Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 04:38 AM

705 posts, read 562,086 times

Advertisements

I actually enjoy being with my husband, I never get tired of his company. We've never taken vacations separately. We don't need that proverbial time alone. I think I've said it before on here, he's my best friend. He and I think so much alike and agree that life is short, so is our time together.
I've always said IF something would happen to him, I wouldn't date, I have no desire to replace him for companionship or anything else. Why? Because he is the love of my life and I always tell others, I've got steak, I won't ever settle for hamburger. I remember when we watched the movie 'The Notebook' at the end, he said that's how we'll go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 05:00 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I actually enjoy being with my husband, I never get tired of his company. We've never taken vacations separately. We don't need that proverbial time alone. I think I've said it before on here, he's my best friend. He and I think so much alike and agree that life is short, so is our time together.
I've always said IF something would happen to him, I wouldn't date, I have no desire to replace him for companionship or anything else. Why? Because he is the love of my life and I always tell others, I've got steak, I won't ever settle for hamburger. I remember when we watched the movie 'The Notebook' at the end, he said that's how we'll go.
This is terrific, inspirational, and rarely heard anymore, it seems. I'm so glad you shared.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
My wife passed away nine years ago. I miss her, and I miss the companionship. I also miss not having had children. I work alone, I eat alone, I go on vacation alone, I go out alone. I hate it. I hate not having someone to share my life and experiences with. It scares me to think about aging alone and dying alone.

I have a single brother, father, uncle, and I know many other single men, and none of them enjoy being single.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:01 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
As a man, my point of view is that most women become more irritable with age. Once the kids are gone (if they had any), it seems a lot of women become easily annoyed with her spouses, as well as with friends. So many women I know in their 50s and older, who were delightful company in their younger days seem to become easily irritataed, more solitary and less engaged with other people. My one sister-in-law travels frequently to get away from my brother. He is the most laid back agreeable person in the world but annoys her to no end because, “ he doesn’t do anything.” Umm, he’s still working full time and likes to relax on the weekends. I know women who complain that their friends have become boring, after being friends for 25 years. Seems to me a lot of women of a certain age are unhappy with themselves but believe the problem is everyone else. I don’t know why other men quickly remarry when they go through a divorce or their wife dies. Seems to me most men are more content with aging than women. Why live with someone who is chronically discontent.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:08 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
As a man, my point of view is that most women become more irritable with age. Once the kids are gone (if they had any), it seems a lot of women become easily annoyed with her spouses, as well as with friends. So many women I know in their 50s and older, who were delightful company in their younger days seem to become easily irritataed, more solitary and less engaged with other people. My one sister-in-law travels frequently to get away from my brother. He is the most laid back agreeable person in the world but annoys her to no end because, “ he doesn’t do anything.” Umm, he’s still working full time and likes to relax on the weekends. I know women who complain that their friends have become boring, after being friends for 25 years. Seems to me a lot of women of a certain age are unhappy with themselves but believe the problem is everyone else. I don’t know why other men quickly remarry when they go through a divorce or their wife dies. Seems to me most men are more content with aging than women. Why live with someone who is chronically discontent.
Thanks - good observation.

Wonder if they have hit the "is that all there is phase of life"? Are we more sensitive in general?

Old 07-11-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
This is very, very close to what I would have written had I chosen to elaborate on my comment made early in the thread.

It can be summed up with "nag, nag, nag". So many older women become insufferable....at home and at work. My very favorite people in life have always been women. But sadly, in today's world, the wonderful qualities that endear them to me largely vanish by middle age.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
This is very, very close to what I would have written had I chosen to elaborate on my comment made early in the thread.

It can be summed up with "nag, nag, nag". So many older women become insufferable....at home and at work. My very favorite people in life have always been women. But sadly, in today's world, the wonderful qualities that endear them to me largely vanish by middle age.
but what if you are not a "nag, nag, nag" type of person?

Old 07-11-2018, 06:56 AM

Maybe it is the PTSD. Any Vietnam vets here?

Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 AM

Is there an acceptable level of nagging? LOL

And what are the types of nagging that y'all hate the most?

Old 07-11-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
but what if you are not a "nag, nag, nag" type of person?
Then you are a refreshing exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement