Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 07:17 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
augiedogie wonders:
"Lets say you have to pick one place to live the rest of your life.If the choice was between long hot summers or long cold winters, which one would you pick. "

You can have it all. I have seen most of it, including Antarctica, the jungles of Vietnam, Florida and Maine. Maine is the only place where you can have it all; four real seasons. Just move to Maine. If your body is above room temperature, you can find a job in our 2.8% unemployment economy. Great hunting, fishing, camping, sailing and snowmobiling in all four seasons.
We already have enough of us old farts in Maine. Don't advertise how wonderful it is or more will move here. I retired in May 2014 and my wife retired in July of the same year. We had spent our last 21 years in Austin, Texas. Two weeks after my wife retired, we were in the car heading to Maine. We left behind Scorpions, tarantulas, fire ants, brown recluse spiders (all of which we found in our house at one time or another). Not to mention being unable to look for golf balls in deep rough because of the rattlesnakes. Or the 100 days a year of triple digit temperatures. We hated hot weather more every year. Our only complaint - Maine is so far east in our time zone that it gets dark very early. There's been some talk of switching to the Atlantic Time Zone and that would resolve that issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 07:43 AM

141 posts, read 208,932 times
Although a few years until retirement, my husband and I are beginning to have this exact conversation.

Both of us don't mind the cold weather for the most part. We both dislike hot humid climates. Florida is out for sure - we've both lived there in our younger days before we met, and, both hated it.

We're considering somewhere in New England, coastal if possible as we do enjoy being on a beach now and then. Maybe a permanent home way northeast and just rent for a month or two during winter, if affordable. Overall we'd prefer to be cold over hot. Our recent vacation a couple of weeks ago to the Caribbean confirmed this for us. Beautiful weather but just too hot overall.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:15 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivyaleah View Post
Although a few years until retirement, my husband and I are beginning to have this exact conversation.

Both of us don't mind the cold weather for the most part. We both dislike hot humid climates. Florida is out for sure - we've both lived there in our younger days before we met, and, both hated it.

We're considering somewhere in New England, coastal if possible as we do enjoy being on a beach now and then. Maybe a permanent home way northeast and just rent for a month or two during winter, if affordable. Overall we'd prefer to be cold over hot. Our recent vacation a couple of weeks ago to the Caribbean confirmed this for us. Beautiful weather but just too hot overall.
Coastal NE does get hot and humid, even in Maine. But unlike the south, it only happens in summer, and not every day.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:18 AM

141 posts, read 208,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Coastal NE does get hot and humid, even in Maine. But unlike the south, it only happens in summer, and not every day.
I'd expect that, I live in NJ and it certainly does here also. At least though, those really unbearable humid days don't last weeks at a time. Now and then is ok, we can cope but all summer? All year? Not so much!

Old 07-25-2018, 08:18 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
I gave Maine serious thought but realized in the end that I could no longer deal with the cold. Maybe some day I will visit. I would love to have some ocean fish. Real clam chowder, etc.
And when I did explore it via the internet, it looked so beautiful.

There is the early dark nights though. I had enough of that in Minnesota.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:30 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Thank goodness there are still places with more choice then simply hot or cold. This sounds like the goldilocks conumdrum.
Too hot...too cold.!

I'll take lightly breezy evenings...drizzles on a warm day...and some sunshine to warm the earth. Sorry but there is a happy medium for folks to reside .

I no more want to bake and dehydrate anymore then being frozen....which are basically the reality in some regions.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:40 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Lets say you have to pick one place to live the rest of your life.If the choice was between long hot summers or long cold winters, which one would you pick. For me, its easy, the long cold winter. I cannot physically take hot weather, especially if it starts in spring. The heat literally makes me ill and almost nonfunctional, even with good AC. What about you?

Long hot summers. I am pretty sure I wouldn't like extended periods of 104F temps though 80-85F would be just great. Winter where I live can be as cold as -4F for a few days at a time but usually around 14F. Summers average 72F w/ nice periods of 80-90 F.
The sun shines 330 days of the year. Pretty much perfect except for snow.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:14 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand when it's cold, you can bundle up with more clothes where if it's hot and humid, you can be stark naked and still feel hot. Plus getting too hot makes me feel physically sick, probably because I had heat exhaustion twice when I lived in NC.

On the other hand I can usually cool off quicker than I can warm up once I get a chill. Ideally I would love to live some place that never got above 85, had low humidity and never got below 40 degrees. Either that or become a snowbird.

This time of year here in Florida I rarely do anything outside other than walk to the car, the mailbox and take the dog for one walk at dusk (she has a fenced yard).

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 07-25-2018 at 02:45 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
can't answer. When it gets too warm I complain. When it gets too cold I complain.

I think that's most of us. I remember walking my dog in January when it was 40 degrees (that's cold for Florida) and saying to myself "I will never complain about the heat ever again". P.S. - I've been kvetching about the heat for the last month and I'm counting down the days till October.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Grew up in coastal southern CA and hated the lack of definite seasons. Always felt like time was passing for the rest of the world but we were forgotten, stalled, stagnant. The scenery (trees, foliage, vistas, etc) didn't seem to change much at all during the year. I remember feeling bored and depressed at Christmas every year when the weather was the same blah upper 60s with hazy sun just like all the rest of the days. It just got hotter in summer.

Yeah, I get that. Living in Florida it's the same old view every day. It's worse at Christmas when you have the a/c on while you're decorating the tree. There are some things I do like about living in a warm climate like not having the twice yearly changing of the wardrobe, packing up the winter clothes and bringing out the summer clothes & vice versa. I also like not having to wear flannel nightgowns & warm robes, socks, etc. in my own home. I never have to worry about my pipes freezing or hitting a patch of ice while driving.

But heat can be a killer. Remember a few years back when Chicago had that heat wave and 739 people died? I think it is easier to stay warm than it is to stay cool especially if the power goes out. When the "storm of the century" hit us in NC our power was out for a day or two. It was below 32 degrees. We put our food outside on the deck, turned on the gas fireplace in the den and we all slept in there.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 07-25-2018 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement