Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 09:17 AM

122 posts, read 98,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Actually the key words are pension and healthcare!

Healtchare is the biggie!! Everyone I talk to said if it wasn’t for the lack of affordable healthcare they would have been done a lot sooner.
That's my situation. I could retire at 55 were it not for the health insurance. I will be retiring at 58 when I qualify for retiree health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 11:28 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
[quote=GeoffD;52744045]The other words are "unemployment" and "health event". Most people don't get to pick when they stop working, unless working means going from career job to low wage job.

That was it for us. We didn't choose to stop our physical but lucrative jobs---they stopped us. Then the dreaded health event(s). All part of life in the upper 50s.

So our solution was moving far, far away where those things are way different. You do what you gotta do.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:38 AM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Can anyone recommend a good website that might provide advise on how to calculate your 'actual' income in retirement and your actual expenses?

I was recently told to use all gross numbers to estimate my income (and then deduct taxes) and it was suggested I use ONE credit card for one month to pay for every single thing I purchase, or pay, to get a good handle on what I spend and how that's going to relate to what I take in for retirement $$. I have to ballpark health insurance costs, which I don't have yet with another program that I will move to at the end of the year.
I'd like to retire next year. I'll be 63.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:02 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,214 times
Fidelity Retirement Income Planner (RIP) is very thorough and free. You do not have to be Fidelity customer to use it.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:43 AM

289 posts, read 1,138,645 times
I planned on never working very hard and retiring early. So I've always been very frugal. I'm not sure if I'm formally retired. I quit my job a few years back at 51 (new boss from hell) and am not sure I'll ever have another normal job. But I stay busy. Took a little contracting work and sell on eBay. I expect to sell some paintings at some point. My husband quit at 54 and he's very glad he did - especially since he had 6 months of unexpected serious health issues (thankfully over now).

ACA has been good to us. Since we "retired," our income has been low. With a low income, the subsidies are very high. We are currently paying $7 per month for a great plan. The trick is to make sure you make exactly the right income to max the subsidy. Since that income needs to be pretty low, we planned ahead and didn't put as much in a 401k, so we'd make sure not to need to take too much out in a year to live on. Actually, the hard part for us is to show enough income, but I think we can manage it. I guess we could do expanded medicaid - I'm just not sure how good that is - would be interested if any of you are on it. Our fall back plans in worst case are VA for him (we're just in a low-rated city for it but he has a high level so he gets 100% coverage) and very worst case, moving to England and use national health care until we're both 65.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:31 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
I'm fortunate, retired at 55 with no financial concerns.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:13 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i used a silver plan from 61 to 65 . it was a ridiculous price with horrible deductibles .
Wait. So you didn't save $2500 a year as advertised?

Old 08-12-2018, 08:42 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i used a silver plan from 61 to 65 . it was a ridiculous price with horrible deductibles .

I originally read this as "i used a silver pan from 61 to 65". As in, you were panning for silver to make money until you reached 65. Needless to say, my first thought was .

Old 08-12-2018, 11:14 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
For people who are planning to retire early there is something that many of us forget, including me. DH retired at 53, I can take my job where ever I go (semi-retired). We planned well so we could retire young enough to still be able to do things... We had just begun living out my lifelong dream of early retirement and travel and then it came crashing down. We forgot one thing, we are the sandwich generation, for some people it's kids who are getting a rough start and then there is having to take care of elderly parents who many times insist on staying home regardless of how it effects their children. Even though our parents get SS and pensions, after medical expenses and home care help they still come up short financially and for many, because the income limits are extremely low they won't qualify for the safety net.

Don't get me wrong, I thank God mom is still with us but being a member of the sandwich generation can really put a squelch on your plans. Make sure your parents have everything in place. Talking to other people who are in the same boat I found that many of the older generation didn't make the necessary arrangements or save enough money and have high expectations of their children who by the way many have 2 sets of elderly parents.

After 3 years of helping mom stay home she one day she said, you kids have done enough, I want to go to a nursing home because you can't do it anymore but talking to other people in the same boat, their parents don't seem to consider what it does to their kids. My gf's parents make plans without consulting the kids, they just take for granted that their kids are at their beck and call. I remember one women and her mother in the Dr office adding to a long list of a "do list" when the daughter looked angry and said, mom, we have a life you know. Society has forgotten the elderly so it falls on the kids who are already up to their ears with responsibility.

We love our parents dearly but you have to talk to your parents and keep them in mind as your planning.

Last edited by petch751; 08-12-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-12-2018, 12:05 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashina View Post
I planned on never working very hard and retiring early. So I've always been very frugal. I'm not sure if I'm formally retired. I quit my job a few years back at 51 (new boss from hell) and am not sure I'll ever have another normal job. But I stay busy. Took a little contracting work and sell on eBay. I expect to sell some paintings at some point. My husband quit at 54 and he's very glad he did - especially since he had 6 months of unexpected serious health issues (thankfully over now).

ACA has been good to us. Since we "retired," our income has been low. With a low income, the subsidies are very high. We are currently paying $7 per month for a great plan. The trick is to make sure you make exactly the right income to max the subsidy. Since that income needs to be pretty low, we planned ahead and didn't put as much in a 401k, so we'd make sure not to need to take too much out in a year to live on. Actually, the hard part for us is to show enough income, but I think we can manage it. I guess we could do expanded medicaid - I'm just not sure how good that is - would be interested if any of you are on it. Our fall back plans in worst case are VA for him (we're just in a low-rated city for it but he has a high level so he gets 100% coverage) and very worst case, moving to England and use national health care until we're both 65.
It is much better to have a high net worth and low adjusted gross income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement