a rough enough experience to warrant her needing to take the vaccine. As she aged and took on more maladies she felt that she was taking too much stuff as it was and became selective on how much stuff she allowed to be put in her body. That was her choice, and as queen bee of the family, we almost always respected her choices.

It's great that the vaccine is available for people that want it. Personal choices should always be respected.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 05-27-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-27-2018, 07:32 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I was phoned by my doctors receptionist to go and have mine done.......free.. in the UK... so I looked into it before I went.. and discovered that with compromised immune systems. that I shouldnt have it done. I talked it over with the nurse and she took me off the list to have it done.. and explained to me that I would have to have read and signed a form first anyway before it could be done as the questionaire asks about underlying illnesses....Now this might be the type of vaccine used by the NHS and not one being used elsewhere , Im not sure.. but I read that children or anyone under 50 cant have this vaccine as its not been tested yet for that age group....The brand name of the shingles vaccine given in the UK is Zostavax. It can be given at any time of the year.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:33 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yes, too bad they couldn't offer everyone a miracle cure, or prevention with 100% guarentees, or a promise of no ill side-effects. Damn those big Pharma slackers!

WE DEMAND PERFECTION AND NOTHING LESS!

Old 05-27-2018, 08:14 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I was phoned by my doctors receptionist to go and have mine done.......free.. in the UK... so I looked into it before I went.. and discovered that with compromised immune systems. that I shouldnt have it done. I talked it over with the nurse and she took me off the list to have it done.. and explained to me that I would have to have read and signed a form first anyway before it could be done as the questionaire asks about underlying illnesses....Now this might be the type of vaccine used by the NHS and not one being used elsewhere , Im not sure.. but I read that children or anyone under 50 cant have this vaccine as its not been tested yet for that age group....The brand name of the shingles vaccine given in the UK is Zostavax. It can be given at any time of the year.
Zostovax is the old vaccine that was given in the US.

Shingles Vaccine. The CDC recommends that healthy adults ages 50 and older get the shingles vaccine, Shingrix, which provides greater protection than Zostavax. The vaccine is given in two doses, 2 to 6 months apart. Zostavax is still in use for some people ages 60 and older.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:51 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
It's great that the vaccine is available for people that want it. Personal choices should always be respected.
One hopes that personal choice is based on an informed decision and not just chatter on an internet forum.
For someone who truly can't afford it but wants to get it a visit to the mfg assistance website might be worthwhile. https://www.gskforyou.com/vaccines-patient-assistance/

Old 05-27-2018, 10:18 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I know someone whose mother had shingles while pregnant. This person is immune to both chickenpox and shingles, according to the doctor. And 50 years later, has never had either. Is this new science to support vaccines for everyone at all times?
Live virus vaccines are not given during pregnancy because of the possibility that they will cause birth defects. Viruses mess with Cellular DNA.

If you are raising livestock, and just concerned with having healthy animals, live virus vaccines are given before breeding, and killed virus/bacterin vaccines are given during pregnancy. That provides the maximum load of maternal antibodies to the newborn. Access to colostrum (first milk) is essential for maternal antibodies. Right after birth, the mammary glands of the mother strip immune globulin from the mother's bloodstream and concentrates it in the colostrum. The newborn's pancreas is not active yet, so the globulin is not denatured in the intestinal tract, and goes into the newborn blood stream, where it provides protection against a host of diseases. Maternal antibodies fade, but give the young one a good start. They will still need vaccination as the immune system matures.

I doubt very much that a fetal infection could confer lifelong immunity to anything. In most cases, the fetal immune system does not even exist. Under good conditions, maternal antibodies will provide protection for a few months at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.