Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:05 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,151 times

Advertisements

Just hit 60 and I do my best not to get cranky, impatient or...old. I’ve worked so hard to put us in a position to enjoy life that I simply refuse to allow the negatives to outweigh the positives.

Maybe it’s just mind over matter....the less it matters in my life, the less I mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 09:21 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
I've experienced this with my Dad, who is 81.

He used to be a pretty upbeat guy but now when I visit him it's cringeworthy to be at the breakfast table as he thumbs through the newspaper muttering about how terrible everything is and the US sucks now and everyone is a coward etc. Happens pretty much every morning.

I sure hope it doesn't happen to me.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 PM

24,615 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
What lies are those?
The lies that say wisdom comes with age.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:06 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I've been pondering.

I'm a retired Baby Boomer and know many like me in that cohort. As a rule I don't hear much bitching and moaning about much of anything.

In my experience the group that complains the most, about everything and nothing, was/is the WWII/Greatest Generation. Nothing at all suits them. Of course, most of them are touching 90 now.

The Silent Generation isn't far behind in the complaint department.

Both groups do nothing but complain about their free lunches at the Senior Center, yet they still go and eat there every single day. The weather, cars today, TV, clothing, it doesn't matter, everything is a ***** fest.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:53 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
My wife worked for awhile part time as a "Home Again" caretaker for a family with 92 year old gramps.

The sixty something retired homeowners who needed the help kept 2 TVs blaring Fox News all day long. They all complained continuously about how awful and rotten the whole world had become.

I can't imagine a worse way to spend the day. My TV is off most of the time and I quit cable years ago.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:25 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
My wife worked for awhile part time as a "Home Again" caretaker for a family with 92 year old gramps.

The sixty something retired homeowners who needed the help kept 2 TVs blaring Fox News all day long. They all complained continuously about how awful and rotten the whole world had become.

I can't imagine a worse way to spend the day. My TV is off most of the time and I quit cable years ago.
I don't watch the news either. If you need to know something, it will find you.

TV stays on the Hallmark channel!

Old 06-15-2018, 08:47 AM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

We have some longtime friends that have gone that route in retirement. They have a really nice life, but are constantly unhappy with how the country is. They do turn off Fox when we are visiting, but any conversation winds up with Fox talking points coming to the surface. I don't get why they want to work so hard at being unhappy.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:52 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I find it amazing that so many are finding Fox News as a common denominator. That, and finding so many retirees in their 60s sitting around watching it.

I'd call bull **** but that insults bulls.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:28 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
Please, let's keep politics off this forum. I'm sure there are grouches on both sides of the aisle.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:32 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
I guess I have not surrounded my self with cranky, negative retirees. I am not surrounded by negative people who are not retired either. I think like finds like. Look to your own attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement