Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 07:08 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Guess that depends on one's perspective. If one is of a "glass half full" mentality, ( as I am), one might consider making the best as one can of those remaining years, not wasting them being miserable.
What a strange admonition, lecture, and interpretation. And I wasn't saying that it describes me, not at all. My thought was to list a possible reason for some grouchiness, along with bodily pain and health problems perhaps for some.

I certainly wasn't advocating grouchiness as a way to live. Nor are grouchy people usually grouchy all the time nor even a majority of the time. And being grouchy at times doesn't preclude one still having a lovely life of great days and I didn't say anything about choosing to be miserable all the time or the majority of time in one's latter years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 07:09 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Mostly we're tired of being around so much stupid and what you see is our response to it. Like this thread.
I'm not quite to retirement age yet, but I too am so sick of having to deal with stupid all day. As I've gotten closer and closer to retirement, one thing I've noticed in myself is while I actually am more tolerant of dumbness than when I was younger, I am also more apt to speak up about it.

I'm especially more tolerant of what could be called youthful inexperience. Everyone has to learn. But I'm much less tolerant and more likely to speak up about those who continue to repeat the same things; those who refuse to learn.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:18 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm not quite to retirement age yet, but I too am so sick of having to deal with stupid all day. As I've gotten closer and closer to retirement, one thing I've noticed in myself is while I actually am more tolerant of dumbness than when I was younger, I am also more apt to speak up about it.

I'm especially more tolerant of what could be called youthful inexperience. Everyone has to learn. But I'm much less tolerant and more likely to speak up about those who continue to repeat the same things; those who refuse to learn.

Yeah. When I rip an adult a new one, which I did last night publically, people wonder how I was a teacher. Same thing as you, kids are supposed to be dumb. Not so adults who are in positions of responsibility or aspiring to be.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:41 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
I've heard as you age you become more forgiving, patient, and at peace with yourself.

That contradicts the behavior I see and witness in retirees. Most of them seem to be cranky, crotchety, negative, complain a lot, and just don't seem happy. Does all the bitterness creep up to you as you age and how do you combat it and refuse to submit to it and be happy?
Because we realize how much life simply sucks, and how much control a person has in their lives: goose egg.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:42 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

I was also, but then I told myself - follow your own advice.

I used to tell the troops, if you have a problem tell me but also tell me what you might do to fix it. You have more experience with your problem.

Anyway, used to irritate me to see how ill informed or just couldn't care less people were about things in our community - especially people with kids in school. They would miss something and then get all up in arms about it.

I decided to start a community page. No bashing, no name calling. Mostly positive. Lots of info. For some reason, I hear of something or read something and it sticks in my brain, so its not hard for me to post things.

Its been very helpful and brings me lots of satisfaction to know I am helping.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:29 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Sooooo many experts on this forum.

Let’s see.

If I veg on the couch and eat chips I will die sooner. Sooner than what? How about if I veg on a chair and eat popcorn?

I must volunteer but I also must have hobbies. I must socialize but I should work part time. Oh and I had better travel. Make sure I spend every waking hour fleeing from the Grim Reaper. Don’t stop.

I personally don’t want to be busier in retirement than before I retired. Do I have to ask someone’s permission?

Forget the grey hair and wrinkles, I must never complain about anything. That’s a dead giveaway I’m old.

I can absolutely, positively never be happy living on my meager income so HOW DARE I say I am.

I neeed to be around kids to feel young even though I never really liked being around them for any reason.

I must volunteer to stay alive. Been there done that when I was young. Tried it when I retried. Wasn’t the best choice for me.

No wonder the OP finds people in retirement grouchy. We are faced with being told how to live our lives even more intensely than before we retired.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:29 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times

Old 06-08-2018, 10:37 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Wealth is concentrated in the hands of seniors and retirees. Not all seniors and retirees are wealthy, of course, but if you randomly pick a person in each age band (20-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-60, 61-70, 71-80, 81-90), wealth goes up until that last bracket.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:41 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Brain shrinkage and one foot in the grave tends to do that to people...........ask me, I know, dag-nabbit!

Old 06-08-2018, 10:43 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
I know quite a few young people who are negative and complain a lot about absolutely everything, but the older people I know seem to be outrageously happy, including myself, my husband, my sisters and their husbands, and my retired friends.

You, however, sound quite disgruntled.

If you think about it, some old people may have aches and pains that make them crotchety and cranky. Pain does that to people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement