Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 07:20 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,887 times

Advertisements

I want a smooth, soft ride. Luxurious amenities etc. I think it would be nice to load and unload groceries, more room for our pooch. It would come in handy on a trip. Does anyone drive a minivan they want to talk about? I will be looking at older models, not new. So, let me here it, pros and cons. I started out thinking we should get an SUV then my wife mentioned a minivan and I just think it might be a great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 07:41 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
I drive a 12year old 06 kia sedona minivan.
It has,the typical basics: air, cruise, power win, lock, steer, brake, auto tyranny, and cloth seats, CD player radio.

It is my 4th minivan.

With a dog, you might want leather.
, easier to clean.

I live in NY, heart of winter salted roads, and at the 10 year mark, stuff started wear ing out, rusting out, but replaceable. Things DO wear out with age, and on these roads, rusting oil pans are common, for example. So it has,cost a few pennies lately, but I still plan to keep another 5 years or until it totally gives out, which ever cones first.

It only has 105k on it, as I don't drive to far.

I bought it used in2010 with 52k on it .

It's been a good vehicle. If I plan to keep it another 5 years, it'd appear I'm satisfied.

If I were to replace it, if either get the new Chrysler Pacifica minivan or the Honda Odyssey.

Happy hunting.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I will chime in on leather or seat covers with fake leather to help with dog hair issues. I have a short hair dog and those hairs will imbed into any type of carpet or fabric that isn't smooth like leather or fake leather.

I have a small pickup that I love, but my next vehicle will be a mini-van. It would have all I have now, plus the ability to sleep in it, if I travel or want to go glamping.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:46 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Gosh when we had kids the idea of a minivan was: I don’t think so. As I guy who knows vehicles I suggest you look at smaller SUVs. Better handling and image.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:13 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
My best friend drives one. She had 4 grandchildren in less than 4 years and the 3 seats came in so handy. The kids are bigger now but still comes in very handy at the times all four kids are with her. She loves it.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:19 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
'Hankering' and 'mini-van' in the same sentence?

Old 08-07-2018, 06:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
My daughter just bought a 2018 Pacifica Limited minivan
We rode in it last night--very comfortable
Has the stow-go seats that fold into the floor and the third row bench has more room than the third row in our new Traverse or former Tahoe
In our Traverse only the passenger side second seat folds forward to allow access into 3rd row
A safety feature so kids emerge on the sidewalk side I think but does make it difficult if families have/need more than one car seat

Our daughter's has the triple moon roof feature--so the rear seating also get the skylight effect
She didn't get the full entertainment package--
They considered it but it is an expensive option and they decided it was just as good to use a tablet loaded w/movies for their son on longer trips
They don't let him use electronics much--only has a Leap pad himself, no video game equipment and uses her Nook for movies on trips

They have a large dog and two cats--
When they had to leave their home last fall because of FL hurricane and go to friends' in local area, they had trouble packing all they needed to take for few days into her older Mazda CX-5
And they even when first married would have been happy to buy minivan for the comfort traveling w/friends to Buffett concerts...

She drove all the minivans and liked the Pacifica the best--wanted the stow-go option as much as anything--and she has been keeping the seat behind hers folded down--
That way she can store groceries, small packages, her school stuff back there and not have to go to the far-back unless she has big items or really lot of shopping...
And their dog sits there when he goes to the kennel or vet--

Seats move up/down easily and she has the electronic stow option for 3rd row

Old 08-07-2018, 07:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Two suggestions
My husband would never buy a Ford so he was not willing to check out the Flex
It gets good reviews and has some loyal followers
You might look at it if you are searching for more space and good ride

We also drove Tahoes for long time--my husband tried an Enclave but the seat was not as comfortable for driving long distances--like 10 hrs a day driving
We got Traverse this time--better gas mileage, not as top heavy, easier to get in/out because lower and you still have pretty decent forward view
Biggest cargo area in SUVs--more than our Tahoe
Not as much as our daughter's Pacifica

Old 08-07-2018, 07:01 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Since we retired we've become active with a seniors group that takes day trips to go hiking, cycling and kayaking. We carpool to the sites, and everyone wants to drive with the couple who own the minivan. Sports cars are great, but not on dirt roads. And not when you want to be in the fun car with lots of people.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:07 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I have a Dodge Caravan left over from my snowbirding days (carrying stuff back and forth). Now it is TOO big. I am not comfortable backing up and parking. I do like sitting up higher when driving. I see people going by in cars and all you can see in the side window is their head.

I will keep driving it until something major needs fixing. Then I'll go for a hybrid.

Quote:
As I guy who knows vehicles I suggest you look at smaller SUVs. Better handling and image.
Really? Aren't we beyond that at our stage of life?

The only conclusions I draw about people based on what they drive, is "Sexy sports car" = "old fart driving." (and I mean that in the nicest sense of the word, lol.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement