Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:18 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

To me, shoes are one of those things you can't skimp on. If you wear cheap and bad shoes, that's going to hurt your feet, and that will spillover elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 11:41 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
Better quality food. No more 3/$1 pot pies. I ditched those long ago. Nicer fresh vegetables and better cuts of meat.

Things to make our lives a little easier. Someone to pressure treat or somehow clean the roofing so we don't have to. Stuff like that.

A newer (but not fancy) model car and pay for repairs instead of struggling to do it ourselves.

I wouldn't have a problem doing these types of things. Other than that I doubt my lifestyle would change much.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:04 AM

27 posts, read 54,649 times
I was a super saver during my working years. I only spent money on the essentials. I was very into investing and watching my money grow. After retirement, I went from accumulating to withdrawing. That was a difficult transition to make. I have to constantly remind myself not to stress over spending money. I don’t think a saver can ever become a spender.
Having said that, my home is the most important thing to me. I am a homebody and being in a beautiful environment is very important. I paid cash for the home I just bought, and being able to do that was a luxury.
I like dining out with friends and spending freely on quality groceries. But I am still cost conscious and that won’t change.
I am leaving my money to various charities, mainly animal shelters, which makes me happy.
Donna

Old 06-30-2018, 07:20 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
Knowing what it's like to be poor - splurge is not in our vocabulary.

We, too, have done well and will inherit. We are now mortgage and debt free - PRE-retirement.

Our idea of comfortable is having just what we need and not more. Because we are cautioned about what looms around the corner.

Having a home paid off - which we will move to in retirement - will be our ultimate splurge.

Then having accommodations (assisted living and nursing care) taken care of completely down the road - will give us peace of mind.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:49 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
So, to repeat the question, what things do YOU think are worth spending more on, and which splurges do you think are NOT worth it?
I think new automobiles, SUVs & trucks are WAY WAY overpriced. At the same time, I see the benefit of modern safety technology in a new or new-ish vehicle. Backup cameras, lane keeping assistance, adaptive cruise control, emergency crash mitigation braking systems and the like might just be worth it as we age -- after all, our eyesight, hearing, and reflexes are not as good as they were 40 years ago.

I just might upgrade my old Dodge Durango to something with more safety features, even though it has only 150K miles on it and is going strong.

Maybe next year. Or the year after that. Or the year after that...

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 06-30-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-30-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I am happy with a $6 or $10 bottle of wine.
I've found the only thing a $6 or $10 bottle of wine is good for is washing engine parts.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:02 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
A $30 bottle of wine is not just a splurge it is a waste.
I am a notorious cheapskate with myself (not others), but a couple of $30 bottles have been well worth it. Of course, it helps to know a little about wine.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Good coffee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Coffee, I can't stand the convenience store junk.
I can't stand bad coffee either. I roast my own. The irony is the coffee is both better than, say, Charbucks and half the price.

Do a youtube search for home coffee roasting & you'll see it is as easy as going to a thrift store to buy a $3 hot air popcorn popper. Unroasted coffee for hobbyists is typically the very best quality (there is only so much of it - not enough for a commercial roaster) and inexpensive on the interwebs.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Splurge money only- Business class seats on international flights. Premium Economy if you can’t do Business. Business or First class trains in Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Business class seats for overseas flights.
Yech. Still flying commercial?

Old 06-30-2018, 10:21 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
I grew-up quite poor, but, my wife and I have always held good jobs and have only infrequently 'struggled financially' during our 50-year marriage.

However, prior to retirement, the poor years of my youth, translated into an uncertainty (and probably inner fear) about the future. Thus, we were always more cost/value conscious, if not frugal, over the years than we really had to be.

Once retired (10-years ago), the uncertainty of whether we would "have enough to retire" was resolved. We now have a good, balanced financial situation (guaranteed lifetime income, no mortgage or major expenses, plenty of savings). We travel, spend, eat, etc. whatever we want, with few qualms about extras or extravagant spending.

My point is, I'm not sure how much of life's 'financial struggle' is actually based on real-time circumstances, versus an inner fear based on another time in one's life. For example, it's not uncommon for relatively wealthy people to be extremely, unnecessarily frugal and fearful about spending ... as though their next purchase would send them to the poor house. On the other hand, many low income people, who have very little, often splurge and overspend their way through life ... as though they had all the money in the world (and then struggle later in life).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement