Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 02:35 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok laugh but I've wondered if Cougar is a derogatory term.
Among me and my friends (many of who are cougars, or are married to women older than themselves, it is simply a descriptive term, for a woman in a relationship with a younger man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 02:46 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Among me and my friends (many of who are cougars, or are married to women older than themselves, it is simply a descriptive term, for a woman in a relationship with a younger man.
When I think of cougar, I think of Mrs. Robinson from The Graduate.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:31 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
It's a woman who hunts for younger men, just being with a younger man doesn't make you a cougar.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-12-2018, 07:36 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's a woman who hunts for younger men, just being with a younger man doesn't make you a cougar.
The word does have more than a whiff of “predatory” attached to it, so I agree.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh Don. I used to like you..... LOL.

Me too!! Especially since he had a soft spot for kitties! Well at least he is honest :-)

Old 08-12-2018, 10:38 PM

So for the men that said they don't find older women attractive....

The woman pictured as #6 (Long Braided Hair for Older Women) on the link below...... is she someone you could not even imagine dating because she is "in society's eyes" considered old?

I seriously have a woman crush on her and I am a straight woman. I find her very attractive! She exudes confidence, warmth, genuineness, strength and poise! Yes, she has gray hair and wrinkles that reflect a lifetime of emotions. But it is all of the above that make her so attractive!

30+ Long Hairstyles for Older Women | Long Hairstyles 2017 & Long Haircuts 2017

Old 08-12-2018, 11:29 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
The woman pictured as #6 (Long Braided Hair for Older Women) on the link below...... is she someone you could not even imagine dating because she is "in society's eyes" considered old?
Oh good grief, here we go again on long vs short hair. Curiously, women are more obsessed with that than men.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Oh good grief, here we go again on long vs short hair. Curiously, women are more obsessed with that than men.
If that is all you took away from my post then I think you are suffering from some sort of "complex".

It was a picture of an older women who appears to be in the age range that many men said they did not find attractive at all. My question to "them" was if they found her attractive and if they would possibly date her if they were single. So if all you noticed was hair (just because that is the link it was on)....then you my dear have issues!

Old 08-13-2018, 12:30 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
If that is all you took away from my post then I think you are suffering from some sort of "complex".
Mea culpa, and thanks, I think.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:59 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
But it has existed and still does but companies will not spend money promoting products that people won't buy. Razors, deodorants, hair coloring products still exist and there is an occasional advertising campaign but the days of Brylcream, Vitalis and Canoe have come and gone. There has not been the same level of advertising because men don't spend anywhere near what women do on products to make them what they are not.

These things have been in the faces of men for decades, but you're right - men don't listen to advertisers telling them what they need, they decide for themselves.
Haha...well, you don't get it. As I said, it's the other way around. The advertising came first and items sell due to the nature of how they have been marketed, presented in such a way to portray a product will make one appear more acceptable instead of as is, affecting self-esteem. Just to mention, which appears you have not realized, that there are not many products for males, only generic items for general grooming as women use besides, compared to the several aisles in stores having countless items for women to make them feel appealing enough.

The point is, it is the way the stuff has been marketed, implying that a female is not enough without enhancement. This has existed for years and is proven to have now affected young girls adversely, where when having researched young boys about how they feel about themselves in comparison, it is unequal due to the effects of this. No wonder males are never impacted by having it implied they are "not good enough". That's why conversely, as others mentioned here, that men may not make an effort to present themselves more attractively, feeling secure enough "as is", even if slovenly, etc.

Look, I didn't make this up, it is what has occurred. Just another form of inequality, but is not hew.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-hdb101810.php

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...guiding-report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement