Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:59 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times

Advertisements

I was in Korea. I didn't know about Woodstock till I saw the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 04:42 AM

350 posts, read 229,819 times
No I didn't go but I remember listening to the radio and hearing all about it while it was happening. I was going into tenth grade and and 15 years old....just a bit too young to go to something like that. Oh, how I wanted to go though! I was mesmerized for the duration trying to hear as much as possible as I could about it.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:33 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
My uncles were 17-18 at the time and wanted to go, but they couldn't because the roads were so backed up. So they went surfing in Montauk instead

Old 08-17-2018, 07:26 AM

556 posts, read 788,611 times
While Woodstock Rocked, GIs Died | Small Wars Journal

I was 19 serving my country and didn’t really hear about Woodstock until we got a new company commander that was there.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:04 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
You're my hero.
And mine. Thanks for that ride, John!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:45 AM

643 posts, read 329,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
My uncles were 17-18 at the time and wanted to go, but they couldn't because the roads were so backed up. So they went surfing in Montauk instead
"because the roads were so backed up"

Good point!

I had a couple " windbags" claim they were at Woodstock and I asked about the traffic.

When they said......" not bad".....I knew they weren't at Windstock.

I asked if it was muddy and they said "no".

They sounded stupid about lying about Woodstock because based on their age they would have been 9 years old at the time.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:11 PM

35,065 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
It was as good as the legend, believe me, I still pinch myself that I happened on this specific cultural moment. At the time many of us thought that a future was solidifying but really, just like my HS graduation, it was a celebration of dreams with some partying with friends but also an end to youthful naivete.

Anyone else there?
I wasn't. I was 12 that summer but remember the era well. Even though I was quite liberal then, I had grave doubts about "peace and love." I have my doubts that the weekend would have been so benign if there were typical August weather. The audience was, by and large, not in great physical shape and heat would have done a lot of damage. Tempers would have flared, and it would have had the potential to get ugly.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:30 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
"because the roads were so backed up"

Good point!

I had a couple " windbags" claim they were at Woodstock and I asked about the traffic.

When they said......" not bad".....I knew they weren't at Windstock.

I asked if it was muddy and they said "no".

They sounded stupid about lying about Woodstock because based on their age they would have been 9 years old at the time.
Exactly! We lived in upstate NY and thought it would be "fun" to go and also heard they gave up on collecting tickets. People were just swarming in from all over.

The Thruway was backed up for miles and miles. You had to park your car along the highway and walk - no idea exactly how far. My boyfriend at the time (husband now) didn't want to desert his precious car for which he had saved all through high school. We didn't even know if it would be there when we got back.

Rumors had come back about the lack of bathrooms and the muddy conditions, which was not comforting. If we had known it would be such a huge deal, maybe we would have persevered (our kids are disappointed they can't claim their parents were there haha). The music and bands involved were awesome.

We shortly later did have a VW camper with a flower on the antennae so that was our nod to hippiedom!

Old 08-17-2018, 02:32 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I was a little too young and besides, I grew up closer to Woodstock AL than Woodstock NY. Still, it's a time that I remember well. For most of us, the music of our youth is always a sweet melody.
Bethel NY, not Woodstock NY.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:59 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Were you at Woodstock?

I have always liked John McCain's answer: "I wanted to go, but I was tied up at the time."

(He was POW in the infamous Hanoi Hilton, where he was bound and beaten regularly).

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 08-17-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement