Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

Like I posted earlier lots of teacher vacancies in Tennessee and certification programs. There is a way if there is a will.
You're not saying that just anyone and everyone can or should be a teacher, are you? No matter what their abilities are, talents or lack of talent, intellectual ability or lack of it, interest in teaching or not, like dealing with kids or not, have good skills or not, have the aptitude for teaching or not........you're not saying that just any college graduate should be a teacher and take teaching positions, are you?

Last edited by matisse12; 06-14-2018 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 09:00 PM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
When discussing financials, its such a moving target, especially when you start comparing your own circumstances to what other posters say they have or the amount they say you need to retire. On CD--many people appear to be wealthy so you need a thick skin to talk finance and not feel insecure.

Honestly, if you had a million saved you'd still feel poor as a church mouse reading these threads. And yet look around, how many people do you know in real life that has a million or more saved ? I know maybe 1 cousin and 2 friends my age I would guess has that much. And I say guess because they give that impression--I don't know for sure. Everybody else my age appears to be living on a pension or paycheck with an OK job. There's nobody like me, living on their savings.

The point is, we cannot let other people's financial opinions rile us up. If they say they're rolling in dough--fine. If you want to say you have done well--- that is wonderful. I just have to be focused on with what I personally have to work with. Also, if you are single you should not compare your situation to those posts that start with "We".

Great discussion, there won't be any consensus, we are too diverse.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:54 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
You're not saying that just anyone and everyone can or should be a teacher, are you? No matter what their abilities are, talents or lack of talent, intellectual ability or lack of it, interest in teaching or not, like dealing with kids or not, have good skills or not, have the aptitude for teaching or not........you're not saying that just any college graduate should be a teacher and take teaching positions, are you?
I would never want to do that. Trying to jam my personality and talents into public school teaching wouldn't work. I could teach at a school for gifted children. I couldn't handle having to handhold every Tom, Dick, and Harry that had to be carried through the door.

Advising someone like me, who is clearly not cut out to be a teacher, to go do it for the public sector bennies really misses a huge point. Many types of skilled workers are not in demand in the public sector, and relatively low skilled workers, like an elementary school teacher, can make out much better than a career intellectual property creator (who is consistently reinvesting in himself) over the long-term, simply by virtue by being employed in the "best" sector.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:03 PM

185 posts, read 143,259 times
Serious Conversation,

"Teaching," "coaching," and "mentoring," are highly developed and prized skills, usually refined at very high management levels. Just saying...

Old 06-14-2018, 10:06 PM

24,627 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Honestly, if you had a million saved you'd still feel poor as a church mouse reading these threads. And yet look around, how many people do you know in real life that has a million or more saved ?
Agreed. CD has 2 million+ posters but you have to take it all the posts with a grain of salt. In one section someone will talk about how they bought an $80K car straight cash, in another thread someone will mention their 800+ credit score and and 6 figure credit limit. Then in another thread someone might mention their massive pension and early retirement.

As you stated, there is no way to verify any of it and it's best to not get riled up about it.

Obviously it's not uncommon for some message board users to be well off, but sometimes you just want to question some of the stuff folks post.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:14 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
Serious Conversation,

"Teaching," "coaching," and "mentoring," are highly developed and prized skills, usually refined at very high management levels. Just saying...
I've rarely seen a manager develop or coach anyone proactively. Any success the employee gets is basically self-made. I wouldn't count on my direct manager for more than a generic recommendation.

I have a much better relationship with managers in the department of my internal customer than I do with my direct manager.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 PM

310 posts, read 446,754 times
My Gawd, this is becoming worse than Facebook. Sheesh.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:14 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Default Lets run a poll: How many active posters are college graduates! No agenda, just curious.

No hidden agenda here......just simple curiosity.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:14 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the acceptable limits are : anything more than what i have is bragging . less than is always welcome .

you are correct though . there are other retirement forums where discussing actual numbers are the norm and it is just business as usual when the crowd comments.

the retirement forum on c-d is more diverse than the other forums mentioned . these other forums are made up of a lot of successful , well funded retirees who have a big interest in retirement finances .

many in our forum actually enjoy the how bad everyone is doing articles because they either identify or feel better about their own situation . this is a very different crowd then those who are financially successful and have an interest in the planning side .
Solid gold on this one.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:21 PM

310 posts, read 446,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
No hidden agenda here......just simple curiosity.
Insulting. I know more people who are NOT college educated, that have more common sense, Cents, and emotional IQ than college educated. Really. Let’s poll that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement