Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:19 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,327 times

Advertisements

Yeah -- I have had great teeth FOREVER.... And my dentist now (I retire in October) says that most dentists work to KEEP teeth rather than go to dentures. A change from the past.

HOWEVER, I have had 4 root canals in the last 3 years. You never know what can happen. And at $1200 a pop - that's expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 04:30 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
My dentist has said he sees a clear improvement to my gums just from my own cleaning regime, two cleanings a year plus flouride treatment, and even more important an exercise plan which helps blood flow throuthout the body. No plan except for a discounted yearly program from my favorite dentist.
I never thought to continue asking for fluoride treatments as an adult! You just changed a life.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
WaterPiks are fantastic for maintaining good teeth, healthy gums, and healthy mouth.

Not the hand-held WaterPik, but the one that sits on the bathroom counter.

The strong force of the water stream forces particles of food and debris from between teeth, on the gums, and in the mouth.

Adding mouthwash to the Water Pik in the water is great too. Feels clean along with brushing.

I've used a WaterPik for 30 years or more, with success. Along with an electric toothbrush which really cleans well.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,706 times
I've heard more than one person say the Mexico route...

Old 06-18-2018, 09:14 PM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Both my parents had all their teeth pulled just before they retired to avoid ongoing dental expenses.

Wow, but even fake teeth require dental expenses if they break.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Yeah -- I have had great teeth FOREVER.... And my dentist now (I retire in October) says that most dentists work to KEEP teeth rather than go to dentures. A change from the past.
I'm not a fan of keeping teeth rather than pulling them. Sometimes it's really time for them to go.

I have a molar that had a root canal, but I never had the money to finish up getting a crown put on it. Twenty years later, I go to a dentist that says, "Well, there's not much tooth left to put a crown on, but we can surgically reduce the gum a little and blah blah blah and it will only cost $7000." Dream on, Charley.

So last year I went to a dentist who was hired by the county to do low income dental work through Medicaid (which I no longer have). I wanted the tooth pulled. It had been filled a couple of times and when the filling wore down, it hurt. But this dentist was no, no, no, must save the tooth.

She built it up and filled it again and only then told me I'd have to get a crown over this special filling, which I should have known. Well, if I couldn't afford one then, I certainly couldn't afford one now. So here I sit with a painful tooth that has a filling that's wearing down and I'm unable to afford a dentist again.

And this was the worst dentist I'd even been to barring the one from my childhood and even if she personally offered the crown free of charge, I wouldn't go back to her.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,058,661 times
Se habla español? Lol

Old 06-19-2018, 12:27 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,157,864 times
Even if one had a dental plan, it won't cover much at all beyond regular cleanings, some x-rays, fillings, and that's it. Most people need a lot of work on average especially when you get older. I heard of dental tourism, and it sounds like a good idea for the prices, but I personally don't know anyone that has done something like that. I have seen the price breakdowns between US and other countries, it is shocking just comparing a simple filling here and there, something to consider in the future. If it was safe in other countries for dental work and it was cheap, I don't see any reason why not.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:03 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,149 times
Nope! No dental plan. And anyway, none would pay for the sort of work I have or need. For the folks wondering why you need to save for retirement - it ALL goes for dental. Implants: $5,000 each. And as you attempt to save teeth before you finally give into the implant, add a few grande. And how many teeth do we have? Maybe 30 or so, at $5,000 each - Gads! You can buy a house for that!

Old 06-19-2018, 05:36 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Don't you just love how the three things that are almost guaranteed to need care in our senior years - teeth, vision, and hearing - are NOT covered by medicare?

This - Medicare & Tricare will pay for my eye exam but not for glasses or contacts. Have to pay the dentist myself and fortunately I don't have a need for a hearing aid yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement