Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 05:52 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
To me the most interesting aspect of C-D is the variety of perceptions and responses. I've learned a ton by just reading.

You know, we're all imperfect people. Some are jealous or angry or pompous. Some are funny and some are depressed or both.

I've learned to listen and I avoid attacking or engaging in flame wars. If people want to disagree with me, that's OK.

But keep those posts coming...
That's a great attitude.

So, like I said many times I am very very very late to learning about retirement planning. I had an awesome marriage but it was very 50'ish in one way (sorry that is the only way I could think to describe it). My wonderful hubby managed the investment side of things. Now don't get me wrong I knew basic principles. I grew up in a household that did not do consumer debt so I never had a lot of credit card debt. I've had some and still do use my credit cards, I've also always been excellent at setting goals and saving for specific items but he did the financial planning.

When he died a few years ago, I suddenly had to step up to the plate but one of the best things I've learned from college and this experience is that ignorance is costly, so I have absolutely no problem asking things that I don't know and I still hate it, it's boring to me and hard to follow.

That is why I know you can have a lot of money and not know a lot about financial stuff. I read that many workers max out their 401k's by simple eanie-meanie-minie- moe picking funds.

So I never automatically assume that some one is "humble" bragging. why do folks go to financial planners? because they've amassed small fortunes and want to know how to invest it.

I would never think that someone is bragging if they say they have a couple of mil and want to know if they can retire. Like Mathjack and others here I've lived in hcol areas and sorry, 6k retirement income is nothing I would call lavish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:00 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

1) if you have a good pension, you probably didn't earn it? loved that one.
2) You are an idiot if you can't make that amount work?
It's called Pension Envy. Most on this board are too old to go back and do things differently so all one can do now is kick yourself in the head and then try to demerit the poster who is more than comfortable in his retirement.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
It's called Pension Envy. Most on this board are too old to go back and do things differently so all one can do now is kick yourself in the head and then try to demerit the poster who is more than comfortable in his retirement.
What amazes me is why some people think differently at age 65 than they did at age 25? At 25 you wanted to increase your earnings, savings,investments and overall wealth. You wanted it to continue. You wanted to be able to afford more in life etc. You wanted and tried to do the things to accomplish that. Sure there were roadblocks and stuff happens along the way but bwasnt that the goal and desire?

So what is this retirement thing that makes some people think you should turn that desire off?
I make no bones about it. I am 70 and want more and have a path and plan to have more at 75 and 80. Been retired for ten years and have more than when we retired as planned and hoped for.

Is that bragging? No it is stating my reality just like frugality worshippers state theirs etc etc. To each their own allow those like me ours.

Please note this is in response to another poster and not in isolation. Dialog is allowed.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:28 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What amazes me is why some people think differently at age 65 than they did at age 25? At 25 you wanted to increase your earnings, savings,investments and overall wealth. You wanted it to continue. You wanted to be able to afford more in life etc. You wanted and tried to do the things to accomplish that. Sure there were roadblocks and stuff happens along the way but bwasnt that the goal and desire?

So what is this retirement thing that makes some people think you should turn that desire off?
I think that sometimes people need to turn that off, because their retirement wasn’t planned or voluntary and they just aren’t going to have the opportunity to grow any wealth in the future - they just have to make do with what they have already saved. And I understand that. What I don’t understand is why they’d apply that logic to a person who’s thinking about voluntarily walking away from a good job. How much that person may be leaving on the table and how much risk (especially when it comes to health care) he’s assuming by departing the workforce early is very much on-topic in that case, since the alternative of continuing to work a while longer is a real one.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:35 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
I don't think it's all about "demeriting" the public worker, but the fact that, in many of the states with the most generous benefits, that the average person is being soaked in taxes to cover for that public sector worker.

One of my school crushes is an elementary school teacher. She's been out for summer break for two or three weeks. She's posting pictures of her and her son out running around every day - doing errands, going to the water parks, etc. I'm doing well to go to the post office on lunch.

Tennessee isn't a super generous state with government benefits, but state employees get a pension. The state contributes to that. I've been at my current employer for a month short of two years, and due to timing, have not received one matching cent of contributions. She's probably out for at least another month. I can't even take a consecutive week off until after the first of the year. Technically, I receive just ten PTO days annually (plus four sick days). I have to "pay myself" for my holidays out of my PTO bucket - if I take that PTO elsewhere, I do not get paid for the holiday. I only get the six major holidays - schools and govenrment workers get many more.

Do teachers work more than 40 hours per week? Probably, but so does the rest of the salaried exempt corporate world. There's simply no comparison between what teachers, and most government employees, work compared to the exempt private sector, and I've never known local school systems to lay off or even fire without cause. We just had a significant RIF.

Do I make more than a teacher? I make about 20% more than a new teacher starting out in the city school system. Counties make notably less. I probably make about the same as a tenured city teacher with a master's and five years experience, with a fraction of the benefits or stability. \

Old 06-14-2018, 06:46 AM

Ain’t freedom of choice and decision making grand!

Old 06-14-2018, 06:50 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't think it's all about "demeriting" the public worker, but the fact that, in many of the states with the most generous benefits, that the average person is being soaked in taxes to cover for that public sector worker.

\
Did I say that?? Many public workers have envious retirements due to good planning and lifestyle choices.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:57 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

One of my school crushes is an elementary school teacher. She's been out for summer break for two or three weeks. She's posting pictures of her and her son out running around every day - doing errands, going to the water parks, etc. I'm doing well to go to the post office on lunch.

Tennessee isn't a super generous state with government benefits, but state employees get a pension. The state contributes to that. I've been at my current employer for a month short of two years, and due to timing, have not received one matching cent of contributions. She's probably out for at least another month. I can't even take a consecutive week off until after the first of the year. Technically, I receive just ten PTO days annually (plus four sick days). I have to "pay myself" for my holidays out of my PTO bucket - if I take that PTO elsewhere, I do not get paid for the holiday. I only get the six major holidays - schools and govenrment workers get many more.

Do teachers work more than 40 hours per week? Probably, but so does the rest of the salaried exempt corporate world. There's simply no comparison between what teachers, and most government employees, work compared to the exempt private sector, and I've never known local school systems to lay off or even fire without cause. We just had a significant RIF.

Do I make more than a teacher? I make about 20% more than a new teacher starting out in the city school system. Counties make notably less. I probably make about the same as a tenured city teacher with a master's and five years experience, with a fraction of the benefits or stability. \

Not sure about Tennessee- but the teachers I have known are only paid for 10 months. Some take a lesser amount each month to have 12 paychecks. They buy supplies out of their salaries for their classrooms. They work way more than 40 hrs a week (meeting with parents after school hours, sponsoring extra curricular activities,grading, etc.) Generally, they cannot take personal time off except on school breaks and holidays.

On top of all this teachers have to be concerned with the possibility of a kid coming in with an AR-15 and killing their students.

They are not well compensated-in my opinion for their responsibility. They cannot even slip out to use the restroom easily. Are you allowed to ask for time off in October?? Can you run to the restroom when need be? Do you stand on your feet most of the day? Your job and a teachers is not comparable. Do you have a masters and Five years of professional experience- NO! You have time to make multiple posts on CD and check out your teacher friends Facebook page. She has to be attentive and hands on every second at work.

I have no sympathy for you- not being able to take time off - your work is no where as stressful as hers. Get a better job with a more lenient leave policy or quit complaining.

Last edited by funisart; 06-14-2018 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Did I say that?? Many public workers have envious retirements due to good planning and lifestyle choices.
Bada Bing! Often people assume we are living just off of pensions plus in many cases SS. They often don’t consider or factor in investment income.
My hunch some are of the mindset that if they had a pension they wouldn’t have to save/invest and transfer that thinking to those of us with pensions.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:04 AM

Why would a younger person still with options in life spending as much time in a retirement forum as they do complain about someone else having better retirement benefits. If retirement is important wouldn’t you adapt knowing the long term outcomes available?

Last edited by TuborgP; 06-14-2018 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement