Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:43 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
When I was moving from one apartment to another there was a problem and I could not move into new apartment when I needed to. So I stayed in a motel for about 5 weeks until new apartment was ready.

Good luck!

I am on a very tight budget, too, but sometimes things happen that are not in your control. I didn't want to live in my car or on the street. I used a credit card. But that's a whole other story.
as I said, it would be a last resort, but I might have to....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You could ASK to put into contract to be allowed to stay an extra month while waiting for apt but new owners don't have to do that...

Not sure what else...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I agree with the above!
If you're talking about delaying the closing by one month, that's one thing. But if you're talking about a post-closing tenancy for one month, no buyers in their right minds should do that. Unless the OP is selling to an investor who plans to rent the house anyway, there are too many pitfalls from the buyer's point of view for them to agree to allow the OP to stay in the house.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:52 PM

84 posts, read 84,685 times
* Put into the sales listing for your home the extended date (beyond the typical 60 days until closing) you need. Many lenders will not, however, allow a closing that is beyond 60 days. You may need a buyer who doesn't need a mortgage lender, and thus, can close beyond the 60 days.

* Do NOT rent back your home from your new buyer. Should anything go wrong (ex: appliances, flooring, etc.,) YOU could be held responsible. This advice came from both our attorney and real estate agent.

* Find a short-term rental apartment or a sub-let. Put your household goods into storage and move them when your new home is ready.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:42 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Some movers have a facility for short term storage. I don't know what they charge.

For more ideas, see the Moving forum here on City-Data.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/

Old 07-16-2018, 05:44 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
So what your saying is, I could sell the home, with a contract that allows me to live there until an apartment becomes available?

Thanks
You're probably going to have a hard time with that kind of contract. Buyers aren't going to want to wait to move so you can have an apartment available. Many buyers won't consider putting their lives on hold to accommodate you.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
I'm going to sell my home, and move across country. Here's the problem...I am moving into an apartment...however, upon selling my home, what if the apartment is not yet available, what to do? Any suggestions?
How about getting the apartment a little early if it's available early maybe about a month or two. You'll be paying rent for an empty apartment but you are guaranteed it will be there the day you can move into it. I think that's better than staying and paying for a motel for a month.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
If you know where you'll be moving to, research short term rentals or extended stay hotels in the area ahead of time. Have you found your future apartment? Find out how flexible the complex can be and under what circumstances. They might have a unit used for short term/transient/relocation type situations. When I moved cross country a couple of times I used one while house shopping. Obviously I couldn't be exact about the time needed. It worked out. KNOWING what options actually exist will help you plan.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:00 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Quote:
I'm going to sell my home, and move across country. Here's the problem...I am moving into an apartment...however, upon selling my home, what if the apartment is not yet available, what to do? Any suggestions?

Do you have a buyer for your home? Do you have a closing date? Have you hired a mover? How much furniture are you moving? Have you already found an apartment?

I assume you are downsizing since you are moving from a house to an apartment. Talk to some moving companies and explain your situation. They may have temporary storage that won't cost an exorbitant amount if you are not moving much. Are you going to drive across the country and then look for an apartment or do you already have something picked out?

Tell us a little more about your plans.

I did everything wrong but in the end everything turned out okay

Old 07-17-2018, 05:35 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
maybe use that Pods company, moving and storage (if you wind up needing storage).

Old 07-17-2018, 06:07 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
maybe use that Pods company, moving and storage (if you wind up needing storage).
Now that's a great idea. I'll check into it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement