Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:48 PM

18 posts, read 20,512 times

Advertisements

so i just googled , good conversation starters and this one came up as one of them (there was like 350) and i thought this would be a good thread starter

title says it all , what do you think people will ask you about life and the world when you reach like 80 , what stories do you think you will be able to offer later on in life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 06:06 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
I am old, and they don't. Children are completely indifferent, and think I am lying if I try to tell them about when there was no TV and children played outdoors with each other. And their attention span is too short to listen to anything other than a one-line anecdote about "when I was your age" and are unable to formulate any follow-up questions.

They are destined to reinvent all the wheels of wisdom.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:14 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
What cebuan says. They are no more interested in hearing my stories than I cared to hear my parent's stories.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:10 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
What cebuan says. They are no more interested in hearing my stories than I cared to hear my parent's stories.
Actually, I thought my parents' stories were fascinating. They were born in 1900 and 1908, were married in 1931 at the height of the depression. I listened to them with rapt attention, and by proxy, I have over a century of memories.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:14 PM

498 posts, read 571,763 times
What cebuan says. I am 75 and my grown grandkids (and my grade school grandkids) never ask to hear stories. They really are not interested.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:15 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
I would listen to my dad's WW2 stories. The ones he could tell us about. Nothing too gory.

I'm glad I did.

My mom would also tell us stories about their days as migrant workers. Very interesting too.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:38 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioFalcone View Post
so i just googled , good conversation starters and this one came up as one of them (there was like 350) and i thought this would be a good thread starter
Apparently, you think quick a few things are good thread starters. You've made 11 posts in the two weeks since you've joined City-Data, and all 11 have been to create new threads. Not only that, but the 11 threads are in 11 different forums. I'd ask you why you've done so, but that would no doubt be futile since you've never come back to post a comment in any of the 11 threads that you've created. Here are the other 10 "good thread starters" for those who may be interested:

What is the worst day out you have ever had?

Which is your favourite room in your home?

Which is your least favourite room in your home?

Who was your dream woman/man when you were a teenager?

When was the first time you were in debt?

Rate every job you have ever had out of 10?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/games...stion-lie.html

What are the differences between you and your siblings?

Strangest place you have ever exercised?

What is the loudest thing you have slept through?

Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 PM

705 posts, read 562,086 times
I think in general that kids today are different and they don't care. When I was growing up I loved listening to stories of 'The olden days' from my parents and other family members. It was back when they had outhouses, had to haul water to the house and didn't have electricity in their homes. I could have sat and listened to those stories forever and a day. I have my grandmothers cast iron 'irons' that she used to iron their clothes.

I babysat for a friends grands a few years ago and told them when I was a kid we had one TV set, it was black and white and we only got 3 channels. I told them we had 8 track tapes and vinyl records instead of ipods. I told them we had no cell phones, we had phone booths. They pretty much couldn't comprehend this and they were only interested in their ipods and iphones. They couldn't even look away long to eat lunch. They were both under 10. I hear this from a lot of people about their grandchildren. I think kids today are just different.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:29 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I don't think there will be much interest until the "kids" are older and are fully able to comprehend some of the major changes we have seen in our life. My granddaughter, who is 9, saw an old wall phone in my aunt's garage and asked what it was. It wasn't THAT long ago that most of us had landlines. Today's young kids probably can't picture a world without cell phones or flat screen TV's.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:43 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I am old, and they don't. Children are completely indifferent, and think I am lying if I try to tell them about when there was no TV and children played outdoors with each other. And their attention span is too short to listen to anything other than a one-line anecdote about "when I was your age" and are unable to formulate any follow-up questions.

They are destined to reinvent all the wheels of wisdom.

Absolutely. Children, grandchildren, other relatives, friends-----no one wants to hear a bunch of old people telling stories. If you think your life is all that interesting and needs an audience, write your memoirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement