Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 01:34 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
You're hurting yourself if you take the approach that retirement is just the same as quitting a job.
It depends on your job. If you have no health benefits that will continue after you're retired, and not anything else then it's basically the same as quitting your job. I know that's the case where I work. You're basically giving a normal notice as if you're quitting. There's nothing special about it. There are no benefits that continue after you are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 03:06 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
It’s not over til you clear the parking lot -there is an ocean between your scheduled last day and today
-A common shark that infests these waters is the -“we just discovered you are incompetent -you are fired -here is a check for your vested paid in”-
Be careful-
Btw -announcing your retirement way in advance -allowed management the time to document and launch this cost savings game
Sure this can happen, but unless you are total noob, you should know your work environment and politics. I was a middle manager reporting to a Director and gave a one year notice to make the transition easy. Now I had 20+ years of service with an international company so I certainly knew the players and politics personally except for the very top brass. Luckily our company ethos valued people and their contributions as being essential to profits so I knew I wasn't in danger.

The employee manual issued a few years prior to my retirement actually required a minimum 90 day notice for retirement at the risk of loss of certain benefits. Not every company is lead with ruthless sharks, but YMMV. As with anything in this world, you gotta be aware if you don't want nasty surprises.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:10 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Your first day of retirement is day after you walk out of your office for the last time. LOL.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:29 PM

365 posts, read 214,082 times
MIR - well done. I'm right at 3 year younger than you. I understand being tired.

I am planning on retiring end of Dec 2019. So just a couple weeks behind you.

I admit, it is hard to not think about it alot of the time.

Hoping the last year goes by fast as we are so ready to head to Texas. Hoping to never get another stamp in our passports again once we retire.

Old 07-29-2018, 02:16 AM

144 posts, read 103,078 times
Congratulations! I'm down to 53 days to go! (Just got a count-down app for my phone). I think if I had gotten the app earlier it would have been tough to watch.

I agree with one of the posters who said time will fly by and drag at the same time. I thought each day would never end, but looking back, the last year went pretty fast.

Tired? Yeah. 32 years in one profession is enough, even if you love your career. My 2 cents.

Best of luck, and I hope you're more on the "fly by" side than the "drag on" side.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:05 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,223 times
Congrats! Enjoy the retirement you earned.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:55 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
I have a countdown app on my phone. 132 days it shows right now. However, once it gets closer, hubby will count his vacation days so it will likely be sooner. Neither of us has let any one know that may tip off any bosses or customers. We will need to let his HR know eventually, he has a pension and a 401k so we'll need to know how that works. Plus he'll need to sign up for social Security, he'll be 62 1/2. All I know is I'm not spending another Christmas season at work. We have a new grandson, and I am NOT missing his first Christmas Eve because I have to work!!

Old 08-03-2018, 04:46 PM

221 posts, read 192,799 times
High fives in selecting such an important life changing date. There will be an extra hop in your step before you waltz away after that final workday.

Sudden and without notice resignation was successful for my situation. Difficult thing in this 13 month plan was telling no one at the workplace nor anyone slightly connected to someone who also worked there. Calling in 'retired' from my state job
had no detrimental consequences. This was following a two week vacation to where I relocated, two time zones away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement