Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 10:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times

Advertisements

Yes, my grandpa died of a heart attack while shoveling snow...best to pay someone else to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 11:00 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
Be careful to check out whether you can handle that so-called dry heat in the southwest...its brutal. And summers on the west coast are becoming more and more humid.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:36 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Lets say you have to pick one place to live the rest of your life.If the choice was between long hot summers or long cold winters, which one would you pick. For me, its easy, the long cold winter. I cannot physically take hot weather, especially if it starts in spring. The heat literally makes me ill and almost nonfunctional, even with good AC. What about you?

I've never lived in a house or driven a vehicle, that had air-conditioning. I thrive in hot weather, although I don't like having to put so much water on my plants and trees. The only thing good about winter, to my thinking, is the rainfall we need.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:02 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
Wow, I didn't think someone else feels as I do! With the current high temps, I feel like doing NOTHING. I've always gotten sick from the heat, even as a child. Anything 70 degrees or above really bothers me. Sometimes in winter I even open the bedroom window a bit. The cold makes me invigorated and alive. Am looking to move hopefully to Maine since it is really an issue with me.
Me three. I can't get any energy. The heat is zapping me. But not since I was a child. I used to love summer and everything that went with it. Swimming and boating. I went for shade breaks on boats/beaches more often than my friends, but I could stay out there quite long, with only concern of getting burned, which sunscreen takes care of.

Now the sun is an evil ball of fire to me in the summer. Not positive if I would trade for a truly long hard winter. It's hard to know never having experienced one. I only know that on day 3 of an ice storm I am mad about feeling trapped. Otherwise, as long as icy wind isn't in my face, it's ok. A bit of a hassle to have to gear up to go outside, but at least there IS gear for it.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:15 AM

382 posts, read 397,318 times
Another vote for cold and is why we are building our retirement home in central NH.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:56 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Hot for me. Our bodies have a natural air conditioner (sweat), our bodies don't have a natural heater, we have to resort to using animal/synthetic blends.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:01 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,582,697 times
Hot. Warm temps and sunshine put me in my happy place. Cold or hot, I feel bad for anyone that has to live where they are miserable. Paradise is where you are most happy.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:18 AM

30,137 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Lets say you have to pick one place to live the rest of your life.If the choice was between long hot summers or long cold winters, which one would you pick. For me, its easy, the long cold winter. I cannot physically take hot weather, especially if it starts in spring. The heat literally makes me ill and almost nonfunctional, even with good AC. What about you?

Its like asking would you prefer to have a toe or finger cut off? How about neither one!

Why would one only have those options? Neither would work for me. Why not choose a moderate year round climate like the southwest or the pacific coast or do the snowbird / winter texan thing?

If money is an issue it can be done quite affordably.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:22 PM

7,427 posts, read 4,671,611 times
Where it's cold, it usually snows and where there is snow, there is snow slips and falls. Bad for ageing hips and bones.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:43 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Wow, can't believe this has gone on for 19 pages. Everyone has their own opinion, and nobody's going to change someone else's mind, so I'm not sure what the point is. (But I vote for hot. :-) )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement