Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:39 PM

329 posts, read 464,767 times

Advertisements

Oregon or Washington COAST is almost always cool in the summer. I been several times in summer months and i was freezing LOL.. Its affordable too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 05:53 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,404,586 times
I have the same goal as the OP: somewhere to escape the uncomfortable summers where I live (Houston). For me, high altitude, low latitude would be ideal, except that Hawaii seems to be the only choice for that in the US.

A lot of the other places people have mentioned are nice, but some of those do get hot at times and/or have a strong mosquito season. I found Acadia Natl. Park (and the rest of coastal Maine) to be beautiful, but got eaten alive by mosquitos. Same thing happened in the Wind River Mtns. in Montana. Also in Canada and in Moscow, Russia in August. I've read they can be really nasty in much of Russia (Siberia) and also in Alaska. So, thats something to consider.

But ... for me as a city-oriented guy, some place like Portland OR or Seattle might work, or even the California coast. Despite the "heat waves" they've had recently, it can't be as bad as Houston in the summer. (Although Houston is generally pretty nice the rest of the year.)

Old 08-15-2018, 06:36 PM

34 posts, read 27,285 times
Higher altitude isn't always the solution for us in Sacramento; some days it gets so hot here (100-105) that, driving 90 mins to Lake Tahoe only nets us a 12-degree cooler climate...so it might be 88 instead of 100. This isn't always true, but quite often. And then, there's the constant afternoon sun....

Luckily, we have very little humidity, and very few bugs. There is a night time cooling effect most days. Temp drops 30-40 degrees so a/c rarely necessary overnight here in Sac. Central California coast is a much better heat escape for us (20 degrees cooler on average), but too far for a day trip.

It's getting harder and harder to deal with traffic, long drives, very high rental fees (and hotel costs), just to avoid extreme heat for a few days. Renting for a month, or the whole summer makes more sense.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:53 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,330,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I did not realize until this week that even Portland, Oregon can get 25 days or more in the 90s.
As I mentioned you would like Lake-shore and Shade. Shade, like lots of trees. Lake like cool breezes over.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:15 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,503,768 times
Head for Canada, you'll do all right with the current exchange rate.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 AM

8,093 posts, read 8,222,848 times
https://summercitizens.usu.edu

That’s a link to Utah State U’s summer citizens program where you can stay in Logan, UT and participate in the summer program for those 50+ in recreational and educational classes and activities. We enjoyed our summer there. Many people have been going for 20+ years. Nice people. Lovely cool weather. Welcoming town. Very affordable. Free local bus in town. Great live theatre — very reasonable.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:12 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,835,198 times
Door County Wi. is very popular in summer. It's on a peninsula surrounded by cold Lake Michigan.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 AM

10 posts, read 8,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
https://summercitizens.usu.edu

That’s a link to Utah State U’s summer citizens program where you can stay in Logan, UT and participate in the summer program for those 50+ in recreational and educational classes and activities. We enjoyed our summer there. Many people have been going for 20+ years. Nice people. Lovely cool weather. Welcoming town. Very affordable. Free local bus in town. Great live theatre — very reasonable.
That looks very interesting! Have you done it before? Do you know if any other college campuses have something similar?

Old 08-16-2018, 11:43 AM

643 posts, read 325,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Door County Wi. is very popular in summer. It's on a peninsula surrounded by cold Lake Michigan.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Pricey also.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:23 PM

8,093 posts, read 8,222,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMaeMae View Post
That looks very interesting! Have you done it before? Do you know if any other college campuses have something similar?
We did it for an entire session in 2016. Very lovely and met some great people we still stay in contact with. We’ll return again, just have been busy the past 2 summers.

I hear there are a couple of other campuses that do this. Here’s one in Minnesota.

http://d.umn.edu/housing-residence-l...rental-program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement