Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 07:23 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times

Advertisements

Do I feel pressured?

No.

I was medically early retired at the age of 40. Comfy but not lavish.

I've gone back to work part time for a variety of reasons, and can do so.

I never felt pressured when I worked or when I was retired, and certainly dont now .

I do my thing they do theirs. If the two shoukd meet in the middle, then we make arrangements. We have close friends who is a lawyer. We are not lawyers. We don't have his income. We both enjoy going to the opera, for example.

So we go as a foursome, they pay the higher ticket prices, we pay for dinner for 4 before or after the opera, which is usually the cheaper of the two as we all like the buffet center, and it's only $10/person.

We each get the others company, enjoy something together, and have a great time. No one feels pressured. They know we don't have the income they do so they don't expect us to pay equally.

In other cases, we travel with other friends. We drive our vehicle and pay the gas. They pay the hotel room. Each pays own admission, eats and souvenirs.

If we had friends who didn't respect our potential or actual differences, we would not be friends.
Good friends realize every thing can't always be split equally, and make amicable arrangements to fit each other's budgets.

Simple as that.

No keeping up with the joneses here. If we can't afford and or don't want to, we simply dont.

And yet still, a good time was had by all.
That's the important thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 07:23 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Do you care enough about people to care what they think about you. That's the question.

Hmm, an interesting question. I think you can care a lot about people, but at the same time not really care what they think about you (at least, when it comes to this sort of thing). But maybe that's easier said than done?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Hmm, an interesting question. I think you can care a lot about people, but at the same time not really care what they think about you (at least, when it comes to this sort of thing). But maybe that's easier said than done?
If your friends don't share your values, why are they friends?

Old 07-25-2018, 12:51 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If your friends don't share your values, why are they friends?

Because there are a lot of great things to base friendships on; and having the same spending habits doesn't strike me as the same thing as having the same values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement