Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:27 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
There are a number of large American aerospace companies that practice outrageous age discrimination. The laws need to be more balanced, so older employees can be better protected. Having said that, once someone can no longer do the job, it is fair for a company to release the individual.
IBM is being sued for age discrimination

https://www.propublica.org/article/f...ge-bias-at-ibm

Same for Disney https://www.schwartzandperry.com/Blo...n-Lawsuit.aspx

My husband worked for a financial company. Basically, there are repeated layoffs where 90% of the fired employees are age of 45 to 65, then 10% of the fired are age 23 to 40. If you average out the age of those fired it appears not to be age discrimination because the youngster lower the average. Then the company brought in cheaper labor - either much younger or foreign labor.

My husband was always a hard worker with fantastic annual reviews so his "layoff" was difficult to take - especially with two children in college. It was little comfort that his younger & foreign replacement failed.

It is only getting worse for the American worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 11:39 AM

705 posts, read 561,804 times
What Age is Too Old to Keep Working?

I think it depends on the person. I've known people in their 80's that are still sharp as a tack and healthy enough to continue working, depending on the job of course. Some of us aren't that lucky and have health problems that prevents us from continuing working at a much younger age.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:03 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Depends on whether one 'works to live' or 'lives to work.' The former retire early, while the latter continue on until they are forced to retire.

Another factor is one's plan for their retirement years. Simply "no longer going to work" will leave one equally bored and unhappy in retirement. Those with outside interests and a plan will happily retire.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:27 PM

890 posts, read 882,141 times
YorktownGal - I agree. You can add GE and Honeywell to the list. I was an engineer at GE Aircraft Engines from 1977-1984, and only 1 engineer I knew made it to normal retirement age. I have seen the same at other companies as well.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:50 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have been on pension for 17 years. I still have not decided what I want to be when I grow-up.
I say the same thing! LOL

Old 07-18-2018, 01:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
What age is too old to work? Well, that would depend entirely on the individual. I know a university professor who's in her 90's, and is still going strong! She's an inspiration to her students, and actively mentors them. She's a powerhouse! I also recall a 60 Minutes segment on this very topic, in which people pushing 100 were still working. I think everyone who wants to work, and is still sharp and competent, should be able to work.

Retaining the option to work is of growing importance in this era of rising qualification-age for Social Security. The gummint wants us to keep working, but employers are kicking the 50+ people out. Something's gotta give.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:45 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
My brother in law worked for Lockheed till he was 72. they even started paying him his pension while he was still working there full time. As it was they did not let him go he just finally retired.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:55 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
I'm 66 and I've slowed down my business over the last year or so, but my work as an appraiser is just so easy I think I'd be crazy to stop completely. I have plenty of time for my hobbies and interests and I can take time off whenever I want to since I'm self-employed. My license comes up for renewal when I turn 69, so I'll give it more thought then.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:40 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Let's go with 40. Because that's when work becomes a distraction while life is full throttle on more important life goals. that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Old 07-18-2018, 02:48 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
Your last paragraph was great !

I wish more employees were like you.
Some would look at an annual performance rating that was low and blame that " false rating" on age discrimination.

I served two terms as an elected school board member and was simply appalled by some employees keeping onto their jobs well into their mid 70's when their performance had slipped considerably and never would have been tolerated by a younger employee.

I once had a talk with our school lawyer and he stated it is frustrating for him him regarding ANY discrimination case he defends against.

It seems white males under about 55 can be fired at will in many work places ( any reason/no reason)

He stated whenever a "protected" ( female, gay, religion. minority, senior) is fired , the burden is on the EMPLOYER to prove the firing was not discrimination.

He stated if it is legal to fire a white male from 18-55, the burden should be on the person claiming discrimination to PROVE it WAS discrimination rather than on the employer to prove it was NOT discrimination.

Very frustrating to hear that a 76 year old cook liked to brag about her seniority yet could not perform her tasks and threatened an age discrimination lawsuit if she got fired.

I realize the consensus of the board was 5-1 to do nothing regarding her firing, but as the lone no vote I couldn't see my taxes and those of others being wasted by keeping her employed
Your attorney is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement