Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:33 AM

536 posts, read 961,311 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your replies. I enjoyed reading what you wrote. Good advice. We are trying to get some scouting trips planned. Just getting the time and money to go. Some places we can scout as drive throughs, and then destinations we can stay at. I guess anxiety is a thing, but I think I can manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 09:12 AM

11,115 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I was so excited that I could hardly wait once the date was set. I was "anxious" in the impatient sense of the word, but not the anxiety sense of the word. I think it's totally normal to have some anxiety about any change in life, especially if it involves relocation to an unknown area.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:52 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Yours is similar to my situation. My wife's criteria was simple: I want to live closer to family.

Well, since she's from Brazil and I'm from central AL, that kind of narrowed it down. As much as I love the south, there are very few places I really want to live. I mean, I've already lived in AR, VA, SC, NC and GA and really have no interest to live in any of those states - nothing personal folks! After much soul-searching, I narrowed it down to a couple of locations in AL and AR. I visited AR on the way to bicycle across Iowa two years ago and ruled that particular location out.

The winner, at least for me, ended up being Auburn AL. I did my undergrad work there and it's logical to think I'm trying to re-live my college days. College was a horrible experience so that wasn't it. We visited friends there last Thanksgiving on the way to my aunt's.

When my wife stepped out of our rental car when we arrived at my friend's house, which sits on 200+ acres, took a deep breath of clean, cool air and listened to the wind filtering through the pine trees, the deal was sealed. "I can see myself quilting overlooking something like this."

Turns out my wife really likes my buddy and his wife and they expressed an interest in being neighbors and traveling together at some point.

The next day, my buddy and his wife took us on a tour of Auburn & Opelika and my wife, who grew up in a city of 25 million, realized that we can purchase pretty much whatever we need locally. Small town feel, lots of activities at the university (sports, theater, etc), decent healthcare (I even worked at the local hospital's lab while in college), good selection of healthcare facilities, churches, shopping, etc and not too far from our (my) relatives. If we have a desire to go to a big city, Birmingham and ATL aren't too far away.

Best of all, we've got a line on a new development which will feature 4 acre lots in a gated community (gated wasn't in my criteria - it is what it is!). They're going through the engineering/drawing/approval phase now and I'm hoping they'll be on the market within a few months. Interestingly enough, we're at the lot of the list to select a lot.

Once that's done, we'll build once my wife retires. That's still 5-6 years out. I can retire anytime I want so for now, I work because I like my job and every paycheck will make our retirement just a tiny bit more secure. I could speed up the process once my MIL passes away. We support her 100% financially and my wife isn't comfortable retiring until her mother passes. (Yeah - what if she lives to 100? 13 more years of work you big dummy. Nooooooooo!!!!!!)

Life is pretty darn good for us at the moment! Good luck in your search!
RAGBRI! I never went, but my nephew and a client go every year. If you happened to see a small bus with a person selling margaritas out of a big cooler that was the client. 100% of the proceeds go to charity.

We found a great place in TN, but it was too rural. Even bought a lot on water. 40 miles to Knoxville (Fairfield Glade), became a concern as my health declined. Looked at Sun City Hilton Head, but the same problem, only Savannah. The humidity was rough on breathing as well. Both areas are beautiful.

Ended up in Las Vegas. Breathing is easier here.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:31 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I feel ya. Frankly, I get irritated with everyone telling me how "amazing" it'll be and "what a great time" I'll have. I've never seen life as quite that dichotomous: first you're absolutely miserable working for 30 years, then it's Disneyland every day for the rest of your life. I've always managed to enjoy life DESPITE working - in fact, I rather enjoy working - and I don't expect to be constantly blissed out when I'm retired. I think people oversell it, maybe trying to convince themselves that they're happy.

And, yes, I have some anxious moments contemplating it. Congratulations; you're normal (and honest).
I like this mentality. I am close to it actually. All I know is that I will continue working when I retire, just do something different, but equally enjoyable. I'll spend 6 months in Europe, 6 here. I see no reason to move south. I hate humidity.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:44 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I feel ya. Frankly, I get irritated with everyone telling me how "amazing" it'll be and "what a great time" I'll have. I've never seen life as quite that dichotomous: first you're absolutely miserable working for 30 years, then it's Disneyland every day for the rest of your life. I've always managed to enjoy life DESPITE working - in fact, I rather enjoy working - and I don't expect to be constantly blissed out when I'm retired. I think people oversell it, maybe trying to convince themselves that they're happy.

And, yes, I have some anxious moments contemplating it. Congratulations; you're normal (and honest).
It absolutely WON'T be Disneyland every day after retirement. Today is Saturday; I have to stay shuttered in because it's too crowded out there...

Old 06-23-2018, 08:40 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Hello all,

I have posted before. Today I am asking, did you get anxious when you were getting close to retirement? I have asked before how you scout out areas. That is still heavy on my mind. It is important to me to move to an area with good healthcare, and very friendly people. I also want to get my southern vibe on. I am southern at heart. Both of my parents were born and raised in NC. We moved around a lot. I was deposited in Alaska, and stayed after my dad retired from the air force. I ended up living there for 21 years. Then I moved to Kentucky and have been here 21 years! I always thought I should have gone farther south. Have no plans to stay in the area I am in, and never intended to stay this long. Anyway, So how important is it, to be in a friendly welcoming place? For me very important. I am conservative, and attend church, so would like to find an area of like minded people. Having said that, I get along with people from all walks of life and diversity, and tend to make friends easily. I am a very social person. But like my quiet time too. Parks for exercise are important as I plan to stay active and outdoorsy. I love love love hot weather. And up here where I live it gets hot in the summer, and my friends complain about it, while I am outside in it as much as I can be! They all tell me I would enjoy farther south. ha! I adore Crepe Myrtle trees, Live Oaks, Palm trees, Magnolias, and all that is southern growing. Is anyone else planning a southern retirement? Suggestions? Advice? MS, AL, TN, SC, TX, LA? I'm sick of looking at "best places to live"...bla bla….Need real advice from people who live there and know.

I should state that my husband can retire in less than two years and we can finally move. I will probably work part time for a little while longer since I am younger then him. Need health insurance since I won't have any and won't be 65 yet....but alas, that is another post for another time. ha!

Cheers!
Several threads/posts on this topic:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/43088014-post32.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/48928191-post250.html

Old 06-24-2018, 03:12 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
RAGBRI! I never went, but my nephew and a client go every year. If you happened to see a small bus with a person selling margaritas out of a big cooler that was the client. 100% of the proceeds go to charity.

We found a great place in TN, but it was too rural. Even bought a lot on water. 40 miles to Knoxville (Fairfield Glade), became a concern as my health declined. Looked at Sun City Hilton Head, but the same problem, only Savannah. The humidity was rough on breathing as well. Both areas are beautiful.

Ended up in Las Vegas. Breathing is easier here.
I’ll go again...perhaps a few more times....and will keep an eye out for them. Typically, I on and off the road early to avoid the heat of the day and tend to miss all the drinking and such. Lol. I still love it!

Enjoy LV!

Old 06-25-2018, 07:21 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
There are MANY threads on the topic of where to retire; I thought this thread was about feeling anxious about retiring!

Old 06-25-2018, 06:46 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
I managed my anxiety about retiring by making a one-year plan and listing and prioritizing all the things I can choose to do in retirement, as well as the things I need to do. There's enough on the list to last me for the next century or so.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:16 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Hello all,

I have posted before. Today I am asking, did you get anxious when you were getting close to retirement? I have asked before how you scout out areas.
I'm retiring in 6 weeks. I HAVE to be out of my apartment by October 1. My Plan A--St. Pete Beach/Gulf Coast area--has so far been a bust. Currently considering plan B (moving to my home town in Western NY)

I'm shaking in my shoes Good thing it's just me moving....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement