Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:32 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

The idea that a little ocean breeze constitutes better weather in Florida in July is laughable...….doubt its doing much to blow away the 80-90% humidity today. Florida heat is brutal everywhere.

I live in an oceanfront house in Central Florida. I can state with zero uncertainty that the ocean breeze makes a huge difference in the heat and comfort. Inland summer daytime temps are usually significantly higher and the comfort level drastically worse. On the rare summer days that we get a west wind then the beach is as hot as anywhere else but on the vast majority of days, we can depend on a cooling sea breeze by lunchtime.

Note that I'm talking directly on or very close to the beach. You don't have to travel very far inland to lose that benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 AM

989 posts, read 769,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I live in an oceanfront house in Central Florida. I can state with zero uncertainty that the ocean breeze makes a huge difference in the heat and comfort. Inland summer daytime temps are usually significantly higher and the comfort level drastically worse. On the rare summer days that we get a west wind then the beach is as hot as anywhere else but on the vast majority of days, we can depend on a cooling sea breeze by lunchtime.

Note that I'm talking directly on or very close to the beach. You don't have to travel very far inland to lose that benefit.
I think after 3 miles it is gone. We are 1.5miles as the crow flies and we always have some sort of a breeze after about 9am. Enough so it is impossible to fly a light model aircraft. So much so I gave up the hobby.. We live in North East Florida about 40 miles south of JAX.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:34 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Actually, by definition, it does.

Unless you want to argue that over 50% of the homes in the area are all in crime-infested, lower-class areas.
I am no longer amazed at how often that kind of opinion is expressed here. There are plenty of less expensive neighborhoods with very little crime. This forum is skewed; what a lot of people here consider lower class is actually middle class.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:24 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post

Sorry, based on my own considerable experience being oceanfront in summer I'm not buying that.

These are the numbers today:

Temp/Humidity/Wind

Jacksonville Beach 86/76/12

Ponte Vedra Beach 88/74/11

Ormond Beach 88/73/10

New Smyrna Beach 88/72/8

Deland(inland) 88/74/7

Its hot as heck everywhere in FL today. And a few mph sea breeze are not making an appreciable difference in that fact unless your only plans for the rest of your life are to sit on the beach! If you have to do normal things like go to the grocery store the heat from the asphalt parking lot is going to blast you wherever you are, your car will be like an oven, and you will be running A/C like most everyone else.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Sorry, based on my own considerable experience being oceanfront in summer I'm not buying that.

These are the numbers today:

Temp/Humidity/Wind

Jacksonville Beach 86/76/12

Ponte Vedra Beach 88/74/11

Ormond Beach 88/73/10

New Smyrna Beach 88/72/8

Deland(inland) 88/74/7

Its hot as heck everywhere in FL today. And a few mph sea breeze are not making an appreciable difference in that fact unless your only plans for the rest of your life are to sit on the beach! If you have to do normal things like go to the grocery store the heat from the asphalt parking lot is going to blast you wherever you are, your car will be like an oven, and you will be running A/C like most everyone else.
Kind of a nit, but those "humidity" numbers are dew points. The relative humidity is lower than that as the air heats up. The RH is in the 60s, which is still pretty high. One of my pet peeves is when people hear the morning weather and it's 75 and the humidity is around 90% because the dew point is in the low 70s. Then later when it's near 90 outside, they think it is still 90% RH but it isn't. The dew point is still in the low 70s and 90 degree air can hold a lot more water, so the RH is down in the mid 60s. That is still sweltering if there isn't a breeze.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Kind of a nit, but those "humidity" numbers are dew points. The relative humidity is lower than that as the air heats up. The RH is in the 60s, which is still pretty high. One of my pet peeves is when people hear the morning weather and it's 75 and the humidity is around 90% because the dew point is in the low 70s. Then later when it's near 90 outside, they think it is still 90% RH but it isn't. The dew point is still in the low 70s and 90 degree air can hold a lot more water, so the RH is down in the mid 60s. That is still sweltering if there isn't a breeze.
HA...…...well its time for the daily afternoon thunderstorm, so we are all inside in A/C avoiding lightning strikes.

Hot and humid to this degree is all the same to me breeze or no breeze.

I love the beach, but I have lots of reasons for not living there. At one time I thought I would like to, but the fact it might be a few degrees cooler due to ocean breezes is not something that ever made it onto my pros/cons list.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:58 AM

Way better than snow. Try living in Canada for 10 years. We lived in the Caribbean for a while too. Florida is a cakewalk compared to some of those islands.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Way better than snow. Try living in Canada for 10 years. We lived in the Caribbean for a while too. Florida is a cakewalk compared to some of those islands.
Agreed. I much prefer the heat to cold and snow. And the payoff comes later when temps are perfect.

My only point is that people considering retiring to FL and spending time here during hot weather should be sure they can tolerate it before they retire here.

I know quite a few people who retired here and then moved back north or half-back north to the Carolina's because they couldn't adjust to the heat.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:18 PM

We wish there were less people here, so if they do not come it is fine with me. Tell them it is too hot and full of alligators that eat our dogs and cats. Although NE Florida is it's best kept secret. We do not have the crowds or unbearable traffic. I wonder for how long.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
We wish there were less people here, so if they do not come it is fine with me. Tell them it is too hot and full of alligators that eat our dogs and cats. Although NE Florida is it's best kept secret. We do not have the crowds or unbearable traffic. I wonder for how long.
I don't think it is that much of a secret. I am thinking east coast and keep sliding up and down in my search. I definitely won't go past halfway down. St Augs is anything but unknown. Historically, NE FL has less hurricanes than much of the state and while it has some semblance of seasons you can count on nice days every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement