Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:31 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,118 times

Advertisements

OK, retirees, a trip down memory lane.

Did you have a memorable 16th, 18th or 21st birthday?

For my 18th, in 1973, mom and dad bought me my very own television. A 19 inch black and white TV, a brand I had never heard of before, Sanyo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 12:17 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,045,801 times
For my 16th birthday (mid 1960s) my parents took me to my choice of restaurant for dinner. I chose The Forum of the Twelve Caesars in NY City (we lived about an hour's drive away.) The place was amazing. I still remember what I ordered: jumbo shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad (of course!), truffle-stuffed squab, and crepes Suzette for dessert. I bought a special cocktail-type dress for the occasion and still have a photo of me wearing it: knee length, long sleeves, scoop neck and made entirely of sparkly gold lame. My dad gave me a white cattleya orchid corsage which I wore in my hair (it was long then) instead of on the dress. My mom gave me a "Sweet 16" charm for my charm bracelet.

To be honest I don't recall what I did or got for my 18th birthday. I was out of high school and working fulltime by then. I'm sure we went out to dinner but I don't recall where.

When I was 21, I was probably dating somebody but I'm darned if I can remember who it was or if we did anything special. I come from a very small family and so birthdays and holidays were typically celebrated by the three of us going out to dinner. We weren't "birthday party" people and I still am not. Dinner out and gifts were how we celebrated things.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:25 PM

1,204 posts, read 933,812 times
I remember for my twelfth birthday being allowed to invite one of my friends out for lunch BY OURSELVES! That was so exciting and grown up. And at a friends suggestion, I threw a party when I turned 33 1/3, a third of a century. Everybody thought that was a great excuse for a party. The most memorable gift I ever got was for a nonbirthday event - it was a leather briefcase stamped with my initials my parents gave me for law school graduation. I used it my entire working life.

You all are invited to the two thirds of a century celebration in a few years.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:48 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,247 times
Can't remember my 16th or 18th birthdays, so nothing memorable here.

I do remember my 21st. We went to a pizza place, and I had my first beer, which was in a very, very tall glass.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:04 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,354 times
Don't remember my 16th birthday. But for my 14th birthday, my older brother drove me and my two best friends to a fast food place for dinner and a drive in movie. Had a wonderful time.

My parents bought me a piece of luggage and a set of retread tires for my high school graduation and 18th birthday. They obviously wanted me to leave home for college but travel safely.

For the 21st, I went with friends to a bar/nightclub legally for the first time - this was a big milestone as I loved to go out dancing. Probably got some small presents too but not much. This was definitely not my first taste of alcohol - started drinking in high school.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:15 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
Wish I could say I could remember Any of them. I guess 18 is the closest, I was kicked out of the house (week after HS graduation). Not as terrible as it looks at first glance, I was doing summer classes at college and staying in an on-campus apartment. I think I was homeless on my 21st, nope homeless on my 20th and probably working an overnight shift on my 21st.

Glad life picked up noticeably from there, but that was a rough 4~5 years.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
OK, retirees, a trip down memory lane.

Did you have a memorable 16th, 18th or 21st birthday?

For my 18th, in 1973, mom and dad bought me my very own television. A 19 inch black and white TV, a brand I had never heard of before, Sanyo!

First, it was what you had for dinner last night ...

Now we have to remember what we got for birthdays over 40 years ago ...

WOW.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:14 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
nothing, nothing, nothing.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:30 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Somewhere in that age range, maybe birthday but I think more likely Christmas, my Dad got me a (Belgian) Browning A-5 in 20 gauge. I remember unboxing it, how great it looked, taking it shooting the first few times. It still looks as new, still have it of course. It came to me with an IC plain barrel, at gun shows I found a modified and full choke barrel so now I have all 3 (they are interchangeable without gunsmithing). I don't have a "slug special" barrel, would like to have one, although with Lord knows how many rifles, why I would hunt deer with a 20 gauge slug escapes me. To get to areas of "slug only" deer hunting I would have to drive across far better hunting areas, where I can use rifles. Would like to have a slug barrel, just to have it I guess.

Best gift I ever got.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:32 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times
I don't really remember anything big, although I suspect my parents took me out to dinner at a nice place and I just don't remember it. At 16 I got a camera, which was a nice gift that I used a lot. My 18th birthday I mostly remember being very depressed because my boyfriend had just dumped me. We probably did something, but I've forgotten. The year I was 21 happened to be a bad year in my family, so we probably didn't do much. I remember having a big party when I turned 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement