Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:09 AM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times

Advertisements

I believe some people with no hobbies actually have the hobby of home and yard maintenance and cleaning.
Everyone has things that have to be done all the time like cleaning but those with no hobbies must have some time with nothing to do. What do you do?
I know some watch sports and that takes time, I hate to think very many people just vegetable out in front of the TV.
I go to different church events during the week.
I retired at 62 and a lifetime hot rodder I finally had time to work on cars but about the late 60's that became to much work and too hard and too tiring.
Also a lifetime Model Railroader and that really takes time.
Also I am now into slot cars too and am building a track.
These two more than take any extra time I may have, I neglect cleaning the house over them.
Some play golf or other sports. Go to the gym.
I have a friend who reads a lot.
A lot of people never had hobbies all their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 09:59 AM

496 posts, read 552,743 times
Spreading gossip.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:01 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Reading a ton of books.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:19 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Spend time on CD wondering what others do with their time.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:29 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I believe some people with no hobbies actually have the hobby of home and yard maintenance and cleaning.
Everyone has things that have to be done all the time like cleaning but those with no hobbies must have some time with nothing to do. What do you do?
I know some watch sports and that takes time, I hate to think very many people just vegetable out in front of the TV.
I go to different church events during the week.
I retired at 62 and a lifetime hot rodder I finally had time to work on cars but about the late 60's that became to much work and too hard and too tiring.
Also a lifetime Model Railroader and that really takes time.
Also I am now into slot cars too and am building a track.
These two more than take any extra time I may have, I neglect cleaning the house over them.
Some play golf or other sports. Go to the gym.
I have a friend who reads a lot.
A lot of people never had hobbies all their life.
I've never understood why it bothers so many people that others may get their relaxation and enjoyment from watching movies, sitcoms, dramas, and other entertainment shows on tv. It wouldn't be my cup of tea to spend my days that way, but I certainly don't react negatively to others who do. And I definitely wouldn't pejoratively refer to it as vegetating.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:31 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Birdwatching, singing groups, book clubs, walks in parks, & watching tv, going to music recital at local colleges.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:59 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I think it’s hard when the person was a people person and has no one to do their hobby with. We just had someone move in to our assisted living who used to sit at a corner table at Mcdonalds all day just to be around people and to have something to do. He is a very social person but couldn’t drive anymore and outlived many of his friends. For a very social person, retirement can be isolating and lonely. He is very excited to be here!

Old 05-29-2018, 11:08 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I've never understood why it bothers so many people that others may get their relaxation and enjoyment from watching movies, sitcoms, dramas, and other entertainment shows on tv. It wouldn't be my cup of tea to spend my days that way, but I certainly don't react negatively to others who do. And I definitely wouldn't pejoratively refer to it as vegetating.

thank you

I was a voracious reader. I can no longer read, but watching tv has evolved into something that I enjoy very much. My tv reception comes through the wifi (roku) and if I show an interest in a subject, it finds related programs. I have just finished watching a series of documentaries and movies about Henry VIII and another about trade routes opening up the American West. I think it keeps me sharp. I like being interested in something.

I don't think I ever had hobbies. I worked and had a family, and when the family left home, I worked more.

But then I never thought of reading as a hobby. And since I was usually sitting when I was reading, how is that better than watching tv?

I can sit in the yard doing nothing all morning. I really like being retired, especially the doing nothing part.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:23 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,510,104 times
My parents definitely spend more energy on yard work and taking care of their pets. They had hobbies but sometimes health gets in the way of being able to do them. I think my mom would like to be more active and doing more things outside the house but my dad is a homebody and doesn't like for her to leave him for very long or very often.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:29 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Some of these folks who are so critical are the same ones who take such pleasure in going to the theater, opera, ballet, concerts, or sporting events....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement