Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:45 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Are you referring to a recent post from someone asking if a certain amount of money and a certain situation (decent pension, no bills, etc.) was good enough to retire on? If so, it was obviously a good enough situation to retire on, and so someone accused them of bragging. That kind of post does seem like bragging because the only apparent reason for them to ask if it is "good enough" is to point out what a good job they did in planning their retirement.

I wasn't involved in that post, but it did appear to me that the OP was bragging. I see that kind of post around here once in a while. (BTW, I do have a decent pension and no bills, am not living on my SS check; I don't ask for advice about my good pension and lack of bills because no advice is needed, obviously.)

Some of those posts are simply chest thumping, not actually asking for advice.
I couldn’t disagree more. His question was not well thought out, as it lacked details, but clearly a 50 year old person, PROJECTING planning to retire in 10 years, with little or no SS, and PROJECTING decent, but not great dividends, asks a question and gets accused of bragging? There is no “obvious” about it in the least. Clearly too many here are narrow minded and can only project their own current circumstances as the baseleine for how all others should consider the costs and needs of retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 11:45 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I think the use of the word "hate" is inappropriate. Envy, jealousy, etc. come more to my mind. Or sometimes realizing the have-nots didn't plan very well for retirement. I have had those regrets myself and had to do a lot of self-talk to get out of that pit. Waste of time-- envy.

Why would any one of us get our trousers in a twist over any of it? We have what we have, good planning, bad planning, what does it matter. Sometimes it's luck.

Someone posted that the OP was working 80 hours a week. Maybe he/she was so busy making the money/planning for retirement he didn't realize there is a poorer sector out there. This is not a criticism of how hard he/she worked for her money. But if you are focused on what you are doing, there is no time to focus on what someone else is doing.

I think this blaming stuff is for the birds. We all have the right to post how we feel about something. If someone posts something you don't like, too bad. Get over it. Life is too short to constantly find fault with other peoples' comments.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:53 AM

151 posts, read 107,596 times
FWIW, there are those who are so afraid they're going to run out of money that there seemingly isn't ANY saved amount they would consider safe and thus able to breathe a sign of relief that they've finally crossed the finish line. I know - I'm married to one of them! So far from bragging, they might be trying to reassure (and re-reassure) themselves that they aren't going to end up living in van down by the river in their twilight years.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:57 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Now that one is almost universal. Especially if the pension came from working in the public sector.
This ^^.
I think some of the most vicious, green-eyed monster, mean-spirited posts have concerned pensions.

Who's getting them... from where... how much...why can't I have one... you suck for getting one, no matter how-what-when-where-or why.

Pension envy. Yes, it's universal no matter what forum I happened to be reading C-D or otherwise. The absolute worst of human nature seems to come out in any discussion involving pensions, and yes you're right - especially if they're from public sector employers. The thread may start out positive, but then eventually it starts with one bitter, envious, nasty post. Then we're off to the races....

Old 06-13-2018, 12:08 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Regarding pensions, haven't some of them "disappeared" over the years?

I seem to remember something like that happening. Companies run out of money. I get a pension (not a big one) and I do wonder if I'll receive notification that it will end.

I don't think anything comes with a guarantee.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:09 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
I had forgotten the poster was speculating about the future.

I think it's absurd that he is being accused of bragging.

He was probably just wanting validation that his thinking and planning are right and he's on the right course.

What ugly responses he received.

It's just sad that people can't be happy for each other.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:10 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Regarding pensions, haven't some of them "disappeared" over the years?

I seem to remember something like that happening. Companies run out of money. I get a pension (not a big one) and I do wonder if I'll receive notification that it will end.

I don't think anything comes with a guarantee.
Oh dear! I'm getting nervous... I feel a pension discussion coming on.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Reading threads around here is just like looking at houses to buy. If I don't like one I just move on to the next one and never get offended.

There's a 4 letter word in Real Estate and it's "Next". Just move on.

I find it interesting to hear peoples stories... good, bad and ugly. Many times it makes me glad it's not me. Never jealous of someones success.

Last edited by Rakin; 06-13-2018 at 12:33 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 12:22 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I couldn’t disagree more. His question was not well thought out, as it lacked details, but clearly a 50 year old person, PROJECTING planning to retire in 10 years, with little or no SS, and PROJECTING decent, but not great dividends, asks a question and gets accused of bragging? There is no “obvious” about it in the least. Clearly too many here are narrow minded and can only project their own current circumstances as the baseleine for how all others should consider the costs and needs of retirement.

I didn't think it was bragging. I just thought it lacked perspective. I looked at the numbers the OP put up in that thread and concluded it's a 90th percentile retirement. In my only post in that thread, that's what I wrote. Great! Somebody who doesn't have to carefully navigate the shoals and avoid wrecking on the rocks.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 PM

997 posts, read 710,496 times
There are obviously different retirees here and we are all commenting on the same things with different perspectives:

1. Retirees with pension, get or will get SS, and have savings
2. Retirees with no pension, but get or will get SS and have savings
3. Retirees on SS with minimal or no savings
4. Retirees with double incomes from 1-3 from being married.

There seem to be a lot of #4, and it does come across that some of those have more checks than they can spend; and can support lavish retirements and building or buying retirement homes.

Therefore it shouldn't be unusual for feelings of inadequacy, fear, worry, jealousy, envy, insecurity, superiority to surface no matter how much you have--because somebody always seems like they have more or less than you.

The best thing is not to compare yourselves with others because everyone has their own unique circumstances and needs.
In my own circumstance, I know I have enough to live on if I am careful with my investments and spend responsibly. Sometimes I do castigate myself for not saving more than I did, but what I did save is adequate for my needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement