U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:36 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,086,828 times

Advertisements

I'm sure that it is a common fear of those nearing retirement - what will I do with the next 20+ years? I think you will find that those fears will quickly dissipate as you sip your morning coffee and watch all of the SUVs backing out of your neighboring driveways.

My DH took early retirement last summer because he just could not bear another day of high-stress cooperate life. It was a spur of the moment decision as he was flying into PA for another week of putting out someone's fire.

He was working on a company turn-around for a corporate sale. When asked by the company CEO what he felt would be the fastest, easiest way to cut more costs, DH replied, "Fire me. That will save you about $******* a year." Done deal within the day!

I don't advise this route for everyone. Be sure that you are financially stable in order to take an early retirement and that you are truly prepared for a life of leisure. Some folks will find that outside of work they simply have few interests. Time to find some without delay!

We do not regret DH's decision, although, it would have been nice if he clued me in first. We found out 2 months later that he had cancer, has since had surgery, has a hopeful outlook, and we plan on making the very best of our retirement years.

We, too, will forego some of the BIG plans that we were making for the future because the future arrived prematurely, but there is nothing that we could obtain that would be worth more than his good health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,993,294 times
my husbands doctor is putting him through all kinds of medical test before he pulls the plug, so far all have come out great, not sure if it would change his mind or not if something came back bad but so far all is good.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:41 AM

152 posts, read 573,754 times
It is very true that taking retirement is a big change; probably one of the biggest in one's life. If you have a good paying job is even worse. I am planing to retire in less than a year but I'm preparing for it. I will probably get involved in some volunteer work, so I am practicing by taking some even for just a few hours a week. I am also "forcing" myself to behave like I am retired on weekends thus "phasing in" this big step.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:08 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,993,294 times
Heck we are so busy preparing to move to another state that we haven't got time to act retired I guess we will jump in feet first and see how we float.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:16 PM

450 posts, read 1,838,692 times
Thumbs up Thanks for all the wonderful advice!

I have actually stayed away from this thread until I mulled things over some more. I am so thankful to the many people who gave me advice and encouragement. I am travelling to Louisiana and Oklahoma this Summer and that will probably make my decision for me. I will keep you all informed. You all have been a great encouragement to me. I will be in touch, soon.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,520,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I was not going to post this, but maybe someone can give me a bit of feedback--someone who has been in my mocassins or shoes. I am working at a job that is giving me less and less satisfaction--but it is not all that bad. This year I have been telling myself that starting in August 2008, I could tell myself that this is the last time I will ever do certain tasks. You see, I teach at a college and my contract runs out in July of 2009. I have to decide if I want to renew in January 2009 for another year.

I have done my math and even with the stock market down, I could afford to retire at age 59 in July 2009. I am a single man with no children. I am planning on moving to a lake in either Oklahoma or Louisiana--I have been scouting out these areas for the past 3-4 years.

If I did stick around for another year or even 2-3, I could certainly enhance my retirement lifestyle. On the other hand, I can live pretty cheaply in the areas I have scouted out--although there are really no teaching possiblilities and a job as a Walmart greeter is probably the best I might get. On the other hand, I do not want to be pressured into working. I know I could fill my hours with my own interests and I am willing to do volunteer work for chuch or Chamber of Commerce, et. al.

I am in reasonably good health with no major health conditions. So I could get private health insurance--higher deductible--until Medicare kicked in. I don't really need Social Security to get by until 62, when it will come in handy--I can take stuff out of my 401K at 59 1/2.

Most of my money is in the stock market and in pretty secure big cap stocks
--but I have taken a real hit of late. I had hoped to segway into some bonds before I retired, but I would only take a loss if I did that now.

Well, enough explaining! Here is my question--is it worth enduring a few more years of grief at my job just to feel more financially secure? I don't need any of this "follow your dream stuff"--just let me know if you did it--retired early and lived frugally in an area you really enjoyed and puttered about with your avocations or hobbies--and have no regrets. Or do you wish you had hung in there a bit longer?

Thanks and God Bless for reading this. Hope to hear from someone.
follow your dream, if you do not, your health will suffer. if you have your heart set on a place then go and rent this is the time-people will welcome you with open arms. Single-helps. life is a chance- if you want a change,
do not enjoy your work-why not. You always can take time off, and follow
your heart into another part-time job etc., which you do-because you enjoy it. Being financially secure, I do not think is real-follow your heart, live your dream-Sound of Music? I got out at age 50, follow the dream, not really-just did a change. moved-and all is well.
You can make due of way less money, and still be happy-sorry-about the sound of music-I just really like Julie Andrews. And hanging strong, was not my strong point. I can get S.S. but will try to wait. I enjoy reading-and dogs. Only you know-sorry once more.
just hated the job-it was the no brainer decision-not the follow a dream. I just wanted to be free! I have no regrets either. had my eyes dilated so it is hard to see now. Wish you well.

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-24-2008 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or