Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 09:46 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine retiring to such a costly State as Connecticut. Sure, the schools are good, and it's easy to commute to good paying jobs in NYC. But you don't need that in retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 09:49 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
We have enough, and that is enough.

No regrets as we did the best we could to save and have a house. We don't beg for anything, always pay our own way and are happy to be retired and enjoying each other. We enjoy eating out of our garden just for the fun of it and have little desire to travel. We have few health problems but keep good health insurance as we know that life changes.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:15 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post

I'm very interested in frugal living and making the best possible life at the cheapest cost. So I'd like to see more threads of that type.
I guess you do not realize that City Data has a forum dedicated to Frugal Living. It is a very active subforum in the Economics section.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:49 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
I saw a lot of SS only seniors do ok in our area.

Health care: Medicare with Medicaid covers it

Food; shopping smart and hitting the food banks

Clothing: thrift stores and charities.

Transport: in home support services, bus vouchers, friends who drive, church and senior center volunteers

Housing: subsidized, federal senior apartments, sharing a house

No landline, but a low cost cell plan

Other: networking with the poor community.

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-09-2018 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-09-2018, 11:07 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You have more money than they do and you're living good. Why are you mad at them?
mad at them ? are you dreaming up things i never said ?

Old 06-09-2018, 11:11 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem is what is considered poverty level of income in many area's get welfare or senior perks worth tens of thousands of dollars too so it can be comparable to much higher incomes . there is everything from medicaid health insurance to section 8 housing to utility perks , snap and freedom from rent increases that some qualify for . while incomes may be poverty level they are not actually living on that level .

yeah i know , not everyone gets stuff but the fact is it is out there in many areas . i know quite a few who live on just ss but they really ain't . they get assistance towards lots of things .
Quote:
You have more money than they do and you're living good. Why are you mad at them?
He's not mad, he's just pointing out the truth.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:15 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Gosh some people read too much into people’s posts

Old 06-09-2018, 11:19 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I can't imagine retiring to such a costly State as Connecticut. Sure, the schools are good, and it's easy to commute to good paying jobs in NYC. But you don't need that in retirement.
no , you don't want to retire to connecticut but people with family and roots certainly do . none of us NEED TO LIVE WHERE WE DO .

we can live in tents in a warm climate . but we all live where we do because that is where we want to live ,including you and those retirees in connecticut .

we want to retire in nyc because not only does it give of us a life time of things to do but this is where our kids and grand kids are . we want to be a part of their daily lives , not a phone call and vacation stop over . so your comment about needing to retire in ct applies to every where. no one needs to live where they do , they want to live where they do , because there is always cheaper somewhere else and the same thing can be said for just about anywhere .

Old 06-09-2018, 11:37 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
We have a number of friends that live nearby who do okay on SS of $750 - 800/month. One neighboring town has a per-capita income of $8,000/year for its residents.

We do pretty well with my pension of $1600/month.

But this is the oldest state, we have the highest percentage of retirees of all the states.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:44 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
When I retired we were living in Italy, and our visa expired. So we had to get back stateside. We moved back to Connecticut, as we already owned an apartment complex there. While living in Ct, we re-licensed as foster-parents and we were fostering three children in addition to our two sons. No real complaints about the public schools there. We stayed in Connecticut a couple years, but it was fairly obvious that on my pension we were eventually going to have problems living in Connecticut, so long as we still had so many children living at home. After 5 years we decided to leave Connecticut for somewhere with more retirees and a lower COL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement