Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:13 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times

Advertisements

Cold definitely. Summer is my least favorite season. It is currently 67 degrees at 10:09 on our mountain. I think we now have the best of both worlds with a real four season environment.

Isn’t it great that people prefer different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:19 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Imho, age affects this problem. 10 YEARS ago I could make it through a hot Texas summer. The five years ago, I Had to get a dip in a pool a couple times a week to make. Now I can barely stand heat over 90 without getting light headed and having to sit down. I have orthostatic hypotension, so that must make things worse in the heat. For now, we can be snowbirds, but someday we'll be stuck in one place.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:28 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm glad that my ancestors were more adventurous.
Our ancestors didn't do their relocating much as retiree's with thin wallets.

Quote:
Otherwise...
Otherwise the question would be about snow-birding.
---

To revise and extend...
if you can't afford two places or a seasonal rental or the snowbird travel
then I say to stick close to who and what and WHERE you already KNOW.
Family. Friends. Landmarks. Roads. Doctors. Churches. All of it.

Pay an extra $100 for more AC with a hot summer (or heat with a cold winter).

Old 07-24-2018, 08:29 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Lets say you have to pick one place to live the rest of your life.If the choice was between long hot summers or long cold winters, which one would you pick. For me, its easy, the long cold winter. I cannot physically take hot weather, especially if it starts in spring. The heat literally makes me ill and almost nonfunctional, even with good AC. What about you?
Long hot summers.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

I don't get these people that say you have to sit in front of the AC all day. I never had to do that.

Same here. No need to sit, there are plenty of air conditioned museums, theaters, libraries, antique malls, stores, etc. that are very pleasant to go to. More often than not I go to our rec center on a really hot day. In addition to a gym and a pool they have all sorts of things to do (senior center, craft making classes, etc.). Lots of my friends head over there, so it becomes a social thing.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Hot. I lived most of my life with cold, snowy winters.

Even though the current heat is hard for me to take, I still prefer it to the other extreme. We do not have AC and probably will not get it. I really should do my outdoor activities in the early morning instead of later. However, I love water sports, too—problem this year is that the drought is making reservoirs unappealing.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Do you have the ability to make one last change?

No. Don't have the money or I would today.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:02 AM

497 posts, read 571,206 times
I have lived in Colorado three times and I have lived in Texas/Alabama/Florida. I can handle the cold but not the ice and snow. I will live with the Texas HOT.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:12 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times
Quote:
Lets say you have to pick one place to live the rest of your life.If the choice was between long hot summers or long cold winters, which one would you pick. For me, its easy, the long cold winter. I cannot physically take hot weather, especially if it starts in spring. The heat literally makes me ill and almost nonfunctional, even with good AC. What about you?
Wow, I didn't think someone else feels as I do! With the current high temps, I feel like doing NOTHING. I've always gotten sick from the heat, even as a child. Anything 70 degrees or above really bothers me. Sometimes in winter I even open the bedroom window a bit. The cold makes me invigorated and alive. Am looking to move hopefully to Maine since it is really an issue with me.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:52 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
Quote:
Imho, age affects this problem. 10 YEARS ago I could make it through a hot Texas summer. The five years ago, I Had to get a dip in a pool a couple times a week to make. Now I can barely stand heat over 90 without getting light headed and having to sit down. I have orthostatic hypotension, so that must make things worse in the heat. For now, we can be snowbirds, but someday we'll be stuck in one place.
I"m kind of the same way. Loved heat and the beach from my teens until about age 60....then it all changed. Nearly passed out at the pool last summer. I just can't do heat any more for some reason. Maybe you sweat less as you get older or something! Anyway, for me now I want cold! As others have said, you can bundle up! Lately it's been hitting around 90 here and I have to wait until about 8:30 when it cools off a bit to go outside and water the plants and get some fresh air. All day it's sit in the air conditioned house! I can't imagine living like this for 6 or 8 months. No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement