Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 07:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSwissArmyGirl View Post
Winterhater, Rainhater here. ...and I've been trying to map out the same thing as you. It's very difficult. ... I've been looking all over and I get the same feeling as you about the desert locations. There's no tall grass to hide the trash. But the weather is so great; just like the snowbirds say.

I've looked at Las Cruces NM, Bisbee AZ, Escalante UT but there is another factor; taxes. These are not tax friendly states. AZ for example has an 8% sales tax! Ouch!

Our climate is changing so are you also considering that?

I'm from deep dark dank southwestern WA. WA is income tax free. So last month I drove east over the Cascades to the sunny dry side to check out places over there. ...retirement location thing is going to be tougher than I thought.

SWWA (rainhater) here too, so... I exodus often (20 min from PDX helps enable my habit).

I keep CHEAP places in Hill Country TX (income tax free) for the seasons I dislike SWWA. My main homes in each location are rented and I stay in separate residence (cabin) on the same property in these rural locations. Thus... free places for my retirement in the climate that happens to be best at the moment (I fly back and forth and all around) In Colorado and CA frequently, as well as internationally (Healthcare needs pre age 65)

My mom had to leave Colo due to altitude and COPD. After trying AZ, UT (3 locations each) and 2 in NV, she ended up in LC NM and has liked it (too brown and dusty for me).

other options... SE AZ (Cochise Mtn) Reno / Carson City NV,

and... FT nomad (with a SD domicile (one night per lifetime is all it takes to establish residency for this income tax free state)) Register your cars / RV in your MT LLC (no sales tax, no emissions / no inspections / lifetime plates available. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 05:42 PM

54 posts, read 69,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The tough part is trying to do the location thing in one single location.
Let alone to also juggle the soft issues like visiting grands and such.

It's about impossible to really satisfy the climate and weather preferences MOST of us have
if we don't have the sort of Cash On Hand and Income that coastal California requires.

For as long as we're able to travel... plan to do so.
A biannual migration just as the birds do it.
It will generally cost less and offer more choice to travel NORTH in summer.
MrRational you are so RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT.
THANK YOU for explaining so much in one post.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:23 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I'm wondering how the people spending their first summer in the Arizona desert are doing so far.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:19 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Pretty good. But I 'm in Cochise County which has some of the best weather. In fact, when I went out just awhile ago, I was thinking how, if this were Minnesota I would be really uncomfortable but it really is a dry heat. And where I am there is usually a breeze.

In Minnesota I would not even go out when it was really hot as your clothes would be soaked through within minutes. Just as in winter I went from a heated car to a heated building, in the heat I went from air conditioning to air conditioning.

I still use mostly fans here. At times I turn on the air, but not often. A person learns to do things in the morning before the heat comes. It's really pleasant in the morning and evenings.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Pretty good. But I 'm in Cochise County which has some of the best weather. In fact, when I went out just awhile ago, I was thinking how, if this were Minnesota I would be really uncomfortable but it really is a dry heat. And where I am there is usually a breeze.

In Minnesota I would not even go out when it was really hot as your clothes would be soaked through within minutes. Just as in winter I went from a heated car to a heated building, in the heat I went from air conditioning to air conditioning.

I still use mostly fans here. At times I turn on the air, but not often. A person learns to do things in the morning before the heat comes. It's really pleasant in the morning and evenings.
That's great to hear! Thank you for sharing.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:31 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times
Quote:

That area has to me about the best climate in the USA after some areas of California. Pretty much every day of the year, you can find a time period when it's very pleasant....afternoons in winter and evenings in summer for example.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
That area has to me about the best climate in the USA after some areas of California. Pretty much every day of the year, you can find a time period when it's very pleasant....afternoons in winter and evenings in summer for example.
I was checking out Sierra Vista and the climate there doesn't seem to be extreme at all compared to Phoenix. It seems like a great town too.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:34 AM

357 posts, read 225,175 times
Quote:

We just drove through your county yesterday and I was wondering how you were doing, too.
I’m glad it’s working out for you.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:01 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I was checking out Sierra Vista and the climate there doesn't seem to be extreme at all compared to Phoenix. It seems like a great town too.
It really is pleasant here. I get the paper & there seems to be something going on a lot of the time. I haven't explored as much as I should & do plan on doing that as time goes on. Part of that is because I have to use my walker if it's anything involving a lot of walking but a lot is just procrastinating.

I like Sierra Vista. Right now I am a few miles out but will probably end up moving to the town proper eventually. I'm comfortable where I'm at but I like knowing they have bus service in case I need it at some point. Also, there seems to be a lot at the University, classes & such that intrigue me.

These are things I have to look into. I'll probably stay at my complex for at least another year. That gives me time to really research because, if I move, I only want to do it once. There is a complex run by the same people called the towers & I am seriously considering moving there but there's a waiting list.

I also want to be on the side facing the area where I can see the fireworks when they happen & a couple floors up for the view. There's an elevator so it would be possible. Not asking for much, lol.

But I also have to consider that currently I'm in a handicap apartment & it really makes life a lot easier. I also like my apartment & the view of the mountains is spectacular, especially for sunsets. I may just end up staying here just because of these two things. My current apartment is really convenient for me.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:07 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yeah the elevation really moderates the climate. Wife and I plan to take a trip to Arizona before or after I retire and SV is definitely on the list.

On timing, I had planned on retiring when I finish the current project I'm working on here in Kuwait this week but I've been offered another short term project 6-8 months afterward, I plan to retire.

I have been reading Meo's updates over the year especially on how the summer has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement