Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:03 AM

5,946 posts, read 5,092,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Hey and maybe the women are secretly happy that they hit the road?

I would be glad if he was happy with someone else. I want him to enjoy life. Finding someone that will do that for him would’ve great. He has been through a lot.

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. I was involved with a guy for several years (at times we lived together -- in my place). There were so many positives about him. But the negatives just wouldn't go away. He is who he is. And I'm who I am. The negatives were more than I could handle and I was tired of trying to handle them. He would always come back after we split up and want to move back in. Why? I kept asking myself. Where is his self respect? I was not always very nice to him.

I finally solved the problem by moving away. I came back a year later and he had just gotten married.

I must admit I was very relieved.

I did sincerely think he deserved someone who could accept him, behaviors and all. I just could not do it anymore and keep my sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 11:15 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,509,799 times
My wife and I will be married 50 years in '19,
we're together thru most of the day, and we
wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:23 AM

5,946 posts, read 5,092,267 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^ I would have liked that, too.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:29 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,735,644 times
I went to Florida for a week last November and my husband stayed home. He's very much an introvert, but he told me that he may have to rethink getting married again if I go first. He was so lonely that he started talking to himself. I don't think that anybody would ever love me as much as he does. He's taken such good care of me after the surgery and drives me to my physical therapy. He cooks for us and does everything I can't do. He even planted the garden and flowers and he hates gardening. I can't imagine my life without him.

When you love somebody as much as we love each other, how can you replace that? Anybody else will just be second best. It's not about misandry for me. It's about not being able to love anybody else as much as I love John.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't rule out a FWB situation, but it would have to be with no strings or emotional commitment.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:30 AM

10,846 posts, read 7,253,106 times
I love spending time with my husband of thirty-plus years, but it's awfully nice when he goes away for a few hours or days. Over a week, and I miss him too much.

And, yeah, when he asks the same question over and over, I do want to scream. But I'm better off with him than without.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:32 AM

40 posts, read 27,599 times
[SIZE=5]Clemencia53[/SIZE]

I'm not officially attached and live with a roommate -

Taking forever to get ready to leave. We don't go anywhere together, but I prefer to leave the house after he is gone. He will leave doors open etc. Very absent minded.

He does a lot around here so I try to overlook this but after being asked ten times if I want something to eat after I said no in person and in text (a record he can review), it just drives me batty!!

Sounds like it's relationship for convenience. What do you really want in a man? If he is not what your looking for, then tell him you want to move on. You haven't made a commitment, so you are free right?

I had a partner for almost 8 years, but we did not live together. We were engaged once, bought the ring, etc.

But, he had some major issues after a divorce 5 years before, did not trust women. There's alot more to the story which I was learning, and I needed to move on, he was driving ME batty! I feel good, no baggage draining me anymore!

Old 07-09-2018, 11:41 AM

703 posts, read 609,842 times
Quote:
Always asking me questions from the other side of the house. I have to get up and go ask what?

Taking forever to get ready to leave. We don't go anywhere together, but I prefer to leave the house after he is gone. He will leave doors open etc. Very absent minded.

He does a lot around here so I try to overlook this but after being asked ten times if I want something to eat after I said no in person and in text (a record he can review), it just drives me batty!!

Do men get irritated with their women? How do y'all cope. .

I coped all these years by staying single. I understand everything you are saying above

Old 07-09-2018, 12:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,092,741 times
I think there are plenty of men who feel the same way as you do.

Even though I do like having a partner to do things with, I can appreciate having large chunks of time spent alone. That's why, when we downsized, we still bought a place with enough rooms that we can do separate activities. Small houses are great for us, but one of those trendy tiny houses might lead to divorce. Or murder, LOL.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 07-09-2018 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 12:30 PM

7,144 posts, read 9,231,932 times
Quote:
I thought that after this relationship was over, I would like to be involved with someone again - but I don't know.

Maybe separate living arrangements would work. And no "assigned" household chores. No expectations of making dinner or doing laundry. Just a carefree existence together - does that exist??
Carefree existence together?

Get a dog.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:39 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,206,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Carefree existence together?

Get a dog.
I have 8 dogs!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement