Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:34 PM

129 posts, read 101,800 times

Advertisements

I recently retired and still am thinking like I am working. For instance I am thinking that I only have one more day off until Monday when I do not have work anymore. I am still scheduling things for the days I used to have off each week. I still am thinking that weekends are special when they are just like any other day where I live. I live among a lot of retired people so there is nothing to judge the days with.

One thing I noticed immediately is that my mind is clear when I go to sleep. I used to go over the day's work, think about what I needed to do tomorrow and the rest of the week. Now the only things on my calendar are doctor and dentist appointments.

I find myself in my old routines like going to bed at a certain time so that I can get at least 7 hours sleep before I had to get off for work. So far I just do not feel retired. How long before you get a retirement mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
You mean it doesn't start before one retires???

Old 07-01-2018, 04:36 AM

67 posts, read 57,523 times
It happened for me right away. The last couple of years work became really stressful so it was a big relief to retire.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:54 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
When I retired the second time, it took about a month to get settled into a new routine.

Suddenly, doing things mid-week in lieu of weekends became the norm. Costco at 10 AM on Tuesday is a breeze compared to Saturday afternoons.

But after about a month, I realized that I still needed to be needed. My wife had the same discovery. Otherwise every day is Groundhog day.

My wife, who is a retired RN fulfills that need by volunteering at the medical clinic at the homeless shelter, and I was enticed by my previous employer to work part time.

What I learned is that I cannot turn off my mind and I still love solving puzzles. I really missed working every day with brilliant people. So for me, a part time gig at just 20 hours per week was perfect. I also have a fresh 24 year old apprentice to train. I can have him do all the stuff that is routine while I concentrate on the stuff that requires experience and thinking.

Working just 20 hours (12% load) per week still leaves me with plenty of time to do other things. I think I've found a great balance. Oh, and the pay is awesome.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:27 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Two years ago when I retired I just abused my golf clubs. That helped me settle into retirement. The wife worked and I drove her there and picked her up after work. It was then I became the LYFT driver for the house with no pay. LOL

Old 07-01-2018, 05:40 AM

7 posts, read 5,538 times
Took me almost a year.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:04 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
You mean it doesn't start before one retires???

lol, I'm on a 17 month countdown and my mind is already on retirement.
At my job we have these end of year progress reports, we go over the previous years accomplishments and set goals for the next year. I am sooo tempted to write "my goal for 2019 is to do as little as possible, to take every last bit of my time and to have my knee replaced while on company healthcare. lol

Afterward you'll find me in Greece

Old 07-01-2018, 07:03 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

lol, I'm on a 17 month countdown and my mind is already on retirement.
At my job we have these end of year progress reports, we go over the previous years accomplishments and set goals for the next year. I am sooo tempted to write "my goal for 2019 is to do as little as possible, to take every last bit of my time and to have my knee replaced while on company healthcare. lol

Afterward you'll find me in Greece

Old 07-01-2018, 07:21 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
I rested for about the first 6 months. Just tootled doing what I wanted. During that time and the next six months I did major projects that were serious physical work.

After that I was ready to get onto other activities.

So my guess is you go through a transition mode ~ 6 months

enjoy

Old 07-01-2018, 07:41 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
When I first retired from a university, due to a very stressful job, I slept 16 hours a day for weeks. Routine? What routine? Being retired, you can do what you want, when you want to. So your days and nights might become all messed up. But that wont matter at all. Retirement is great fun! It's like being a little kid, but you are the boss. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement