Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 10:22 AM

15,942 posts, read 7,005,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
without lifestyle and location in the mix all these articles about how much is enough are just meaningless as any kind of statement . we don't hear all this bull when we all were working and earning different incomes in different areas and different lifestyles .

just more nonsense that sounds great but means ,little . .
We are retired in an HCOL area in the NE. Seems pretty accurate to me. Maybe even less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 10:26 AM

15,942 posts, read 7,005,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Everyone always want more. There is a point of diminishing returns at some point. If you're netting $20,000/month, does an extra $1,000/month move your needle much? Not really.
If you are young, married with young kids, yes. In retirement, with medical expenses taken care of, no.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:29 AM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I really like and appreciate Clark Howard and the advice he gives to consumers. So, when I saw a hyperlink in the article to his "research", thinking is was Clark's research, I clicked it and it took me to an external web site. The whole page is set up to sell his, (Wes Moss), book. Uugh! "Bait and switch", I first thought. My mistake for assuming the author was Clark and not somebody else.
Yes I noticed the author immediately, even before reading the article. That was a clue.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:31 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Kind of a silly article. While it makes perfect sense that there is a "sweet spot" for spending/happiness, that level is totally different among different people and situations. Articles like this are just written to get a hit on a website.
I think you are right.
It boils down to doing whatever floats your boat. I happily live on less than the monthly spending amount mentioned in the article in the place where I always wanted to live. I have a small mortgage at a very low rate. I still salt way a little into savings and don't touch the nest egg except for extraordinary home maintenance costs. There's only so many hours in a day and weeks to a year. I have a hard time scheduling trips and vacations and having more money won't add days to my year or hours to my day. If I had an extra $1,000 a month I might hire a weekly housekeeper and somebody to manage my yard and my goldfish pond. Then what?

Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's been my experience that money can by allegiance for a time. At some point, quality of life, like PTO and a good corporate culture, account for more than more marginal dollars.
The head of my department was reviewing a recent project of mine and a propo of nothing took the time to tell me how much he appreciated the work that I do. I respect the hell out of the man and we have always gotten along well, and let me tell you it was a huge boost to my day. I'd rather have a raise of course, lol, but it seriously made me happy.

I have good bosses and wonderful coworkers. That matters a lot. But what perhaps matters more is the decent pay and the fact that I can work from home. Those are ALL part of the equation.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:09 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
A lot depends on where you live and just what the opportunities to spend money there are. Being married makes a difference and as we have aged our clothing per item costs gone up. Even having two places will of course increase costs and depending on the couple double some costs. Our average costs per meal home/out has and continues to increase.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
The sweet spot for a Happy Place is $4000-$5000 a month? Who knew?

Oh Howard Clark, why did you have to tell me this? Here I was going along minding my own business thinking I was happy. I guess ignorance really is bliss.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:28 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
We are retired in an HCOL area in the NE. Seems pretty accurate to me. Maybe even less.
the only thing that counts is each one of us and what we need ...... if it don't work it don't work regardless of what an article says .

money usually never buys happiness , it buys choices .

Old 06-22-2018, 12:30 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the only thing that counts is each one of us and what we need ...... if it don't work it don't work regardless of what an article says .

money usually never buys happiness , it buys choices .
Yeah our breakfast out preference ain’t IHOP.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:44 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,706 times
Always viewed it as fixed vs variable/discretionary expenses. If almost all of your money is already spoken-for each month, no matter how much you make, that is a tough way to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement