Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:46 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
My mother's younger brother came back from WWII with issues that today would be classified as PTSD. He could not hold a job because he would show up for a few days and then find some excuse not to show up for work. His marriage eventually failed and he wound up living on the streets or wherever he could find a place to stay for a couple of dollars a night.

He kept in touch with his older brother who tried to help him but as others have pointed out, some people are their own worst enemy. He just couldn't fit into any kind of a structured life; it made him "nervous", as my mom used to put it, and he'd disappear for days or weeks on end. Every so often he'd call my mom and plead for money; she'd send a $5 bill to whatever address he was staying at (that $5 was one-half of the weekly household allowance that my mom got from my dad, by the way) and felt guilty that she couldn't send more. My dad, who was normally the most generous, open-hearted, open-handed person in the world (and had been through his own bad war experiences himself) referred to my uncle as "that bum".

I only met him once, when I was in grade school. My impression was that he was a kind person who was more than a little childlike himself. Not in a "slow" way but more that he seemed unworried and unhurried, but at the same time sad -- as if he knew he should be living a life different than the one he had. I think he had a keen sense of how disappointed people were in him.

He died in 1981 when in his mid-60s. I think he was living near his older brother at the time. Because he was an Army vet, at least he was entitled to be buried in a National Cemetery. I do know that my mom and her brother tried to get him mental and physical health treatment at one of the VA hospitals but he would usually make the appointment and then not show up. I've often wondered how many veterans past and present ended up in a life similar to my uncle's even though help may be or may have been available.
Yes, a guy I went to high school with was not in the service, but something went wrong in his life and he ended up homeless in NYC. His brother was a cop and his family tried to help him, but he just got into drugs and started living on the street. I think he had a learning disability of some sort because he started school in my grade and was left back. I am not sure he graduated from high school.

Someone we know saw him one day helping a hot dog cart guy. He was wearing a long coat even though it wasn't cold out. Eventually he ended up murdered, found in an alley in a garbage bag. It was so sad. I remember him as a kid. He was kind of shy, but a nice guy, and it's just sad that his life took that turn and no one could help him.

Back then, dyslexia and other learning disabilities still weren't considered a real thing unless you were obviously "mentally retarded", and the kids who had trouble learning were just considered stupid and even called that sometimes by the teachers. I wonder if his life would have been different if someone had given him the help he needed as a kid.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:07 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Shelters are often more dangerous than being on the street. And there's no way for someone to protect their "stuff" - its a hot and a cot, no storage facilities. People use their shoes as pillows sometimes just to try to keep them from being stolen while they sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 01:35 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I had a doctor's appointment last week. I parked my car in the lot outside the building and immediately had a man come up to me asking for money.

No, I did not give him any.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:37 PM

405 posts, read 257,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Why do homeless people walk around with coats on when it's boiling hot outside? I see that all the time in the city. I would offer someone who is homeless some food but I would never give them money. You never know if they're chemically dependent and I don't want to contribute to their habit.

Because they don't have closets to store them?

I give money because even drug addicts have to eat and buy things. Besides, once you're addicted to heroin, going off the drug can kill you faster than skipping a meal. The dollar you are not giving them isn't going to make them kick the habit, but giving them money might buy them a sandwich.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:45 PM

405 posts, read 257,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The major reason for being homeless is mental illness

That is a common myth. The main reason for homelessness is the downward spiral of addiction and felony arrest. - i.e. do drugs/alcohol. get fired, can't pay the rent, get evicted, a lifetime of being a pain in the a** to your family and friends so your bridges are burnt.

Then we have arrest records. Come out of prison with no money, no prospect for being hired, no chance of anyone renting to you with a record.....etc.

Yes, there's a lot of mental illness, but more so the paths you've chosen and the impossibility of redemption in an age where any employer or landlord can call up your past with a click of a mouse.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:07 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
Because they don't have closets to store them?

I give money because even drug addicts have to eat and buy things. Besides, once you're addicted to heroin, going off the drug can kill you faster than skipping a meal. The dollar you are not giving them isn't going to make them kick the habit, but giving them money might buy them a sandwich.
^^
Do you REALLY think a drug addict will buy lunch with the money you give them?

Eye rolling going on here!

Old 08-13-2018, 04:29 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I have three checking accounts from three different banks as well as several IRAs and brokerage accounts with two different firms and I don't receive mailed statements from any of them, so you're really not making much of a point there.
True you probably use a computer to retrieve your statements . Good for you!

So your alluding then that this lady has a computer...access and a dedicated email to retrieve her statements. Could be. But what does that have to do with qualifying for a po box?

I'm sorry if you wish to find fault in my post.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:07 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
True you probably use a computer to retrieve your statements . Good for you!

So your alluding then that this lady has a computer...access and a dedicated email to retrieve her statements. Could be. But what does that have to do with qualifying for a po box?

I'm sorry if you wish to find fault in my post.

I don't receive statements in the mail. She may have had an address when she signed up for social security, accounts, etc that is no longer current but still serves the purpose. She can walk into the bank with an old id and do business. She may even have someone who looks out for her and respects her choice of lifestyle.

shopping carts are so handy and make walking in the city much easier than conventional walkers. Too bad they are so conspicuous and expensive.

It still bothers me that a stranger, even a well meaning one, can walk into a police station and they will chat about my business.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:40 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
I have pretty much stopped giving money to homeless, I would rather donate it to the place I volunteer, which helps a lot of people. I feel it goes further that way.

I am even leery of giving them food as I have heard they throw it out and buy what they want. Anyway the place I volunteer is open 9-6 and there is always food available. And there is a free bus system throughout the area.

I don't mind giving someone a ride, I used to live near the Appalachian Trail and would sometimes give lifts to hikers.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
That is a common myth. The main reason for homelessness is the downward spiral of addiction and felony arrest. - i.e. do drugs/alcohol. get fired, can't pay the rent, get evicted, a lifetime of being a pain in the a** to your family and friends so your bridges are burnt.

Then we have arrest records. Come out of prison with no money, no prospect for being hired, no chance of anyone renting to you with a record.....etc.

Yes, there's a lot of mental illness, but more so the paths you've chosen and the impossibility of redemption in an age where any employer or landlord can call up your past with a click of a mouse.
The only reason I say that mental illness is the major cause of homelessness is that I am a retired Social Worker and worked with the homeless in our area. But yes, there are other reasons. Some are not mentally ill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement