Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 06:09 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times

Advertisements

I was 14 and spent my time hanging around London
https://youtu.be/9WdDjbnWQoQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 06:44 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times
I was 14 as well, and watched every tidbit about the festival then and later. Wish I could have seen Joe Cocker perform...

For me it was the burgeoning music and how times were very much changing...
glad I missed the crowds, rain, mud wtc.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I was probably in my first year of teaching and was spending some time with my husband in Provincetown on Cape Cod. I saw the signs in the shop windows for some concert called Woodstock and kind of wanted to go.

Husband didn't want to go and I was undecided, so we just stayed in P'town. The place became kind of deserted but a few days later, people started coming back from Woodstock. I asked some of them how it was and they said it was wet and muddy, no bathrooms. I was SO glad I hadn't gone.

I was kind of a hippie in my beliefs--100% against Viet Nam, that was the main thing. But I wasn't a druggie or a person who wanted to get wet and muddy. Now I'm kind of in awe at anyone who actually went. Well, I'm glad for them but it wouldn't have been fun for me.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:06 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was probably in my first year of teaching and was spending some time with my husband in Provincetown on Cape Cod. I saw the signs in the shop windows for some concert called Woodstock and kind of wanted to go.

Husband didn't want to go and I was undecided, so we just stayed in P'town. The place became kind of deserted but a few days later, people started coming back from Woodstock. I asked some of them how it was and they said it was wet and muddy, no bathrooms. I was SO glad I hadn't gone.

I was kind of a hippie in my beliefs--100% against Viet Nam, that was the main thing. But I wasn't a druggie or a person who wanted to get wet and muddy. Now I'm kind of in awe at anyone who actually went. Well, I'm glad for them but it wouldn't have been fun for me.
It wasn’t all drugs and mud! It was fun and the music was awesome. The bad rap this event continues to get even after all these years never fails to amaze me.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:15 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
It wasn’t all drugs and mud! It was fun and the music was awesome. The bad rap this event continues to get even after all these years never fails to amaze me.
It fits a convenient narrative sadly. I was busy enjoying carnaby street and portobello road and life in London but I kept up with the music which was amazing.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:33 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I was stuck in the Ozark woods but listened to reports on the radio. My brother was in New Jersey and tried to get there but the roads were clogged. Archaeology magazine has a small article on a dig that is taking place there.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:50 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
I was 19 and newly-eloped. Bunch of our friends had tickets....when they first told me about it, I had no clue but we were planning to go just because everyone else was. They went up maybe Thursday or Friday....hubby and I were planning on going Saturday (despite the fact we had no tickets). Then we heard on the radio it was a sea of mud. Despite my best efforts to be a hippie, I really didn't want to go without my basic conveniences or get muddy. So we missed it. Had we gotten there, I wonder how on earth we would have been able to find our friends.

I love watching the movie and the youtubes of the performances. One funny thing from the movie: One of our friends was in the long line of cars and motorcycles waiting to get in. A cameraman filming the whole scene bumped the camera into the friend's helmet. Friend, being a tough biker type, turned around and gave the guy such a look...and it made it into the movie. His little brush with fame!

Old 08-15-2018, 10:56 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I think it would be difficult at the time to understand that Woodstock would be a cultural moment. I've been to some excellent musical festivals. I think Woodstock was a success due to the luck of time and milieu, rather than talent specifically.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:06 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
I envy those of you who were able to attend Woodstock. Perhaps in those memories we should also remember there was a War going on. Some of us were in Vietnam.

Serious Conversation, perhaps you should spend more time with people your own age. Some of the greatest musicians of the time appeared at Woodstock..... Who do you think feel short on talent? Who do you think fell short in expressing the feelings of the time? You have no clue!!!

Old 08-16-2018, 01:30 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,220 times
I was 13 and living on Long Island. Girl down the street went and when she came back she told us all her stories of the event. We were captivated with the tales and her bra less apparel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement