Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:36 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Asheville isn't cool in the summer. Look into the High Country around Boone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Depends how far you want to travel and by what means.

Halifax can be nice in summers.

Queenstown, NZ if you prefer to be snow skiing in July,

Estes Park Colorado is quite 'central' to USA and 1.5 hrs from DEN.

Similar in SLC, (mtn retreats within 1 hr of airport)
NM closer? Ruidoso or Angel Fire

Old 08-15-2018, 08:55 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I am far from retirement age and therefore not thinking from the entirely same perspective as you. However, I have lived in FL most of my life and cannot stand the summers either. I am more of a big city person so my experiences skew that way, but here are some of my favorite summertime destinations, most of which are blatantly obvious (ok as I was paring down my list I had a lot of trouble and included pretty much everything lol):

Vancouver, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Denver, Seattle, Portland (ME, but I guess OR is good also), SF, Boston, Minneapolis. Chicago and NYC are technically my favorites but they too have been very hot at times.

Places that I would like to go but have not been:

Edmonton, Asheville, mountain resorts of Colorado, Alaska, UP Michigan, Western Michigan.

Regarding travel distances since you mentioned pets, perhaps check out the Smoky mountains in TN?

BTW, Acadia is beautiful you will enjoy it! I also highly highly recommend Banff and Jasper, between Vancouver and Calgary in Canada.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I am far from retirement age and therefore not thinking from the entirely same perspective as you. However, I have lived in FL most of my life and cannot stand the summers either. I am more of a big city person so my experiences skew that way, but here are some of my favorite summertime destinations, most of which are blatantly obvious (ok as I was paring down my list I had a lot of trouble and included pretty much everything lol):

Vancouver, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Denver, Seattle, Portland (ME, but I guess OR is good also), SF, Boston, Minneapolis. Chicago and NYC are technically my favorites but they too have been very hot at times.

Edmonton, Asheville, mountain resorts of Colorado, Alaska, UP Michigan, Western Michigan.

Regarding travel distances since you mentioned pets, perhaps check out the Smoky mountains in TN?

BTW, Acadia is beautiful you will enjoy it! I also highly highly recommend Banff and Jasper, between Vancouver and Calgary in Canada.
My wife is from TO and we go often. It can get very hot in the summer there.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:28 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Northern Maine has perfect summers. Average 2 days per summer in the 90s. 30-40 days in the 80s. 30-40 days in the 70s. Moderate humidity.
(Coastal Maine can be much cooler and foggy. ...

Rent a Maine camp for a month. You will never regret it.
You beat me to it. I was absolutely going to suggest coastal Maine. (I lived in the Bath area one summer and only needed short sleeves for about about two weeks. Went to Reid State Park every day, my favorite stunning place on the East Coast).

Had I not moved to mountain Colorado full time, I'd be looking for a summer location in Maine to get out of the Massachusetts humidity, which has gotten worse and worse in the 45 years I lived there. Not hotter, stickier.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:48 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

The Smokys are hot and can be humid in the summer. There's nowhere to stay at the higher elevations where it's cooler.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:56 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMaeMae View Post
I see lots of talk about moving to warmer climates for retirement, or snowbirds with 2 homes. For those of us living in very hot, humid climates, do you have any suggestions for places to get away for the hottest part of the summer. We will never own multiple homes. We will likely stay here where our children are and the COL is low. But, I feel as housebound in the summer as some do in the winter in cold climates. I can’t stand walking out into an oven every day. I would like to try renting different places in cooler climates for a few months every year. Any suggestions about where to start?
Pacific Northwest on a shaded lake-shore property. Heaven.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:28 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Up here in VT this summer we have had the same 90+ degree heat wave as the rest of the country. This past week has been lovely. But we had several weeks of never ending heat this summer.
Speak for yourself!

It's been mostly mid to high 80s here in Miami. We had a grand total of four 90-degree days in June, six 90-degree days in July, and only one such day halfway through the month of August. So 65 of 76 days this summer have been mid to high 80s, with no further 90-degree days projected.

That's just a reminder for all those who write that "Florida" is unbearable, horrible, etc., in the summer as if all of Florida had the exact same temperature and humidity.

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USFL0316:1:US

Old 08-15-2018, 10:45 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Your local library. BONUS: All that reading you can do about places you'd like to visit with better climates, LOL!

Old 08-15-2018, 10:47 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMaeMae View Post
I would like to try renting different places in cooler climates for a few months every year. Any suggestions about where to start?
Well, my wife is flying to Praiano on Monday for a few weeks, where I believe the temps are mostly in the 70s to low 80s.

But I'll have to make due with a domestic beach because I wasn't invited, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement