Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:20 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
We had a POD in our driveway for a month while we had work done on our house.

I wouldn't ever consider it for a move. It would be very hard to load it so things didn't crash around it. There have been cases where the POD company has dropped the box while in transit or at its facility, breaking everything.

Good luck!
I guess I always stupidly assumed that the PODs were kept in a climate-controlled storage facility. It turns out they’re not.

We were on an Amtrak train on the outskirts of a city when I started to see PODs scattered here and there along the tracks. The “facility” seems to be out in the open, in a big dirt lot, wherever they can find room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 02:33 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
We bought the house of our dreams almost a year before we were/are ready to move. The seller hadn't found an apartment that was "clean enough" for them so they had no where to go. Our realtor suggested they rent their own house back from us. It's working out perfectly! They pay their rent early every month, direct deposit, we didn't have to find a tenant and deal with a property manager and pay a commission. We kept the lawn guy, we pay him monthly, and we kept "their" house insurance! They weren't even there for May and June, they were travelling. Their lease is up December 21, and we'll be heading there right after Christmas. Then, in the spring we'll have to come back to Wisconsin and sell our house here. (No one wants to buy a house and move in January in Wisconsin, trust me.)

Old 07-18-2018, 01:32 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
The last time I moved, I paid for two places for a month. A number of years later, I don't miss the money and my life was made infinitely easier. I don't know if that helps because I wasn't selling a house, I was buying one and my lease was ending on an apartment.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:58 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
We bought the house of our dreams almost a year before we were/are ready to move. The seller hadn't found an apartment that was "clean enough" for them so they had no where to go. Our realtor suggested they rent their own house back from us. It's working out perfectly! They pay their rent early every month, direct deposit, we didn't have to find a tenant and deal with a property manager and pay a commission. We kept the lawn guy, we pay him monthly, and we kept "their" house insurance! They weren't even there for May and June, they were travelling. Their lease is up December 21, and we'll be heading there right after Christmas. Then, in the spring we'll have to come back to Wisconsin and sell our house here. (No one wants to buy a house and move in January in Wisconsin, trust me.)
LOL, nice read, and contribution, thanks

Old 07-18-2018, 04:59 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The last time I moved, I paid for two places for a month. A number of years later, I don't miss the money and my life was made infinitely easier. I don't know if that helps because I wasn't selling a house, I was buying one and my lease was ending on an apartment.
yeah, I didn't mind either, but I've worked my way thru the unknown part, so it's all good now.

thanks

Old 07-18-2018, 06:33 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
That depends totally on the market and the buyer. I sold my house in May, full contract and deposit, no real estate agents, and the contract states the closing will be the week before our new closing, about Oct1. We have to maintain the house in the same condition it was shown in. I agree this is a bit unusual of a time length, but we did not plan on even putting the house on the market until August, as everything around here sells in a day, usually with a bidding war. We chose a price that was above comps, but didn’t care to maximize the sale price, because of the cost of savings to us in not having to move twice and pay rents on storage and a short term apt. The buyer was insistent on doing what it took to buy our house, having been looking for a year and lost out on 3 previous homes due to bidding wars.
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here. If you "sold" your house in May, but the closing isn't until October 1st, then you haven't really sold your house yet; you're merely under contract to sell your house, right? Or have I misinterpreted what you've written?

And if you're also saying that the closing this fall is a week before the closing on your new house, are you then renting back your old house for that one-week period? If that's the case, then I stand by my initial comment that no buyer in their right mind should do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement