Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:18 PM

801 posts, read 452,433 times

Advertisements

Haven't checked the link yet but who remembers the jingle: "Brill Cream, a little dab'll do ya, Brill Cream, you'll look so debonair, Brill Cream, a little dab'll do ya!, they'll love to run their fingers through your hair!"

That was run on tv so often when I was a kid, it is burned into my brain forever. I can imagine myself on my death bed and that dang jingle will run through my head. I think of it sometimes when I put some oil or conditioner in my hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 06:33 PM

Portable transistor radios:
https://www.ericwrobbel.com/collecti...tor-radios.htm

I remember having to be in bed by 10 but taking my little portable transistor radio with the one-ear earpiece in my ear, listening to the big A.M. radio station previewing the latest Beatles album in 1967 while I was supposed to be fast asleep. If a parent came in to check on me, they couldn't tell I was laying there with my earphone in, hearing the latest from the Fab Four!

Old 05-30-2018, 07:01 PM

How about the Aurora Monster Models?
http://culttvman.com/main/wp-content...mmgov0coll.jpg

And how about Rat Fink? https://www.flickr.com/photos/aresau...tos/2678609109

Old 05-30-2018, 07:21 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,670,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Haven't checked the link yet but who remembers the jingle: "Brill Cream, a little dab'll do ya, Brill Cream, you'll look so debonair, Brill Cream, a little dab'll do ya!, they'll love to run their fingers through your hair!"

That was run on tv so often when I was a kid, it is burned into my brain forever. I can imagine myself on my death bed and that dang jingle will run through my head. I think of it sometimes when I put some oil or conditioner in my hair.
Yup, I remember that jingle plus all the Burma Shave signs along the sides of the road when I was a young kid. My favorite is:

Within this vale

of toil

and sin

your head grows bald

but not your chin – use

Burma-Shave

Old 05-30-2018, 10:33 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Yup, I remember that jingle plus all the Burma Shave signs along the sides of the road when I was a young kid. My favorite is:

Within this vale

of toil

and sin

your head grows bald

but not your chin – use

Burma-Shave
"Farmer Brown

Who's bald on top

Says,

Wish I could

Reverse the crop!'

Burma-Shave"

Farmer Brown was depicted as a billiard-ball bald man with a huge bushy beard.

Reverse the crop, indeed, but if he'd used Burma-Shave, he wouldn't have had a crop at all!

Old 05-30-2018, 11:07 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Just this morning as I was shampooing my hair, I suddenly started thinking, "Halo, everybody, Halo ..." and also remembered Tame cream rinse. And for that matter, what ever happened to Prell shampoo, with the pearls slowly sinking down into the green shampoo?
My wife just bought a bottle of Prell yesterday. It's still out there.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:09 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
"Farmer Brown

Who's bald on top

Says,

Wish I could

Reverse the crop!'

Burma-Shave"

Farmer Brown was depicted as a billiard-ball bald man with a huge bushy beard.

Reverse the crop, indeed, but if he'd used Burma-Shave, he wouldn't have had a crop at all!

That's a new one on me. Must have either been before my time, or maybe a regional thing because don't remember seeing those signs along any highway in NY or NJ.

Do remember Noxzema shave cream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM59nSkjEWU

Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My wife just bought a bottle of Prell yesterday. It's still out there.

Yes, Prell is still out there, but having been around the block a few times since P&G sold the brand. It is now owned by the Scott's Liquid Gold company. Another flashback since my grandmother used that stuff on her kitchen cabinets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prell

Old 05-31-2018, 06:58 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ahh Brylcreem, stuff of every guy from BMOC to greaser.

And *very* successful men!

"Brylcreem, a little dab will do ya".

"You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent".

Old 05-31-2018, 07:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
I was born in1950 and remember, as a little girl, wearing white gloves to church on Sunday. I carried a small white patent leather purse with nothing in it but a handkerchief.

As a six year old, I had a slip with a balloon strip--a kind of blow-up hoop skirt to wear under my long flower girl dress for my aunt's wedding.

And, I loved the poodle skirt, I received when a teenage neighbor out grew it.

Remember Toni home perms? Nothing like trading your naturally straight and healthy hair for a mess of long-lasting frizz.

I had one of those slips and I remember going to church, especially Easter Sunday wearing a dress with that slip, ankle socks with lace on them and my patent leather shoes. I also remember the Toni perms which never worked well for me as I had stick straight hair. I recall using empty frozen orange juice containers for hair rollers when the flip was in style. I hated sleeping on rollers and loved it when the electric rollers came out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement