Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 04:28 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

read the agreement , it is posted .

if you are breaking the rules and storing forbidden items why would you care about sticking to the 25k limit rule ? that is like bad guys having guns when the law says they can't own one ha ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 04:35 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I’ve seen too many house fire article where the contents of the safe got fried. Even in so called fireproof safes. My bank is brick and the vault is steel. Safety deposit box it is! It is free due to our CD account
Very true, most "fire safes" are rated for one hour at 1500°f.

Most fires will burn for more than an hour, and can reach temps higher than 1500°.

I learned the hard way to keep important docs in a safe deposit box due to a house fire in 1989.

Replacing all those documents became a nightmare, on top of the nightmare of the fire itself, having to replace the basics of clothes, etc. Every thing was lost.

Also excellent idea to mention having to cover having homeowners or renters insurance!!

Old 08-16-2018, 05:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i was referring to chase . they revised their safe deposit box agreement and you can no longer store , cash , or gold coins that are non collectible . we have other banks here that have also followed chase's lead .

page 2 has what is restricted

http://www.rmegold.com/dl/chase-lett...Box-Letter.pdf
Bank of America has no such restrictions. My bank.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:40 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I have a firebox you can take with you, I have four gun safes, and a regular office type safe, which was on a shelf in a closet that I managed to have fall on and broke my foot.
I think having the in house safe is the better choice, since when you do die, no one may realize that you have a safe deposit box at a bank.
Safe deposit box contents go to the state unclaimed property if abandoned for over 5 years. Just like bank accounts.

Also, banks can't randomly search your box. It legally takes two employees to do a Will search (with a certified death certificate) and the box is audited at the time so to prove nothing was removed except for a possible Will. The only other reason why it would be searched would be for illegal purposes and the bank would need a legal warrant to do so.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:27 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Do you have a safe deposit box or a safe for your valuables? We have always used a safe deposit box but am thinking of investing in a safe. In the long run will be cheaper, plus everything will be in my home for easy access. Just curious what others in similar situations have.
Both, large gun safe also stores jewelry and a Safety deposit box for important papers and computer back-ups

Old 08-16-2018, 10:30 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
some banks like chase no longer allow cash ,gold and non noncollectable coins in their boxes
No one knows what's in safety deposit boxes.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,428 times
Quote:
some banks like chase no longer allow cash ,gold and non noncollectable coins in their boxes
We live in Florida but always dealt with Chase in NYC and now in Florida.
We just opened a larger safety deposit box at Chase. No one said anything about what I could keep there. I have jewelry, important papers, coins.

Maybe their rules have changed in NY?
We always had our box in NY and kept the same as above without a problem.

Maybe Mathjak has a lot of gold coins?

As I said, no one asked what we planned to store.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:05 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
check the agreement you signed for the box . it should be the same as the one i posted .chase did it country wide .

if you did not read what you agreed to ,you would never know . it is on page 2 of the agreement i posted .

Old 08-17-2018, 06:58 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
I like safes but am also a big fan of bogus safes in plain site, keeping the "real" safe hidden.

I inherited a safe that foiled a major robbery about 20 years back. Safe was heavy but 2 people could lift it (it was the size of a 2 drawer file cabinet). Burglars broke it loose from the floor (used the weight of the safe to break the floor bolts). They dragged it to the front door but couldn't lift it to get it in the getaway car. 600K in uninsured jewelry was in the safe.

Owner didn't want the safe anymore, she considered it "bad luck".....I took it as "good luck!"

Old 08-17-2018, 08:13 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Do you have a safe deposit box or a safe for your valuables? We have always used a safe deposit box but am thinking of investing in a safe. In the long run will be cheaper, plus everything will be in my home for easy access. Just curious what others in similar situations have.
Cost, hmm...

I pulled my receipt, and delivered my safe was $2,499. I certainly wasn't going to pick it up myself, or with three strong men. No tax on safes in WA.

Mine is a Liberty Lincoln, gorgeous and fits the color motif, too (looks great). LX25, brass hardware, gloss burgundy, tan interior, lighting, dehumidifier. Floor model so I saved some money there too. I don't have it completely full, but one tends to fill what room one has in safes. I think that's a great thing. Guns, valuables, and paper you'd hate to lose. It's actually attractive and interesting furniture, in my Man Cave/basement.

In about eleven years (give or take), I'm leaving this house. Sadly, the safe must stay. I will miss it. I move things in and out I'd say every other day. I don't like going to a bank to do the same.

OTOH, my dad did that for years, but he was more frugal than me and just dealt with it.

Let's see: in modern dollars, I think $30/month is a good bet for a safe deposit box. Or, $360/year. Well look at that: in seven years, my safe is paid off. I never really did the math, just wanted the convenience. I've had mine about $2K "worth" of time so far, so will be "paid off" this year or next.

Whouda thunkit....yep, get a Liberty (something) OR other non-garbage brand, please. Fire resistance is good, too. I have no practical experience how well that actually works, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement