Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:56 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times

Advertisements

I work in South Georgia and for about three weeks now I have noticed what appears to be a homeless lady making rounds about town pushing a cart in which it appears are all her worldly belongings.

She was out this morning and I snapped this just a few minutes ago on my way home from church

It is hot and humid right now and I wondered where she slept... I wonder whatever happened in her life to end up in this condition.... didn't someone once love her? What about her children or relatives?

It really bugged me and while she never pan handled or asked for money there has been a couple times that I gave her $10 saying "here, I want you to have this and God bless you" whereupon she would say "thank you and God bless you too".

She is always close to that cart , she carries her own chair and when she isn't walking you might find her under the shade of a tree or perhaps the awning of a closed store kind of out of the way.

After giving her $10 yesterday morning I had to visit a project site and on the way home I stopped by a peach orchard that sells the best homemade peach ice cream on the face of the planet. It is Georgia doncha know?

I decided to purchase two cups; one for me and the other for the homeless lady if I ran across her through town but I didn't see her so I put her cup in the freezer for later.

Every human being deserves some kindness.

What could I do? It really bugged me so I went to the local police department, small town and some good guys on the police force, and told the officer at the desk I wasn't there to complain, that nothing was wrong but there was this older lady in town pushing.... at this time a hint of a smile came across the officers face... a cart and I was worried for her safety.

I told the officer prisoners in his jail were better cared for that this defenseless senior citizen and how I felt obligated to give her a little money... it was just something I had to do as a human being.

The officers smile got bigger and he more stated than asked "she wouldn't look directly at you, would she?" and he was right.

In a very friendly manner he said the police force knew about her, they kind of keep an eye out for her but then he said they knew of two bank accounts she had in town and with a big smile he said "she probably has more money in the bank than you do". Every month she does get a social security deposit and she also gets a pension from a previous employer but she doesn't spend any of it.

She chooses to be homeless and it is a free country, dontcha know?

Do I feel taken after giving her $20 over the last couple weeks then learning of her real situation? Not at all, it was worth the $20 just to learn it is her choice and she doesn't have to be homeless if she didn't want to. The officer told me she had enough money to purchase a modest house if she wanted to.

So I am not going to give her any more money and right now I am eating the peach ice cream I bought for her yesterday. I worry about her safety but I am still eating her ice cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 11:36 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
Enjoy that ice cream!!!

Old 08-12-2018, 12:33 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,523 times
what did you expect the police to do? I hope this doesn't sound rude. I'm just curious.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:44 PM

292 posts, read 163,125 times
you never know what they will do but at least she tried. Hence the reason she showed up inquiring about this lady. And was informed of her real condition.
Good you checked on her. Seems she is going down the mentally ill path... so needs to be checked on.
Some scammer will get ahold of her $$ eventually. She's likely ok for now but is mentally declining so may not have the capacity to access her funds later in life. The Cops might appreciate having a a silent partner looking out on her behalf.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
what did you expect the police to do? I hope this doesn't sound rude. I'm just curious.
I was thinking along the lines of some social agency or anything to help her. The last thing I would want to see is more burden in her life.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:18 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
At least this is rare enough in your neck of the woods that the police actually know her and know her personal and banking situation.

There are still social services that might be useful to her.

I would look them up and give them to her on a laminated index card - so if she ever needs them, she will have the numbers.

Homeless people can get free cell phones (which she should have in case of emergency).

Old 08-12-2018, 01:36 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,523 times
I wonder how the police know so much about her finances. If she sleeps in a shelter, she might have to leave during the day.

We are always concerned about retired folks sitting and watching tv. Maybe more of us should be on the road.

Maybe she spent the money you gave her on ice cream

Old 08-12-2018, 02:25 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
I've seen some TV programs that show some of the homeless prefer to live that way. Doesn't matter if you take them to a shelter; they leave the next day.

I think for these people it is a mental situation. But I've come to think who are we to decide what is right for these people? It seems they are exercising their right to decide for themselves.

There are times when interference is required; they have become destructive, dangerous to themselves and others. But if peacefully living their lives, why force change on them?
It's not always easy for us who live "normal" lives to believe these people are happy. Why not take a chance and ask someone?

Just wondering.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I've seen some TV programs that show some of the homeless prefer to live that way. Doesn't matter if you take them to a shelter; they leave the next day.

I think for these people it is a mental situation. But I've come to think who are we to decide what is right for these people? It seems they are exercising their right to decide for themselves.

There are times when interference is required; they have become destructive, dangerous to themselves and others. But if peacefully living their lives, why force change on them?

It's not always easy for us who live "normal" lives to believe these people are happy. Why not take a chance and ask someone?

Just wondering.
I saw that happen once in a homeless shelter in Toledo, Ohio. It was in a city owned building downtown but it had a few rules like no smoking, no drinking and no drugs. That simple and it was January (cold as all heck) and I was totally amazed at the people who preferred to stay outside.

But I also know in this small town if she asked for help, money or not, there would be a good number of good people who would step forward and do the right thing.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:47 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
And why did the cops know about that woman's financials? They did a thorough investigation on her. And I believe it was done in HER interests. They aren't looking to get a pay-off from it. They are just watching out for the people in their town.
Knowledge is always a good thing to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement