Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 12:32 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

In our vehicles the chimes stops after few, but I don't. I tell people that the car won't come out of park if the belts aren't on. Sometimes people will argue until they realize we simply are not going to move unless they have them on. I had one woman tuck it under her butt instead like I'd either accept that or miss it. I turned off the engine. Everyone asked me what was wrong and I looked at her in the rear view mirror. Just stared at her until she put it on.

I then announced to everyone in the car what she did and told them that if they ever thought I was going to be responsible for someone dying when I was driving they were very wrong.

Someone asked me later if I thought others were going to continue to put up with my insistence. I told them that if they didn't like it they should find someone else tho haul them around. Some did. Some didn't.

Been wearing seat belts since 1973 when our first new car had them.

One of the reasons why is that a car rear ended another in front of our junior high/high school. The mother had been distracted and didn't even slow down. Her daughter, my classmate was propelled through the windshield just far enough to be almost completely decapitated. Not anything I ever want to see again.

And you know those "risers" they put on the handrails in schools (I assume they still do). That was done because a third grader at my school was riding the second floor rail, fell off and landed head first. Died instantly.

Why I seem to be around to see these things happen I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 08:28 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Back in the 80s I had the use of a company car and the company I worked for made us watch a video put out by the Ohio State Hwy Patrol. There was nothing graphic ion the video. Just a Patrolman talking about what he had seen, and how it would have turned out different, had the driver or passenger had been wearing a seatbelt. He was so descriptive and convincing I haven't been in a car since without wearing one.

Once you get used to wearing one, you feel uncomfortable without it being on.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:26 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
My dad's regular job was working for NCR but he also had a part time job working for a local photographer; he was on call nights and weekends to go to the scene of auto accidents and take pictures. He'd give the photographer's business card to the people involved, and to the police who responded to the scene, so that they'd know who to call if they needed on-scene photos for insurance claims, lawsuits, etc. The photographer's office had police and fire scanners and my dad also had one at home. He was one of three or four such employees who covered accidents through most of the county we lived in.

When I got my drivers license in the late 1960s my dad sat me down at the kitchen table and handed me a manila envelope with a bunch of glossy 8x10s in it -- photos taken at accident scenes. They were all black and white but trust me, they didn't need color to enhance the shock value. He said "This is what can happen if you drive carelessly, recklessly, or don't pay attention to everything around you every minute as you drive." There were photos of mangled cars and mangled people. One that I will never forget showed a broken section of a (wood) light pole sticking entirely through the windshield and the driver. The photos were more graphic than anything that would ever be shown in a video.

The odd thing was that I don't recall him making a big deal out of wearing a seat belt. Possibly because he never wore one himself. He was a big guy (i.e., large gut) and so I guess his rationalization was that it would be too uncomfortable. But you would think that, seeing what he saw on a regular basis at accident scenes, he'd have been more insistent about other people wearing them.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:08 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
I pray that my 2010 CRV will last me a while longer. Not quite 100k yet. It has CD player but no bluetooth.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:01 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I pray that my 2010 CRV will last me a while longer. Not quite 100k yet. It has CD player but no bluetooth.
We actually miss having bluetooth in our 2005 Mazda. It would come in handy for the stretches that have either no radio signal or radio not worth listening to.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:54 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
I bought a new car last weekend!! My DH inherits my 16 y.o. dinosaur, and we sold his 22 y.o. dinosaur for part of our down payment on the new one. I feel like I'm driving the space shuttle with all these new gadgets!

Old 09-08-2018, 08:19 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post

That said.... I confess I never used the seat belt until 2006 .
That's nuts. I thought you were going to tell us that the car you drove before 2006 was a real old one without seat belts.

I'm fine with a 30 yr old dinosaur, and due to my fortunate situation of driving less than 3K miles per year it will probably outlive me.

For those with older vehicles without bluetooth, it's easy to replace current stereo with one of these units. I did this on my daughter's 20 yrs old car but haven't done it on mine.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:16 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Back in the 80s I had the use of a company car and the company I worked for made us watch a video put out by the Ohio State Hwy Patrol. There was nothing graphic ion the video. Just a Patrolman talking about what he had seen, and how it would have turned out different, had the driver or passenger had been wearing a seatbelt. He was so descriptive and convincing I haven't been in a car since without wearing one.

Once you get used to wearing one, you feel uncomfortable without it being on.
My husband was a volunteer auxiliary trooper with the Florida Highway Patrol for many years. He often told of the accidents he saw where deaths occured that could have turned out differently had the victim (s) been wearing a seatbelt. I've also been a witness to an accident where the driver not wearing his seatbelt was ejected and hit his head on the running board of his truck. His head resembled a smashed pumpkin.

Made a believer out of me.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:22 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I bought a new car last weekend!! My DH inherits my 16 y.o. dinosaur, and we sold his 22 y.o. dinosaur for part of our down payment on the new one. I feel like I'm driving the space shuttle with all these new gadgets!

Congratulations!

We had bought a 2017 Honda Civic last year (an LX, so not ALL the buzzers and whistles) and we love, love love that car.

So we were looking to replace our 2007 Honda Civic with 200,000+ miles on it (still drove great but needed some body and other work that was getting pricey), so the other day we bought a 2018 Honda Civic LX that's exactly like the 2017, except for the color.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
My husband was a volunteer auxiliary trooper with the Florida Highway Patrol for many years. He often told of the accidents he saw where deaths occured that could have turned out differently had the victim (s) been wearing a seatbelt. I've also been a witness to an accident where the driver not wearing his seatbelt was ejected and hit his head on the running board of his truck. His head resembled a smashed pumpkin.

Made a believer out of me.
Every year in Iowa (and likely other states) we have mostly teens dying in rollovers on country roads. The driver loses control on gravel and the car rolls into the ditch. someone gets ejected and dies or are seriously injured. If people won't listen then it's the Darwin Award for them. These are not one off incidents. Happens more often than it should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement