Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 09:54 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,668,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have my sleep remedy in Alt Med here...it's under That Elusive Sleep...could be all or some of it would help you. I sleep 8-10 hrs nightly.
Okay, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This where Tryptophan 500mg caps could work for you. I use to stay awake for TOO LONG with those wake ups and since I added "T", no more.
Oh, I recall taking L-Tryptophan years ago when needed, don't recall the dosage, but it worked for me. Then at some point it was taken off the market. Where do I get it, now?

Last edited by In2itive_1; 08-29-2018 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 10:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,664,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
That sounds like a good possibility for me. Other regular medicine tried has kept me awake.
Careful with edibles. They are slow to start and people have a tendency to get anxious and eat more.

No.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,573,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post

Oh, I recall taking L-Tryptophan years ago when needed, don't recall the dosage, but it worked for me. Then at some point it was taken off the market. Where do I get it, now?
Amazon.com has a good number of L-Tryptophan brands of capsules.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:40 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,668,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Careful with edibles. They are slow to start and people have a tendency to get anxious and eat more.

No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Amazon.com has a good number of L-Tryptophan brands of capsules.
Thank you, both. Good to know.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:38 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,664,092 times
For the last couple of weeks I've taken nothing but my ropinirole and maybe Aleve or aspirin. I'm sleeping well w/o smoking pot and I like it. I know it won't last, but for now...

Old 09-08-2018, 05:46 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,215,253 times
My wife says drinking alcohol in the evening is interfering with my sleep. No alcohol last night. Went to bed about 10:30 pm. Up at 3 am after tossing and turning for an hour or so. Hmm, that didn't seem to work. I guess I'll have a drink tonight and see if I sleep any better.

I'm getting darn tired (hah hah) of my lack of sleep, feeling like a zombie during the day, but by night time I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed.

BTW-Tek-Freek, where to you get ropinirole?

Old 09-08-2018, 06:45 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,640,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
My wife says drinking alcohol in the evening is interfering with my sleep. No alcohol last night. Went to bed about 10:30 pm. Up at 3 am after tossing and turning for an hour or so. Hmm, that didn't seem to work. I guess I'll have a drink tonight and see if I sleep any better.

I'm getting darn tired (hah hah) of my lack of sleep, feeling like a zombie during the day, but by night time I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed.

BTW-Tek-Freek, where to you get ropinirole?
Why do you want to take ropinirole? It was prescribed to my husband for restless leg but when I read the side effects, I said No. He started buying zinc capsules instead. That solved the RLS right away. Lots of older people have zinc deficiency anyway. Sometimes magnesium citrate will help with sleep, and it can help with the rls if you're deficient in magnesium instead of zinc.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:30 AM

16,062 posts, read 10,716,913 times
I had hip surgery a month ago followed by a couple weeks of pain meds, muscle relaxers, nerve pain meds. Once off the pain meds, I have a heck of a time sleeping. There must be a brain chemistry thing going on that I hope will wear off. I might get 4 hours of sleep after 2 AM on some nights. My brain can't find the off button.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:28 AM

5,240 posts, read 3,601,795 times
From high school onwards I can rarely sleep before 1:30 am, since retirement I still go to bed between 1-2am but now get 7+ hours sleep. Some wine or G&T can help but I rarely do that more than 2X/wk.

If I go to bed earlier my mind races through anxiety inducing monologues that just feed into more anxiety that I'm unable to sleep "when I should". One recent big help has been listening to podcasts that aren't about news or current events or anything else that could provoke a stressful reaction or even much interest. I have found one that is mostly conversations with authors, artists etc.. that displaces my thoughts & at a low volume helps lull me to sleep ( & the "Sleep" function turns off my device after 90 minutes).

There are also free apps that are endless loops of rain, wind, etc that might help some people, I find listening in on a friendly but non-involving conversation works well for me for shutting down my inner monologue & inducing a beta state.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:36 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,626,620 times
I put an Eagles concert on ("Farewell" Tour from Melbourne) on the TV and though it's energetic, I can fall asleep to it, in a good mood since all the songs are so enjoyable. Otherwise, as said above, I get in that negative feedback loop and ruminate.

I slept through a 6.5 earthquake 2 nights ago. Sheesh. Bed-shaking and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement