Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:08 AM

106,182 posts, read 108,140,134 times

Advertisements

yep , . i screwed up the wording order , i see what you mean . but in any case everyone needs to understand unless you were born pre 1954 you never relinquish your benefit nor do you have a choice as to your own benefit or spousal .

you always get and keep your own benefit now and any adjustments for spousal are added on .

you get people arguing this all the time . they still think you trade your benefit for a spousal if it is higher and that is no longer true .

one thing i do want to add that is not clear on the ss website .

my spouse is 2 years older than me . she took her ss at 62. she was deemed at 62 to have filed for her own plus any spousal due her .

well she could not get spousal yet because i did not file until 65 when she was 67 .

if you use the ss calculator it showed her getting less because it assumed her spousal was starting at 62 . but in reality she may have been deemed filing for it but did not actually get the first adder until she was fra so she actually ended up with more .

if both file early there is a bit of a penalty on the spousal because that page with the chart i posted is what the calculator is based on ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-17-2018 at 03:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 04:29 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,181,448 times
Thank you. Now we are all on the same page.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 3,486 times
Thanks everyone for the great answers to my question.
I have learned much from the discussion and links!

I understand it a bit better now.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:09 AM

10 posts, read 8,629 times
I could not be more confused. Thank goodness I have a few years to figure it out.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:31 PM

140 posts, read 141,699 times
Default Born in September 1953

How does being born in September 1953 change the equation, please? Husband was born in July 1956.
Best, Reddog53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yep , . i screwed up the wording order , i see what you mean . but in any case everyone needs to understand unless you were born pre 1954 you never relinquish your benefit nor do you have a choice as to your own benefit or spousal .

you always get and keep your own benefit now and any adjustments for spousal are added on .

you get people arguing this all the time . they still think you trade your benefit for a spousal if it is higher and that is no longer true .

my spouse is 2 years older than me . she took her ss at 62. she was deemed at 62 to have filed for her own plus any spousal due her .

well she could not get spousal yet because i did not file until 65 when she was 67 .

if you use the ss calculator it showed her getting less because it assumed her spousal was starting at 62 . but in reality she may have been deemed filing for it but did not actually get the first adder until she was fra so she actually ended up with more .

if both file early there is a bit of a penalty on the spousal because that page with the chart i posted is what the calculator is based on ..

Old 08-17-2018, 02:22 PM

most of the spousal claiming techniques were done away with unless you were grandfathered in by being 62 or older in 2015.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Now I have a question that will muck up this thread, but it is about spousal, so please bear with me.

I filed restricted to let my benefit grow after my wife started her SS at FRA. I just noted that if I go to the SS site, and check my Social Security statement, my benefit is now gone- replaced by the amount I get for spousal. As a result, I can't see what it currently is. I still have my 2017 statement, and can calculate what my benefit is, but it doesn't include any current adjustments to SS (COLAs, special congressional changes, etc.) that may be happening. Is that normal? Does anyone delaying for spousal benefit lose track of their own benefit once they file for spousal?

Old 08-17-2018, 06:03 PM

not sure but i know once i filed even befor i got my first check my amounts were no longer shown

Old 08-17-2018, 06:08 PM

7,490 posts, read 13,527,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Now I have a question that will muck up this thread, but it is about spousal, so please bear with me.

I filed restricted to let my benefit grow after my wife started her SS at FRA. I just noted that if I go to the SS site, and check my Social Security statement, my benefit is now gone- replaced by the amount I get for spousal. As a result, I can't see what it currently is. I still have my 2017 statement, and can calculate what my benefit is, but it doesn't include any current adjustments to SS (COLAs, special congressional changes, etc.) that may be happening. Is that normal? Does anyone delaying for spousal benefit lose track of their own benefit once they file for spousal?
It appears to be standard practice by SSA. Same happened to my Earnings Statements when I was getting Survivor's benefit.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Thanks guys- that helps. I didn't know if it was a mistake from something I did, or normal practice.
I'll just keep figuring it out, and hope it's close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement