Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 04:41 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,193 times

Advertisements

I couldn't give up motorcycling or even skiing yet, I'm only 66.

Knock on wood, not trees...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 05:00 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,149 times
I gave up sky diving: none of that safe tandum stuff, yrs ago, when after 3 static line jumps using the old WW2 rags, I broke an ankle, then ended up in power lines, yrs ago. Then, horse pack trips, tough rides in Europe, I had to give up, after a triple spinal fusion when I lost some nerve/muscle control in my left leg. Getting old is really the S___ts. So I advise you young folks reading this: I don't care what you have to borrow, charge your credit cards, etc _ have your adventures NOW, when you are young and strong. You can always pay off your debts when you are old. Nothing beats pushing your limits, creating memories.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:16 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
OH and the absolute riskiest activity I gave up was falling in love and ever trusting a woman again!

Old 08-22-2018, 10:56 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I'm watching a guy para-gliding down onto our beach which is very common here. Also a guy who has a motorized hang-glider. A few of us have discussed if we'd do any of these activities in our 60s-age little community here. A few have done of them, some wouldn't consider it.

Maybe age has nothing to do with it, but are there activities you once did, but won't anymore for whatever reason? Some of our 60s guys here still surf, which I think is awesome.

For example, I used to roller-blade a few years ago, but would be too apprehensive of falling now, due to my artificial joints. Same with skiing. Horseback riding was my big thing but now afraid of falling off, same reasons.

Would you go parachuting? Water-skiing? Ride in small planes?

If you've given up a lot, how much is it bothering you?
I have a list of things I know I will not die doing. You covered a few of them.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:30 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
same here . i used to do a lot of mountain biking . but one shattered collarbone later i no longer do anything but on road .

me in a mountain biking competition 20 minutes before shattering my collarbone . at least i was wearing my big boy biking outfit in the emergency room ha ha ha

Oh lordy. I'm in therapy with a guy who fell off of his bike breaking his arm and collar bone. He says he will ride again. I will too. I broke my radius and shattered and dislocated my wrist ice skating backwards. Will I ice skate, roller skate, ski, and ride my bike again? Oh heck yes. I may rethink that whole going backwards thing though.

Nice to see you in a picture mathjak. I so enjoy your posts.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:40 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,491,199 times
Not that I ever did, but "chasing around" is one of those things you give up when you got a great spouse.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:13 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,774,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Not that I ever did, but "chasing around" is one of those things you give up when you got a great spouse.

You never married, or you never gave up "chasing around"???

ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

Old 08-22-2018, 04:21 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Scuba diving I gave up....

but not age so much as just so darn technical it took the fun out of it for me....
plus it's a lot more dangerous than many realize. You can see a lot from snorkeling...

Old 08-22-2018, 04:32 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,256,865 times
Now this may shock some people but I will say it.
At 55, I won't engage in any risky sports but if given the chance, I would go skydiving, parachuting or some other very memorable event.
I would possibly do horseback riding... But no skiing; downhill I wish I had courage to attempt again. It would have to be a super-bunny-hill for 1 year olds!

Old 08-22-2018, 04:45 PM

112 posts, read 69,722 times
I've given up drinking a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer in one sitting. This used to be my mid week ritual as a way to decompress from work. Now I just drink 2 24 oz cans of beer. But I'm thinking of downgrading to a 32oz bottle of beer now once a week.

I've also given up smoking. At first I gave up smoking for vaping. But I even stopped vaping.

I don't do anything else like hang gliding, rock climbing, motor biking, etc. I work out, eat, sleep, spend time on the computer or tv, go to church, and that's it.

I'm turning 43 later this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement