Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 10:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Lol thanks Minerva.

I always hear that retirees do the same stuff they used to. Not so for many of us who may have aged into physical limitations precluding our former active hobbies. Now trying to find something to fill those gaps.
worthwhile to look at what your parents and grandparents did (nothing new under the sun... likely you will be similar in many ways). Mine were very different (some were world travelers, others NEVER left the farm). I do both (until I wear out).

I am surprised at the many grandparents on WEE and Facetime.

and encouraged by inventors / craftsmen who follow diminishing trades.

not so many 'putting-up-food' as did my grandparents and self (40 yrs ago, together).

I REALLY miss my grandparents and all they did for others. They were so engaged in community and events and helping 'shut-ins', yet ran their own farm (100 cattle + crops) into their 90's.

It was humorus to find my grandfather (in his 90's) watering his garden from his air-conditioned car (hanging onto hose out the window). He was pretty mellow and always good for a laugh. (a treasured quality)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 11:14 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

It was humorus to find my grandfather (in his 90's) watering his garden from his air-conditioned car (hanging onto hose out the window). He was pretty mellow and always good for a laugh. (a treasured quality)

I just fell in love with your Grandfather. I mean that is brilliant, and eccentric, and lots of other good things.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I clean and cook. Is cooking a hobby too? I spend a lot of time researching recipes, especially since my husband is on a restricted diet. Food can still taste good
My younger daughter and I share a common interest. We will go off once a month minus husband and kids to do our own thing

Old 06-01-2018, 02:00 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
I sit in a rocking chair on the front porch, like in The Good Old Days.
I yell at anyone who walks on our grass.
I argue with the people on the television.
I contemplate the meaning of is.
I complain about how the dadblamed whippersnappers ain't like the folks from The Good Olde Days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Spend time on CD wondering what others do with their time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
I have no extra time.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:24 PM

178 posts, read 282,029 times
They sit on there rocking chair on there porch all day

Old 06-01-2018, 05:01 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I feel sorry for your friends with no hobbies. I can't believe such people exist. Hobbies, being alert, being interested in something, being motivated keep us young. These people, sorry to say, but I think will decline much faster than the rest of us. Health wise and mentally.
I think saying, ‘I can’t believe such people exist’ is a little extreme. It’s not like we are talking about vampires!

Old 06-01-2018, 05:03 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Where in NM....on the radar if I outlive my husband.
Rio Rancho is just outside of Albuquerque (3rd largest city...that's not saying much)

Old 06-01-2018, 05:05 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
On any given day there are about a million retirees sitting in waiting rooms for doctors, dentists, social security, Jiffy Lube, etc.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:17 PM

532 posts, read 446,138 times
I am approaching retirement and have asked my neighbor for his take on boredom during retirement.

His polite answer: You are gonna wonder how you ever had time to go to work.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:09 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
I am approaching retirement and have asked my neighbor for his take on boredom during retirement.

His polite answer: You are gonna wonder how you ever had time to go to work.
Hah, that’s my husbands take on retirement .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement