Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:05 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I yell at golfers to get their carts off my driveway. Seriously! We have a second driveway that goes to a second garage, in the lower level of our house. Golfers use our driveway as a shortcut to the cart path, even though we are next door to a large open common lawn that they could drive on. It's annoying because that driveway goes right beneath our bedroom window maybe 5 feet from the side of the house, and right up to our garage. Why they think it's fine to drive through someone's yard is beyond me. We put cones in the driveway, they moved them. We put up signs saying "private drive-no carts" and they ignore them. Finally we put a chain across the driveway. At least once, we've found that someone took it down to drive through! our drive is literally 10 feet from the open lawn that is common property, but people want to drive through our yard.
Two terms for these spoiled brat adults: Lazy, and oppositional defiant

And to think these people are supposedly mature, and it is probably a nice neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 AM

705 posts, read 562,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Good solution if you are in the right location. Where we live now, a property owner can kill a dog that harms their livestock. AND the dog owners would not try to use some lame excuse such as, “But he was just playing!” In fact, we knew someone who shot his own dog that was harassing someone else’s horses (not here, but in the same state). He figured that once the dog had gotten a taste of predation it would not be reversible.

But if someone had done that in the bad-owner-infested town, the livestock owner would probably get sued by the aggressive dog’s owner. Nice example of blaming the victim.
I'm pretty sure it was a stray, it had no collar and looked rough. A lot of people think it's okay just to dump out unwanted pets in the country and it happened a lot. Do they really think they can fend for themselves? I'd rather they were taken to the pound, at least they have a chance to get a new home.
The fact is I wouldn't have shot it if I'd had another option. I actually tried to catch it so I could call animal control but it was growing at me.

In Texas the law allows people to kill animals discovered in the act of injuring livestock or damaging crops, but the landowner must kill the predatory animals at the time of that discovery (Tex. Pen. Code § 42.092).

Old 07-19-2018, 11:04 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I used to live in a 4-plex and the renters in the end unit had three kids that they just let run wild. I always took care of my end of the lawn and planted flowers, etc., and those kids thought that was the greatest thing ever. On hot summer days, I'd squirt the kids with my garden hose, telling them that I was making them grow - just like my flowers. The kids just loved it, and we all had a blast!

Now I live out in the country and the people across the road from me shoot at the prairie dogs at all hours of the day and night and ride around on noisey ATV's. I stand in my front yard and yell at them just to blow off steam. They're too far away (mostly) to hear me, so I cuss 'em out good!

Thank heavens all my other neighbors are wonderful. If any kids want to come run across my lawn and want to get squirted, I'd be delighted to comply.
Are you kidding? Idiots shoot guns? At prairie dogs? And ride around on ATVs? I would be outa there so fast...or I'd call the police on them. I live in suburbia though--it's different way out in the country. I would never put up with someone shooting a gun though.

We used to have a rotten neighbor kid who would ride his skateboard down the neighbor's sloping front yard and into the road. Without even asking if it was okay. That neighbor was a young guy but he yelled at that kid and made him stop doing it. That guy cared about his lawn and the trespassing and noise plus riding the skateboard right down into the road? My yard had too many trees so the kid couldn't ride his skateboard there.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:15 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Are you kidding? Idiots shoot guns? At prairie dogs? And ride around on ATVs? I would be outa there so fast...or I'd call the police on them. I live in suburbia though--it's different way out in the country. I would never put up with someone shooting a gun though.
Good thing you don't live near us. My husband shoots starlings, squirrels, raccoons, whatever is chasing birds we want at the feeder, eating the hosta or digging our flowers up. You seriously think people that shoot at nuisance wildlife are idiots?

Old 07-19-2018, 11:40 AM

292 posts, read 163,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
Just curious if there are any older people that would really yell at kids to get off their lawn like the movies lol.
Do kids poop on the lawn?

Oh yes that is dogs

So no, of course I wouldn't yell at a kid on my lawn
How mean

Old 07-19-2018, 11:43 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
When lived in the city, I often heard gunfire, people shooting at each other. Moved to the country and heard people shooting at wild pigs. I prefer the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Good thing you don't live near us. My husband shoots starlings, squirrels, raccoons, whatever is chasing birds we want at the feeder, eating the hosta or digging our flowers up. You seriously think people that shoot at nuisance wildlife are idiots?

Old 07-19-2018, 11:49 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I can't even begin to say what I really think about this.....SMH!

Old 07-19-2018, 11:55 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I have an electrified fence. Zap! It's the Mormons and Jehovahs Witnesses that still get through.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:08 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Whoever started this thread has to know of the proverbial stereotype of the retiree yelling at those whipper snappers to get off my lawn! Actually, my theory is that retirees that I know are probably less likely to get nasty with young kids being on their lawns than younger people as long as they aren't being disrespectful of the property or with their behavior.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:10 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

We used to have a rotten neighbor kid who would ride his skateboard down the neighbor's sloping front yard and into the road. Without even asking if it was okay. That neighbor was a young guy but he yelled at that kid and made him stop doing it. That guy cared about his lawn and the trespassing and noise plus riding the skateboard right down into the road? My yard had too many trees so the kid couldn't ride his skateboard there.
People are allowed to shoot on their own property, in some rural areas. The risk, of course, is that the shooter aims poorly and the shot hits somewhere NOT on his own property.

They can also ride ATVs, again, on their own property and in designated public areas. Around my area, they also ride them on some public roads, which is not legal. However, depending on exactly what they are doing, it isn’t a big deal. Just driving the same as in a car, no problem. Speeding, taking turns recklessly, using the ATV to avoid being IDed while committing crimes, etc are a whole different thing. And I know that all three of these happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement