Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 12:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

Wow, what an enlightening thread. I am in my late-40's and have lived without a man since 2004. That's 14 years living without a man. And even when I was married, my husband worked a lot so was away from home a lot. When I first got divorced, I didn't feel lonely at all, in fact I was so happy to have the alone time and independence that I celebrated it for a long time. But now that my kids have recently flown the coop, I am truly alone and I feel the loneliness really creeping up on me and bothering me more and more. The only problem is, I am not sure that I want to live with a man again for many of the reasons iterated in this thread, but I also am in no way shape or form interested in FWB. I want more emotional intimacy and commitment than that. I just feel like I'm in a rock and a hard place. I want the benefits of a stable relationship but not the drawbacks (which includes caring for someone, married or not, when they become ill as we age, and probably dying). I am still trying to figure this all out.

Last edited by srjth; 09-25-2018 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 02:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

You are not alone yet. It's easy to say you won't want a replacement because he is still there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

yes - I do think that might be the reason sometimes. But when I hear my friends go on and on about their adventures - literally makes me cringe.

Ok - they do say the NEED physical contact aka sex - their primary reason for being on the prowl. No thanks....lol,....
Your friends (the friends you've been seeing from high school days in planning a high school reunion?) are probably not being completely honest about their motivations. They most likely have emotional needs, not just physical desires, which are motivating them to seek male companionship. They just do not want to verbally admit it in front of others; it's easier to keep that part to oneself, and admitting it isn't always easy.

You also mentioned that two of them are somewhat recently divorced and you wondered why they don't want to take a break from men. Sometimes divorced people are seeking validation and attention to assuage the emotional pain of divorce. And sometimes when getting over a break-up, finding another person to become involved with helps to alleviate the pain of the break-up. (if there happens to be emotional pain, or if not, seeking or finding new companionship can occupy one's mind and if lucky, meet some emotional needs)

Old 09-25-2018, 08:11 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - I do think that might be the reason sometimes. But when I hear my friends go on and on about their adventures - literally makes me cringe.

Ok - they do say the NEED physical contact aka sex - their primary reason for being on the prowl. No thanks....lol,....
Is there a physical relationship between you and the person you've lived with for so many years?

Old 09-25-2018, 08:23 PM

351 posts, read 492,257 times
57 yr old widow here. I would love another chapter. I don't like to be alone.

And no, no, no. This is not an ad looking for a relationship!

Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
Is there a physical relationship between you and the person you've lived with for so many years?
👎 nope

Old 09-25-2018, 11:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I don't see any reason to date women much past 55 or 60, and if women feel the same about men, that's fine with me.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:36 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
OMG - interesting info about former classmate. Believe she is being catfished. It is nuts. Main issue with not wanting to be alone.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:41 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Wow, what an enlightening thread. I am in my late-40's and have lived without a man since 2004. That's 14 years living without a man. And even when I was married, my husband worked a lot so was away from home a lot. When I first got divorced, I didn't feel lonely at all, in fact I was so happy to have the alone time and independence that I celebrated it for a long time. But now that my kids have recently flown the coop, I am truly alone and I feel the loneliness really creeping up on me and bothering me more and more. The only problem is, I am not sure that I want to live with a man again for many of the reasons iterated in this thread, but I also am in no way shape or form interested in FWB. I want more emotional intimacy and commitment than that. I just feel like I'm in a rock and a hard place. I want the benefits of a stable relationship but not the drawbacks (which includes caring for someone, married or not, when they become ill as we age, and probably dying). I am still trying to figure this all out.
Maybe a female roommate? I am a guy, and live alone since my divorce also. Love it. I do spend time with friends, and family, but don't think I want a live in relationship anymore. I really haven't missed the intimacy yet. Who knows, maybe I will.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:13 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Maybe a female roommate? I am a guy, and live alone since my divorce also. Love it. I do spend time with friends, and family, but don't think I want a live in relationship anymore. I really haven't missed the intimacy yet. Who knows, maybe I will.
Maybe. I don’t know. This thread made me kinda sad.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:22 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I don't see any reason to date women much past 55 or 60, and if women feel the same about men, that's fine with me.
What was your reason to date women before?

All the older single ladies I know do like to meet men and date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement