Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 02:14 PM

88,273 posts, read 84,241,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Where do you live? Lol
I know! Let me see that poster on any highway in the northern New Jersey suburbs at 5:30 any weekday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,201,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So now that I'm pretty much retired, I do what has to be done in the middle of the day. I figure that's the quietest time for most businesses. When I was working, I always had to shop and do things after I got off work.

So today at 2pm, I toodle off to the grocery store, expecting a nice, quiet shopping experience. Boy, was I wrong! The lot was packed and so was the store. At 2pm on a Thursday afternoon.

I don't remember this happening 20 years or so ago. When I was on vacation, I remember marveling at how quiet and unbusy places were during the day. Not in this day and age, apparently.

Anybody else notice this?
The elderly / retired segment of the population is growing faster than the other segments of the population as baby boomers age. That is why public places at midday are more crowded than they were 20 years ago.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:35 PM

10,600 posts, read 12,054,591 times
Quote:
I quickly remind myself “If I’m employed but off right now, maybe that applies to them too?” Why do you not realize this, though?
Because, quite simply....my world revolves around ME!

Old 07-15-2018, 05:37 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,624,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I always do my shopping as early as possible. Most people are still in bed at 7 AM.

I love being able to have the whole store to myself.

The whole key to avoiding crowds is to plan ahead so you are there when they are not around.

I find going earlier in the day is the best time. I'm always home by 11:30 or 12 at the latest, after
running all my errands. By then it's starting to get busy. I leave the apt around 10 or so.

I went up to Wal-Mart, (not planned) on a Sunday evening and there were hardly any customers, I was
shocked, as I expected it to be packed.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:56 PM

88,273 posts, read 84,241,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Because, quite simply....my world revolves around ME!
And they are in my way. Why can't all these people just get the f outta my way?

I'm not asking for much.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:02 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,061,872 times
Quote:
So now that I'm pretty much retired, I do what has to be done in the middle of the day. I figure that's the quietest time for most businesses. When I was working, I always had to shop and do things after I got off work.

So today at 2pm, I toodle off to the grocery store, expecting a nice, quiet shopping experience. Boy, was I wrong! The lot was packed and so was the store. At 2pm on a Thursday afternoon.

I don't remember this happening 20 years or so ago. When I was on vacation, I remember marveling at how quiet and unbusy places were during the day. Not in this day and age, apparently.

Thanks to Obamacare, nobody works full time any more. People are trying to survive on two or three jobs which, all together don't add up to 40 hours. So they have a lot more free time than they used to.

God bless you for not going during lunch. It drives me crazy when I have a 1 hour lunch break to get a lot of errands completed and people who aren't working clog up the lines at the bank, grocery store, etc., when they could go any time.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:00 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,272,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I think the era of most people working 9-5 jobs has passed. There really isn't a rush hour anymore, either.
Try the LIE on Long Island at 7am and 6pm. You will rethink that statement.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,181,823 times
Quote:

I have had the same thought many times. Lots of people on disability and not sure about the rest.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 AM

4,110 posts, read 2,990,607 times
I stop at the little grocery store each day. It is directly on my way home. I'm in and out in under 5 minutes. Since they don't have everything I need, I occasionally have to stop at other stores, but not on a regular basis. I am worried that when the owner retires (he is a bit older than I am), the store will close.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:53 AM

9,349 posts, read 13,999,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Thanks to Obamacare, nobody works full time any more. People are trying to survive on two or three jobs which, all together don't add up to 40 hours. So they have a lot more free time than they used to....
This makes no sense. The ACA affordable care act was a health insurance plan. Care to explain what you meant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement