Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:14 AM

16 posts, read 18,618 times

Advertisements

Now that I am turning 62 next month people call me old woman. So with that in mind, I have decided to retire and collect Social Security and retire this fall.

People told me that the best way to apply for Social Security is to go on the Internet and apply online. I researched the process and saw a step by step guide on Youtube. I gathered all the information I would need and put it in a file. I was prepared!

I applied while I was home alone so there would be no distractions. I carefully checked and rechecked my answers before I clicked next. Once the summary page came up I checked and rechecked my answers to their questions to see that I did not make any mistakes.

Finally, when I was satisfied, I finished the online application and formally submitted my request for Social Security. SUCCESS!

That night I woke up in a cold sweat and in panic, I had a wild dream about the online application for Social Security. I went down and looked at the summary sheet with my answers one more time. I found I had made two serious mistakes when I filled out the form.

I tried to log on again the next day to change my answers but got an error message. I called Social Security and tried to talk to a human being about changing my answers. I sat on hold for two hours and no one came on the line. There seemed to be no way to change the online application that I submitted the day before with mistakes--- unless I made the long drive and went to an actual Social Security Office. What a nightmare!

Did you make a mistake when you filled out the Social Security application online and just realized the mistake after the online application was submitted? If so, what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 04:47 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Could you elaborate on the 2 mistakes you made?

Old 08-02-2018, 05:10 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,641,305 times
I made a mistake on direct deposit. I called SS when my first check wasn't in my account. They told me to go to the bank and explain what I did. The next day my check was deposited. The bank straightened it out on their own so I never had to go explain anything.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:09 AM

16 posts, read 18,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Could you elaborate on the 2 mistakes you made?
I gave them the wrong date (month) to start my retirement. They had a choice of November or December.

I made a mistake on my spouses Birthday and Social Security Number.

Yes, I messed up, but my question and concern are why isn't there an easy way to change things on the online form 24 hours after the fact.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:13 AM

6,623 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Woman View Post
I gave them the wrong date (month) to start my retirement. They had a choice of November or December.

I made a mistake on my spouses Birthday and Social Security Number.

Yes, I messed up, but my question and concern are why isn't there an easy way to change things on the online form 24 hours after the fact.
Assuming the process is automated your application was probably processed as soon as you submitted it.

It might be that when their are errors it goes to a person to review and get back to you.

If you are not filing on your spouses account your errors might not affect your processing.

I would write them a letter with the corrections. You will get a letter from them if they reject your application but this could take awhile so I would write now.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:34 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Try not to worry.

Is there a local organization that can help you since you said the SS office was too far away. How far is far?

Old 08-02-2018, 07:51 AM

5,573 posts, read 6,498,880 times
It is in the system now. You will definitely be contacted, by phone or USPS mail, if the errors will affect your amount or start date.

It will take a few months to become approved, so if you have time in the meantime to go there to ease your mind, I'd make the trip. It isn't as bad as many make it out to believe. I had to go in person several times for unusual personal reasons. Don't let this scare you. Arrive as early as you can before opening. Take a book or magazine, then go have breakfast or lunch afterwards to celebrate the relief you will have getting this off of your shoulders.

Enjoy your retirement!

Old 08-02-2018, 08:05 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Woman View Post
Did you make a mistake when you filled out the Social Security application online and just realized the mistake after the online application was submitted? If so, what did you do?
My wife applied online one night in May, and then she realized the next morning that she had made a minor error in reporting her last day of work, so she placed a phone call to SSA and left her number for a callback. (Much better than waiting on hold for an hour or two as you found out.) That call came less than 10 minutes later and the SSA employee spent a few minutes providing additional info and answering a couple of follow-up questions my wife had. And that's all there was too it. My wife subsequently received a letter in the mail confirming all the details and advising her when she would receive her first SS check.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:21 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,477 times
When your application is reviewed by a human, you will very likely get a call asking for clarification on the items with errors. You will be able to correct them at that time.

It looks like you might have been calling SS toward the end of the month, which is likely a busy time for them, so if you still want to try to contact them about this instead of waiting to hear from them, you will probably have better luck by waiting a few days and trying again.

This is not the first time someone has made errors on an application, so the SS folks undoubtedly have procedures in place to deal with the problem and move the application along. It will get sorted out.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:35 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Relax. Someone will call you and ask you questions to verify your information, and to make sure you are squared away.

Both my husband and I applied online, and we each got a phone call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement