Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2018, 06:34 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
A lot of people in New Hampshire and Maine (and Vermont too, I would assume) heat primarily by pellet or wood stove. I'm not one of them, but it is more common than you might think.
Those are heat sources. I asked if anyone would choose cold if there were no possibility of a heat source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 06:46 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Those are heat sources. I asked if anyone would choose cold if there were no possibility of a heat source.
I don't see how that's possible to do. You can live without AC where it gets hot but not without heat where it gets cold. I don't see that happening.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Yes...I love this idea! I used to catch my dad on this one all the time. I always said I was going to live in Arizona, he preferred our home state climate of Minnesota, with it's frigid winters. He always said, those people in Arizona are living inside half the year sitting in their air conditioned homes....to which I replied, what about that "fire box" we have in the basement running overtime 6 or 7 months a year....shall we throw that out ????

If you took the Air conditioners out of the homes of all Phoenix residents, and took the furnaces out of all the people in the Midwest....I'll assure you of one thing, as uncomfortable as the people in phoenix would be, the Midwesterners wouldn't even be able to survive, and millions would literally die from hypothermia....while the Phoenix people would be sitting in the shade and sweating at most.

There is no equating these two extremes in terms of being able to survive without a furnace, vs an air conditioner.
Right. Fire has been around for a long time, but AC only became mainstream in my lifetime (in the US). Many would acclimate within a couple of weeks without AC, except for the sick and elderly. Few, if any, would survive cold without fire.

If AC didn't exist, we would still be building houses to compensate for the lack of a cooling system. The cracker boxes built in most places since AC are like ovens without it.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:55 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't see how that's possible to do. You can live without AC where it gets hot but not without heat where it gets cold. I don't see that happening.
To not have either is a worse case scenario that is possible. If AC isn’t available, than central heat, which more people have, wouldn’t be available either with a long term power grid/supply failure. Neither a hot or cold area would be ideal without AC or heat, only a year round temperate area would be.

Asking if people would move to an area if AC wasn’t available was a biased question.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I was just pointing out that people who prefer long periods of cold are reliant on a heat source, just as people who prefer long periods of heat may be reliant on a cooling source, although the latter could survive without the cooling source.

I prefer a little of both. Cold for about 2 months, heat for about 2 months ... and the rest of the year is rather pleasant.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:08 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I was just pointing out that people who prefer long periods of cold are reliant on a heat source, just as people who prefer long periods of heat may be reliant on a cooling source, although the latter could survive without the cooling source.

I prefer a little of both. Cold for about 2 months, heat for about 2 months ... and the rest of the year is rather pleasant.
Uh, you might want to reconsider that statement. Both camps can survive- we have hundreds of thousands of years of proof that this is the case...humans have lived a hell of lot longer than stoves have been around.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
To not have either is a worse case scenario that is possible. If AC isn’t available, than central heat, which more people have, wouldn’t be available either with a long term power grid/supply failure. Neither a hot or cold area would be ideal without AC or heat, only a year round temperate area would be.

Asking if people would move to an area if AC wasn’t available was a biased question.
I think the point being made is that heat in a cold winter area like the upper Midwest or New England is a necessity and one can not survive without it.
On the other hand, AC in a hot summer area like Phoenix, Florida, Mississippi is not a true necessity as people have lived there and survived for generations without it until very recently.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Uh, you might want to reconsider that statement. Both camps can survive- we have hundreds of thousands of years of proof that this is the case...humans have lived a hell of lot longer than stoves have been around.
People had fire for heat where ever it was cold for thousands of years.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Only because they had FIRE to warm up, which I already pointed out in another post.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:44 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Yes...I love this idea! I used to catch my dad on this one all the time. I always said I was going to live in Arizona, he preferred our home state climate of Minnesota, with it's frigid winters. He always said, those people in Arizona are living inside half the year sitting in their air conditioned homes....to which I replied, what about that "fire box" we have in the basement running overtime 6 or 7 months a year....shall we throw that out ????

If you took the Air conditioners out of the homes of all Phoenix residents, and took the furnaces out of all the people in the Midwest....I'll assure you of one thing, as uncomfortable as the people in phoenix would be, the Midwesterners wouldn't even be able to survive, and millions would literally die from hypothermia....while the Phoenix people would be sitting in the shade and sweating at most.

There is no equating these two extremes in terms of being able to survive without a furnace, vs an air conditioner.
The distinction is that the Phoenix people could sleep in the shade during the day and move around at night.

In the cold places, there would be no rest from the cold.

From winter camping, I learned that as long as I can get decent sleep, cold days are OK. But if I am so cold that I cannot sleep well, the daytime is shot.

Howwwwever...

Inuits might be able to provide tips on keeping warm at night, namely sleeping in an igloo with lots of people bundled communally (and naked, from I read) under fur pelts. And eating a diet consisting of blubber with some protein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement