Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 03:55 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times

Advertisements

SSDI after you jump through hoops and wait up to two years, is very close to your FRA amount and when you reach FRA they simply change you from SSDI to Retirement benefit.
So the amount you would get would be based on your particular situation. Also after all that waiting to be approved if you are approved you get the back payments from the time you filed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 09:00 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
SSDI after you jump through hoops and wait up to two years, is very close to your FRA amount and when you reach FRA they simply change you from SSDI to Retirement benefit.
So the amount you would get would be based on your particular situation. Also after all that waiting to be approved if you are approved you get the back payments from the time you filed.
Thanks. That is what I thought. The person is approaching 62 so I assume they would not even be eligible for SSDI once they turn it. Going to have to let them know. Thanks, Jay

Old 08-04-2018, 09:10 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
It depends on how many years you’ve worked and your income in those years. If you’re disabled when you’re somewhat younger and don’t have anything like 35 years in the system, your SSDI check can be a heck of a lot bigger than your FRA Social Security check. If you’re disabled at 60, yeah, the checks are likely similar.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:12 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Thanks. That is what I thought. The person is approaching 62 so I assume they would not even be eligible for SSDI once they turn it. Going to have to let them know. Thanks, Jay
You can collect SSDI up to your full retirement age. You then convert to regular Social Security.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:07 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
Good afternoon,

Thank you all so much. I think that I need to let my spouse's group health know that I will be turning 65 in September 2018. Then, I need to get my butt to the SS office nearest me to sign up for Medicare Part A and maybe Medicare Part B.

@BOBNCHI,
Thank you for the info on the book "Get What's Yours: The Secrets to Maxing Out Your Social Security". Much appreciated.

Best,

Reddog53
If you are going in person, make an appointment.

Also, depending where you live, the nearest office may not be the best.

I have been to 3 different offices in the last couple of years with other people who needed info. One in a small town, one in a suburban area of a larger town and one in a downtown of a very large city. All three offices within 30-40 minutes of each other.

Far and away the small town office was the best as far as wait time, courtesy, professionalism, patience with questions/explanations and also the experience level of the employees.

At all three offices, it seemed they put the more experienced employees on appointments rather than dealing with walk-ins.

So, if you have a small town office near you that's a little bit further drive it may be worth it.

Make a list of all your questions before you go. They will be able to run numbers for you and printout what you will receive under whatever scenarios you want them to project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement